Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to put this, so I just stuck it here where it'll get plenty of traffic.

I know a lot of us deal in a lot of different markets. I figured someone here might have a good lead on this stuff. Buying urethane blanks from aftermarket suspension companies gets real expensive real quick.

I need four blocks. Roughly 2'' x 3'' slabs that are 2''-2.5'' thick. Color doesn't matter. If urethane doesn't pan out I'd be open to some good, stiff rubber that would hold up to road conditions living underneath a vehicle.

I'm making spacers so that my frame perches will hit my overload springs sooner. No damn sense in the truck squatting 5'' before ever touching the overloads. Holler if ya got any leads. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
If you have a way to cut it I found a piece of delrin that is stronger and more durable than urethane. Not super cheap but won't really break the bank either. If you look around you might be able to find a smaller piece. There are places selling blocks in varying dimensions but it's a little difficult searching for exact sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delrin-Virg...409317?hash=item2341b7a365:g:6KUAAOSwnDZUKRgw

Here's one if you want to stack a couple to get your height. Quite a bit cheaper and no cutting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Mill-ma...996712?hash=item56808e4c28:g:JboAAOSwHnFVgjoe

Description of a delrin bushing for automotive a-arms.
High performance Delrin bushings bridge the gap between metals and ordinary plastics with a unique combination of strength, stiffness, hardness, dimensional stability, toughness, fatigue resistance, solvent and fuel resistance, abrasion resistance, low wear and low friction. Delrin is a plastic compound that is harder and more durable than urethane yet more forgiving than bronze or steel metal bushings. Delrin is the best of both worlds. Sold each.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the leg work bud. I don't have any personal experience with Delrin, just what I've seen online. I understand is pretty much just a hard plastic? Would something like be suitable in this scenario? I think it should have some sort of cushioning ability to it.

This is not my pic, but the part I want to extend. Would something like Delrin not be too brittle to crack or split? Would it click and bang when going over bumps?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Delrin is definitely more than just hard plastic. It's doubtful it would crack in my opinion.

Looking at the picture if yours is similar couldn't you move the spacer down on the frame? It looks like there might be something below them but it's hard to tell. Maybe use the two existing lower holes and drill two new ones below them? I guess unless you didn't want to drill any holes in the frame but I wouldn't think it would be enough to weaken it at all.

Or could you flip them upside down? Maybe that would be too much?

Or redesign something that would bolt in the original location? A frame plate with the flapper plate welded between the existing four holes. You would probably need a gusset if you used flat plate considering how the original is stamped to have more strength. I'm not sure if that would give you the 2-2 1/2" you are looking for. Just trying to think of other solutions.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Y'alls definition of cheap isn't the same as mine. :LolLolLolLol:

Those for $12 aren't too bad.

Moving the frame perches makes sense, and is definitely the cheapest. Holes are free. But it's cold outside and I'm lazy. I didn't want to go to the effort to move them if I discovered it was a mistake, so I was shooting for easily reversible. I've got some 2" X 3" box tubing here. I thought about building a slip over spacer with a set screw to put on the spring itself.

My ever frugal and always energetic neighbor suggested cut up truck tires. Might go that route, too. Thanks for the ideas, guys.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You can't beat Mcmaster Carr for raw materials. A block that big of a soft enough material to not be annoying when you're driving will probably have poor dimensional stability though, it will likely deform, split or crack. Just move that bracket down on the frame or weld a new one from scrap.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Well, maybe not what you need, but I'm maybe gonna be needing to put a frame bump stop on my front end. Looked at Summit, hadn't realized there were so many available so cheap. That sort of accidental cross-over learning is what I love about this place. :)

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
A little ghetto-fab, but I've had good luck with hockey pucks as bumpstops and coil spring spacers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts