Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
☢
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last time i was haulin my bike, i had the suspension compressed, and liked the way it looked, lowered and all. so my question is why shouldn't i lower it? what does it do to the handling, or are there anyother bad things that happen?

·
mar1ey777
96 Posts
its all in how you lower your bike and set-up the suspesion . it can handle anyway you want it too if done correctly . got any pics of ur whip?:knucks:

·
put'n it together
137 Posts
From what I have heard, the main consideration, is the center of gravity as compared to wheel bass. If you get lower, or longer your bike gets less tippy. Less tippy means harder to lean/ harder to turn. This could be good or bad depending on how you use your bike. If you are planing on hitting the salt flats, I would drop it as much as I could and extend the swing arm. If you like the twisties you might find the drop disappointing, but if you say, drive mostly five over, freeway, commute to work, etc. you might not notice any real drawbacks.

I have been thinking about experimenting -raising and lowering my bike- just to get a feel for the way it handles at different heights.

You could also shorten the wheel bass to compensate for the lowering.:D

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,428 Posts
The biggest thing I've noticed with lowered bikes is that the pegs (hopefully that's what touches first) are closer to the ground. Less lean angle means less corner speed.

·
mar1ey777
96 Posts
my one bike is lowered 6 inches in the back , i still rip on it daily and yes twisties and my rear tire is a 190 i can post pics of the chikn strips that arent there . if you use adjustable rear sets and depending upon the bike you will have no prob hitting corners as usually done - :rock:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,620 Posts
my one bike is lowered 6 inches in the back , i still rip on it daily and yes twisties and my rear tire is a 190 i can post pics of the chikn strips that arent there . if you use adjustable rear sets and depending upon the bike you will have no prob hitting corners as usually done - :rock:
:ttiwwop:

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Lowering the bike changes a lot! If you lower the entire bike as opposed to just the front or rear, the handling wont change as much but it will still change. Besides lowering everything and having parts drag sooner, you are drastically changing how your rear end handles acceleration and braking. Your chain has leverage on the rear suspension when you accelerate and decelerate. Changing the angle of your swing arm could mean the bike wants to run wide when you get on the gas while leaned over, or just the opposite, it may want to tighten up. This depends on several things so its not as easy as saying "your bike will do this when you do this". You have to understand what lowering each part of the bike does for handling and if that is okay for you.

what bike are we talking about here?

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts

·
mar1ey777
96 Posts
i highly agree with the above stated . also safety is extremely important . i had a new triangle machined to keep my suspension geometry - guided by an engineer friend

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Pics or this is some OSC shit.

·
☢
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have an 06 katana, was thinking about lowering it. but after reading about all the handling and running wide while accelerating, i don't think i will, maybe i'll just go with a belly pan to give the illusion.

and as for looking like a douche, if one already looks like a douche, then will riding a douched out bike make you look cool? like when you multiply two negatives:nuts:

·
mar1ey777
96 Posts
i came to this site because others judge for the things i have done to all my bikes . i thought individuality was part of streetfighters and such . so if i am a douche because one of my bikes is lowered than thats being judgemental just like the people i came here to avoid . or any of us a douche becuase of this than to hell with this i would never of come to deal with ignorant people as commented above . i thought this was all about self expression and being free to be different - negative comments like that just show me how ignorant people are . i thought the thred starter was just looking for input not insult -:wtf:

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,428 Posts
i came to this site because others judge for the things i have done to all my bikes . i thought individuality was part of streetfighters and such . so if i am a douche because one of my bikes is lowered than thats being judgemental just like the people i came here to avoid . or any of us a douche becuase of this than to hell with this i would never of come to deal with ignorant people as commented above . i thought this was all about self expression and being free to be different - negative comments like that just show me how ignorant people are . i thought the thred starter was just looking for input not insult -:wtf:
If you thought people on this site weren't judgemental then you saw the wrong ad. There are as many people here who will put you down for your individual choices as there are anywhere else. The difference with Custom Fighters is the diverse group. Whereas one group might hate on lowered bikes, dirty bikes, fast bikes, American bikes, whatever; Custom Fighters is a group that has a hater AND a lover for whatever you're doing.

·
309 Posts
look cupcakes, were all a little douchey in someones eyes. that being said your bound to find someone who thinks your not a douche! for instance... some people hate obama, some people... REALLYY hate obama-- ok bad example but u catch my drift.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts