Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Back again.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been a solid year and some odd months since I've even seen my bandit. I have moved, started a new job and never had access to a garage. I can't say I'm 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure my keys were lost in the move. That being said, I have an automatic gas lid so I don't need the key. But obviously I need one to drive it.. What options do I have besides buying a new ignition with key

G

·
There is not really a simple option apart from buying an ignition with key, there are loads on ebay pretty cheap, just make sure its a genuine one not a pattern part or you will be cutting your wiring & fitting a resistor

Other options are fit any ignition or even a switch & re-wire to suit & fit the above mentioned resistor or try to find someone who can make you a key, I'm not sure how easy getting a key is where you are but its pretty impossible here in the uk

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can remove your ignition and take it either to your local dealer or a lock shop and they should be able to get a code and cut you a new key. Ran me 40 bucks but it was worth it

·
Back again.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a locksmith right down the road so that may be the best plan. I was also considering a RFID ignition. Not sure if I need a key for that ir not. Just started researching it

·
Registered
740 Posts
Most bikes have a code on the ignition cylinder somewhere that a dealer can use to cut a new key for it. A locksmith can fit a key also if you provide proof of ownership, I had that done once and it was $25.

An ignition is just an on/off switch. A rfid ignition is a relay that closes when your "key" fob gets within a certain distance of the receiver, usually a few feet. They're a lot simpler than people make them out to be, and can be fitted to virtually any bike with a battery.

·
Back again.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would I need a key if I went to an RFID set up? I've wanted one since I saw my friend do his. If it's a better route, I should just go with that?

·
☢
5,596 Posts
A good locksmith can cut a key to fit the ignition without using a code.

For rfid, either buy a motogadget m-lock system, or a latching relay and rfid kit off eBay. You bypass the ignition lock when you go rfid.

There is a thread about a diy rfid ignition in one of the subforums on here. You'll need the wiring diagram to go about it.

·
Back again.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect. Thanks for all the help. I'll be heading to a locksmith after I check for the code. Looking forward to getting this project finished. Key and rear shock is really all I need

1 - 8 of 8 Posts