Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my acewell and was going to hook up the magnet that was sent with it. But I'm not sure I can get it to work and might have to find another magnet to use. How did everyone else install it? Pics?

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it work well? Where did you get the magnet? Pics?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I got the magnet from the internets. Do a search for 'rare earth magnets'.

It works better than that stupid bolt they send you. The sensor is just a reed switch so any moderately strong magnet will take care of it. The key is to get the sensor real close to where the magnet passes by, within half an inch.

Pics? Uh. It looks like a blob of grey epoxy on the lip of my rim :D
The sensor is on the inside of the fork, ziptied.

I plan to move it to the rear wheel, with the sensor on the swingarm and the magnet on the rim/sprocket/rotor - to clean up the front and hide the bits.

I made the mistake of putting my sensor on the stationary part of my inverted forks... meaning when the wheel moves up or down, the sensor stops picking up. So my speedometer doesn't work over bumps... or when accelerating or braking...

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Be aware that the wrong magnet can fuck up your speedo. Atleast for mine it did. I ended up resetting it like 3-4 times and then I left the batteries out for a while and it went back to normal.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up cutting the bolt part off of the magnet that came with the acewell. I then apoxied it the rear wheel hub and then epoxied the pick up to the inside of the rear brake caliper hanger. It works perfect. I'll just have to be careful when I take the rear wheel off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts