Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
since we're on the subject, where's a decent place to get a (cheap) MIG? all my welding has been using borrowed equipment, i need to step up and actually buy my own soon.

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
i get mine through my shop,and we order our from miller

i dunno how it is down in the states,but check with local welding shops and see if they have old ones to sell or if they can hook you with a corporate discount,or even theres one at canadian tire(do you guys even have that???)it a flex core mig and you hook gas up to it,my roomate has one and it work really good,it can even weld aluminum(with the aluminum wire)

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Green Lantern said:
ok,itll workt hen,make sure you use the right rods

what exactly are you welding on youe bike??
I dunno, I am just happy to be able to mess around. eventually I would want to do my subframe, but I would have the old man help me when to make sure I don't fu(k it up. Maybe mess with my exhuast, but prolly start with some head light brackets.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Do yourself a favor and rent/borrow a wire feed welder for work on the bike.

Stick isn't something you want to be doing structural (frame) work with unless you are REALLY good. You'll probably get a lot of slag inclusion, have porous, weak welds. Not safe....

On the subject of MIG setups, check ebay.

Lincoln makes a 175A machine that home depot sells. I wouldn't recommend going any smaller.... Plenty big for bike work... you need 220v though.

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, I was trying to feel wich one needed to be tightened as I could hear a ticking noise due to one not being tightened all the way, I am not the brightest bulb. so I put my hand inbeetween the header and engine, and all was fine for a minute, until my pinky got fried. I worked on the bike for a while, drank beers while doing it, and got dumb. :nuts:

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
mpls|cafe|racer said:
Do yourself a favor and rent/borrow a wire feed welder for work on the bike.

Stick isn't something you want to be doing structural (frame) work with unless you are REALLY good. You'll probably get a lot of slag inclusion, have porous, weak welds. Not safe....

On the subject of MIG setups, check ebay.

Lincoln makes a 175A machine that home depot sells. I wouldn't recommend going any smaller.... Plenty big for bike work... you need 220v though.

Why would you say that? Just curious.

My 100amp Lincoln SP welder is great. Personally if I was going bigger than a 110v hobby welder, I'd step to a TIG.

As far as a deal:

Home Dept/Lowes is your best bet for finding a nice garage welder. I'm not the supreme know all to welding like Cafe Racer is but I know a fair bit about welding and I've yet to be limited by my 100 amp MIG. It lays very clean, penitrating welds on anything I've ever attemped to weld. Never been let down yet. But I have no use for anything very heavy duty. I'm not welding 1/2 steel plates in my garage, ya know. lol Just 1/4 pannels, exhaust systems and subframes. But honestly, if I was to do it again. I'd buy a used TIG from a used equpiment shop here in Cleveland. They have TIG's show up for $1500-800 every now and again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts