Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Interested in this as well, I've heard some rougher tires wear out real quick and make a helluva noise

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,397 Posts
I have been a big fan of the Michelin Anakee Wild and the Metzeler Karoo. But my XT and XR spent way more time off road than on it. Both of those work flawlessly on fire roads,log crossings, streams, ...........

The Karoo did chunk on the highway, but that's after a lot of off road abuse already

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
I know a guy that really likes his Karoo's for the mostly light off road stuff he does.

I had Avon Distanzia tires and loved them on the street with my DRZ. Even did a track day with them. If I went off road and it was wet I was screwed. I dislocated and separated my shoulder last Christmas when the front end washed out in mud. Still have issues with my shoulder.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
At one point or another, on every 21/18 setup I've run on the street, I ran a set of Shinko 705's. Never got down with the "these work on and off road" attitude though for reasons as RG stated, I really don't like falling down with a big dual sport bike. I like knobbies when I'm offroad, otherwise I'm usually just commuting or exploring the simple stuff. Dual sport bikes, for me, tend to be a way to spend a little time offroad and alot of time thinking I'll probably end up offroad eventually. :D

For a do it all tire that didn't break the bank on my DRZ I did love the consistency and offroad traction of my IRC GP1's. Ended up selling the bike with them back on it at the end after trying quite a few different setups. The combo of a GP1 up front and a 130-17 Twinduro out back was pretty awesome, but never found out how the wear character panned out before I put the 18 back on the rear and got rid of the bike, but the traction both on and offroad was incredible, way more dry road grip than I ever expected out of a big blocky knobbie tire.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interested in this as well, I've heard some rougher tires wear out real quick and make a helluva noise
I expect both of those symptoms. A dual purpose tire is gonna be just like a dual purpose anything. Great at nothing, but good at more than 1 thing. I dont mind the compromise.

What ratio on/off are you looking at?

I knew I should probably address this, but I can't really say. I think most dual sports riders like to pretend they are some kind of Off-road Hero. I like paved twisties. I like woods, too. I don't care for mud at all.

To answer your question: it all depends on the mood. I know I might be staying on pavement for weeks at a time. Then I might stay in dirt for weeks at a time. It'll be totally random and why I chose to own this type of bike. Again, great at nothing, but good at everything.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been a big fan of the Michelin Anakee Wild and the Metzeler Karoo. But my XT and XR spent way more time off road than on it. Both of those work flawlessly on fire roads,log crossings, streams, ...........

The Karoo did chunk on the highway, but that's after a lot of off road abuse already
Hadn't seen either of these, so I just checked them out. Are the pics misleading, or do they have sorta shallow tread height? Any idea of tread life on pavement? I also understand that a knobby is actually wore out ( for offroad use) long before its actually wore out.

Most of my off road riding will be hilly woods. Slow stuff with wet leaves on the ground. I like hill climbs,but not rocky ones.

Rocks and muds are for Jeeps.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At one point or another, on every 21/18 setup I've run on the street, I ran a set of Shinko 705's. Never got down with the "these work on and off road" attitude though for reasons as RG stated, I really don't like falling down with a big dual sport bike. I like knobbies when I'm offroad, otherwise I'm usually just commuting or exploring the simple stuff. Dual sport bikes, for me, tend to be a way to spend a little time offroad and alot of time thinking I'll probably end up offroad eventually. :D

For a do it all tire that didn't break the bank on my DRZ I did love the consistency and offroad traction of my IRC GP1's. Ended up selling the bike with them back on it at the end after trying quite a few different setups. The combo of a GP1 up front and a 130-17 Twinduro out back was pretty awesome, but never found out how the wear character panned out before I put the 18 back on the rear and got rid of the bike, but the traction both on and offroad was incredible, way more dry road grip than I ever expected out of a big blocky knobbie tire.

705 is what's on the bike now. Those front tires are reeeeally bad in the rain on pavement. My rear is almost slick and it's cracked around the tread blocks really bad. On dry, I can flat out haul on the paved twisties. I can corner faster on this bike now than I ever could with my CB on 17'' Rossi's :nuts: I'm gonna miss that, but no way a 705 will work for me in the woods. Or in the rain, for that matter. I'm gonna call the 705 are really great sumo tire for someone who parks when it rains.

GP1 is one tire I've been looking hard at. Kenda makes a tire (K270) with a nearly identical tread pattern for a fraction of the cost of the IRC. It'd be nice to feel both tires for compound/ sidewall differences.

Funny you mentioned the Twinduro, too! I was considering a GP1 up front with a 606 out back. Lots of reviews claim that 606's have developed a reputation of throwing off tread blocks, so that concerns me. And they're pricey!

I like the orientation of the cornering lugs on the GP1 rear tire, but I wash there was a little more spacing between lugs on the center stripe. I have a KLR. I know it's heavy. It needs to be kept upright as much as possible, so I need my offroad traction in the middle of the tire and would like more closely spaced lugs on the sides for paved cornering. I've considered the idea of trimming the lugs in the GP1 center stripe for more straight line bite.

A buddy has Kenda trackmasters. They perform amazingly well on road, but they cant handle paved panic braking at all. I ride at night in deer country, so thats out. Thehave a reputation of being wore out for offroad use in under 1k miles and completely shot by 1500-2000 miles. I cant afford to change my tires twice as often as my oil.

The Pirelly MT21 has my attention, too. They seem to have awfully shallow tread depth too, but its hard to really judge online. I wish tire specs included tread depth.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,397 Posts
Hadn't seen either of these, so I just checked them out. Are the pics misleading, or do they have sorta shallow tread height? Any idea of tread life on pavement? I also understand that a knobby is actually wore out ( for offroad use) long before its actually wore out.

Most of my off road riding will be hilly woods. Slow stuff with wet leaves on the ground. I like hill climbs,but not rocky ones.

Rocks and muds are for Jeeps.

The Anakee are not shallow by dual sport standards. They are a true 50/50 tire

·
Is my bike ok?
15,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right about that. It's impossible for someone to recommend a tire for someone else, even with all the info given. I can tell you 50/50 use, but is my definition of dirt the same as what yours might be?

My front is 90/90-21, or 3.00-21

My rear is 130/80-17,or 5.10-17

Leaning towards a IRC TR8 up front

And a Kenda K270 out back.

I dont mind a more aggressive tire up front since fronts dont wear as quickly,but looking for some longevity (tall order, I know) out back. I dont expect 5k+ miles from a rear, but 3-3500 would be nice.

Am I crazy to consider cutting tread to suit me?

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Pretty much all the back and forth about whats best is why I always had a set of spare wheels for my dual sport and dirtbike setups in the past few years. Got tired of trying to find a compromise in it all and just had a pair of 17's for the road and a 21/18 with 75/25 offroad bias rubber or just strait up knobbies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a K270 on the rear of a hot rod street legal XR650R (680 big bore, HRC cam, modified exhaust and intake, ported head, ect) 3rd and 4th gear power wheelies all day.

That tire wore like iron. I could air it down to 14-16psi (lower if I wasn't in a really rocky trail) for the dirt and it gripped like glue. Would buy them again in a heart beat for any dual sport. I ran the Kenda Trackmaster 2 (K760) on the front and never had a problem. I liked the Trackmaster 2 for the rear as well but would burn it up inside of 2,000 miles on the front I could get 5-6,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I had a K270 on the rear of a hot rod street legal XR650R (680 big bore, HRC cam, modified exhaust and intake, ported head, ect) 3rd and 4th gear power wheelies all day.

No shit! My buddy did that all (cam was a different company but about the same degree though) with a Wossner piston, Arnie Hellar custom port job, valves, XR650L "carb mod", full exhaust from front to back, the thing just goes ape shit in every single gear, like you said, 3rd and 4th gear wheelies are a normality. I laugh every time I ride the thing as it feels so docile and mellow until you crack it open and find the real go's it's got to its name. Last time I rode it I was playing around doing standups in 5th gear at what indicated as 60mph, just cracking it open, shut it, bounce up a wheelie getting back into the throttle and settle it at highway speeds just cruising along at steady rpm on the rear wheel. Made my DRZ feel like a total pooch when in reality it was the nastiest DRZ I've ever seen without a big bore or flat slide setup.

:myhijackedX:

My buddy is running Shinko 705's now (recent purchase) and he swears they are the most dry grip that bike has seen in the entire time he's owned it... and that is quite a stretch of time.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

That tire wore like iron. I could air it down to 14-16psi (lower if I wasn't in a really rocky trail) for the dirt and it gripped like glue. Would buy them again in a heart beat for any dual sport. I ran the Kenda Trackmaster 2 (K760) on the front and never had a problem. I liked the Trackmaster 2 for the rear as well but would burn it up inside of 2,000 miles on the front I could get 5-6,000 miles.

Awesome! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No shit! My buddy did that all (cam was a different company but about the same degree though) with a Wossner piston, Arnie Hellar custom port job, valves, XR650L "carb mod", full exhaust from front to back, the thing just goes ape shit in every single gear, like you said, 3rd and 4th gear wheelies are a normality. I laugh every time I ride the thing as it feels so docile and mellow until you crack it open and find the real go's it's got to its name. Last time I rode it I was playing around doing standups in 5th gear at what indicated as 60mph, just cracking it open, shut it, bounce up a wheelie getting back into the throttle and settle it at highway speeds just cruising along at steady rpm on the rear wheel. Made my DRZ feel like a total pooch when in reality it was the nastiest DRZ I've ever seen without a big bore or flat slide setup.

:myhijackedX:

My buddy is running Shinko 705's now (recent purchase) and he swears they are the most dry grip that bike has seen in the entire time he's owned it... and that is quite a stretch of time.

One reason I sold it. It was way more power then I could ever use without hurting myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts