Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
discussion for this build goes here http://customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26296

I did some half assed mods this spring/summer and now its time to do it the right way.

I completely spaced on the newspaper but I happened to have a receipt from the post office from today so I used that.

I did start dis-assembly already and took some paint stripper to the frame, but thats not really "work".

here is the big bore motor I picked up from Mr. CK187

the new '03/'04 636 front end

here is the closet that has some of my parts and shit in it. you can see the 3 flat panel tvs that im putting on the bike;)

sorry, i saw a rerun of pimp my ride...

parts, parts, and more parts

Heres the basement room that has become the winter shop.

and finally, this is how I will be measuring the cost of this build:thumbsup:

thats it for now. I didnt get much done today. I was busy cleaning up the room from the tear down of my old motor.( anyone need any parts for a FZR 600 motor let me know:D) I did start fitting the '05 YZF tank to the frame today but forgot to grab some pictures of it.

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
very small update, but an update none the less.
the headlight is almost finished. its a suzuki LTR450r headlight that I hacked up and mounted an '08 G35 sedan Bi-Xenon projector in it. Im still waiting on the LED strip from oznium that is going on the bottom edge as an Audi type(mines going to be more of a V though) running light. then I'll polish up the lense and the headlight will be finished.

I started refreshing the old SS Russell brake lines that were looking pretty tired. I hit them with some Plastidip and will be using black caliper paint for the ends

the front wheel and rotors came in too

and the beer...:drinks:

I still need to buy a seat before I can start on the subframe so that should be coming sometime this week or the next.

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
picked up a powder coat gun and airbrush compressor yesterday. ordering some powder today so I should be able to start coating some shit this weekend hopefully. I also picked up a seat so I can start on the new subframe too. no picture worthy progress though... what a FAIL post:doh:

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
picked up some parts today(thanks CK... ...again)
R6 radiator and just toying around with it to see if its even possible, a R1 swingarm(indirectly, thanks Rob:D)

the seat should be here Friday. im cutting/welding up the subframe the day after thanksgiving so its just going to be kinda working small shit till then.

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
started mocking up the seat/tank. im not sure if i want the seat mounted at this angle or if I want a little more angle to it. the subframe will be cut welded friday.

the fzr next to the r1... a little different

not too sure whether its worth the trouble or not yet. Im thinking the R6 might be a better option

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
started work on the new subframe

its just tacked in right now

here is the triple set up back from flint

these are my two options for LEDs in the headlight. the black strip would be more inconspicuous but not as bright. the second option would have to be covered in some liquid electrical tape and cut up to make it work but will be brighter. not sure which one i'll use

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no picture updates but, i received my 99-02 r6 complete swingarm/shock set up yesterday and the rear wheel/brake assembly will be arriving on tuesday. There are some scheduling conflicts with the guy whos place my bike is at right now. He is working all weekend so we're not going to be getting the subframe welded up completely this weekend:mad:. I think the only big ticket items left to buy are sprockets/chain, supplies for the battery build, and possibly r6 rearsets. other than that its just small shit like nuts and bolts and bearings.

Im not sure what gearing I should go with though. the FZR comes stock with an 18" wheel and 15/45 sprockets the R6 is 17" wheel and 16/48 sprockets. I had 15/47 on the FZR previously and was happy with it so im looking for something similar. I know the smaller wheel will act as a gearing change its self but im hoping one of you guys will have any suggestions.

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:ttiwwop:
well, i got the subframe all welded up last night under the guiding wing of CK:rock: got the front seat bracket and both tank brackets done also. so the tank is done and the seat is pretty much done also. also got the filler plates welded into the frame and ground down the welds. just needs a little bondo and the frame smoothing will be finished.
ran into a little snag though :(
i was putting the front end together to mock it up on the bike and i discovered that my newly stem swapped bottom triple is twisted. really bad, too. i dont know how i didnt notice it before i sent it out. so now i need to find a new bottom triple and hopefully i can find someone in the area competent enough to swap the modded fzr stem over to the new one.

I'll have progress pictures and new purchase pictures up on tuesday...

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is the messed up bottom triple :(

here is how she sits at the moment. I couldnt finish the grinding cause a little one was taking a nap upstairs. I need to to pick up a bearing puller and then i can start on the swingarm.

fairly new tire, mint wheel, very lightly scuffed swingarm, chipped shock(painting anyway), and rear brake setup all for just under $90. what would I do without ebay?

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
long-time-no-update...
well, i moved at the beginning of January and my buddy moved out of his place(where the bike was) this weekend. I've been busy moving shit around and making a make-shift shop in the new basement. Today i finally cut the swingarm and frame so all im waiting on are spacer sleeves that are being made as i type this and new bearings from Yamaha and then fitting the swinger will be finished. I got the 636 front sprocket and my new, straight bottom triple. I'll be running around looking for a competent fab shop to swap over the stem this week.

proof i cut my shit up

got the exhaust blasted really cheap, now its waiting for some VHT flameproof later this week

this is where im working for the remainder of the buildoff. notice the awesome painting of a bicycle from the previous tenants lol

i plan on doin the bondo this week if i have the time too...
thats it for now, just thought i'd let you guys know im still alive:thumbsup:

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did some work so i dont get kicked in the bag. got the swingarm bearings back in and put the pivot bolt spacers in. I finished up the seat mounts. Painted the exhaust and the radiator. I started on filling in the frame with filler but got all kinds of light headed so i had to call it quits on that. I got bottom triple no. 2 back from flint so i was able to put the front end on and get a feel for how it will look. I started making my battery but i need to pick up some flux for the positive sides as they are a bitch to get solder to stick to. I need to fab up a mount for the top of the shock and a shock linkage mount and tabs for the radiator. after that and the body filler, it will be ready for line-x. I hope to have the mounts done and welded on by the end of the week(time permitting) so i can get the frame out of the way.

radiator and exhaust

battery cells before i attempted to solder them

and starting to fill in the frame

im thinking i'll need to make some "trim panels" for the sides of the headlight that have the same sort of shape as the housing to hide the back of the projector. possibly mount a LED strip there for signals... idk

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the shock mounts mostly done. need to finish up a couple welds and clean it up a bit but its a rolling chassis now.

got the battery done minus the shrink wrap the electrical tape is temp

started skeletonizing the sprocket cover(thanks to steves thread)

bondo done.

im going to be using the stock steering stop as a base to weld a tab on for the steering damper

then i need to weld a new stop in the back. heres a brush handle in place of a metal bar so you get the idea

once those brackets are made its off to the line-x guy

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright i got most of the big stuff painted. there are still a few smaller items that are left but im going to pick up a small toaster oven and PC those i think.

Frame Line-Xed

got the new 520 sprocket 48 tooth

painted the engine semi-gloss. im thinking im going to paint the yamaha on the two covers gold instead of painting the entire covers.

painted the swingarm, tank, triples, steering damper, and overflow semi-gloss with a gloss clear

the tank and overflow bottle need wetsanding and buffing but should turn out pretty nice for rattle can.

got some R6 fans for the R6 radiator cause the FZR ones where a little too big

I am waiting to get the invoice for the wheel straightening but that should be any day now. I ordered a new pilot power 2ct to match the rear. I also ordered some dynabeads. I'm going to give that a try for balancing so i dont have to have the ugly stick on weights.

tonight im going to clean up the fork lowers and give those a coat of black. Im also going to finalize the brake light/plate mount/signals design and order the necessary parts for that.

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
little update. got my LED for the front and rear turn signals in yesterday

4 prewired superflux and two small 6 LED strips all of which are brighter than my last led signals:)

this is running at 12.4V and theyre bright so i imagine theyll be even brighter at 13.8-14.4V

i was hoping to mount a superflux in each clipon then one on each side of the headlight but my bars arent hallow:mad:

also got my new front tire, dynabeads, and other misc tire changing stuff on wed.

my front wheel is finished being straightened and should be shipping out today or yesterday.

I have sat, sun, and most of mon off to work on the bike so hopefully it will be somewhat put back together by the end of monday:party-smiley:

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
started dragging everything out to the shed to put it together. got most of the main parts together.

i still need to:
redo wiring
make a headlight/gauge mount
make a lower mount for the radiator
finish skeletonizing the front sprocket cover and paint it
cut up the aribox
im sure theres other stuff im forgetting

possibly make a new exhaust if i can find a can to fit a 99-02 r6 header. I picked one up for real cheap and plan on spreading it to fit the FZR, but that might not happen till after the buildoff is over... idk.

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, i got her road worthy but still not finished

this was the only way i could mount the front "signals" that i could think of. they are crooked but you dont really notice theyre there so im not too worried about it.

i still need to: mount the acewell and the magnet sensor for it
fit the R6 rear brake resi onto the front cause that gsxr one is HUGE
paint or somehow cover the bottom of the seat so it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb
rework the headlight mount a little, trim it a bit and mold it a little more
install a low fuel LED
new(smaller) fuel pump?
new header/exhaust setup
paint touch ups
tinker with air/fuel(after new exhaust)
cleaning and little finishing touches

anyone have any suggestions for a smaller fuel pump than the stock FZR600 pump?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts