Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I hope this is the correct place to ask. I am completely new to bikes and looking to get my first one. I am looking at a friends 1999 Bandit gsf 600 S. My plans are to make the bike into a streetfighter (hence me posting here).The bike has 25k miles and friend says the bike will run with choke all the way on but when you start to turn the choke off the engine cuts off. I don't know much about carburetors but I am assuming they just needs some love and cleaning. Cosmetic damage is crack on front fairing (which I plan on removing anyways), one front turn signal is different and minor tears in rear seat. He said I can buy it from him for $600. If I may ask what your opinions are and if this is a solid deal.

Thank you in advanced.

Bordeaux

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'd say that's a decent deal. Carburetor pilot jets are plugged, they're the smallest and the first to clog if it's been sitting. Not a big deal. There's lots of resources here and online to help you through a carb cleaning. Carbs aren't as scary as people make them out to be.

Check a couple things to get an idea how it's been maintained. Low/black oil, smoking when it starts, noisy engine (put your hand over the muffler to listen to hear it better). Chain that's caked in crap, ect. Evidence that maintenance has been neglected. Tires any good? That's $250 if they need replacing.

It's tougher to evaluate a bike well when you don't really have any experience on how one should drive- if possible bring a friend who has been ridng a while. The quick check for a bent frame or fork is just to ride it at highway speed, then take your hands off the bars. If it tracks one way or the other, wobbles, shakes, ect, no bueno. I wouldn't advise a noobie to do that.

Welcome to CF, and the world of being a biker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say that's a decent deal. Carburetor pilot jets are plugged, they're the smallest and the first to clog if it's been sitting. Not a big deal. There's lots of resources here and online to help you through a carb cleaning. Carbs aren't as scary as people make them out to be.

Check a couple things to get an idea how it's been maintained. Low/black oil, smoking when it starts, noisy engine (put your hand over the muffler to listen to hear it better). Chain that's caked in crap, ect. Evidence that maintenance has been neglected. Tires any good? That's $250 if they need replacing.

It's tougher to evaluate a bike well when you don't really have any experience on how one should drive- if possible bring a friend who has been ridng a while. The quick check for a bent frame or fork is just to ride it at highway speed, then take your hands off the bars. If it tracks one way or the other, wobbles, shakes, ect, no bueno. I wouldn't advise a noobie to do that.

Welcome to CF, and the world of being a biker.

Thank you for all the advice it really helps! I am supposed to go look at it this weekend and my go to motorcycle friend at Deals Gap for a week =p so he can't go with me to check it out. Hope all is well with it and I will keep you guys updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts