Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up everyone! name's Jason and i have been lurking on the site for a while. my hopes were to already have purchased a ride so i can start my own fighter build but that hasn't happened yet.

I have 2 newbie questions but let me start by saying that i am a big fella and i like the more upright seating position... not the lay down over the gas tank position.

1) how hard is it to convert the lay down position to a more upright position - can it be done and if so is it worth the trouble.

2) because i am such a newb, i would like my first bike to already be "naked" from the factory. I believe some may call them standard bikes?? is there a list or can someone list some of these bikes for me. I am familiar with triumph street/speed triple and buells but i do not know the models of some of the japanese bikes.

all help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to customfighters Jason! You've come to the right place. :D The guys will be along soon to help you out with some answers. ;)

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,426 Posts
Welcome Jason!

The upright position is easy to achieve and very much worth it.

There are a lot of bikes to choose from that are factory naked. What is the budget?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Welcome to CF.....

For 1k-1.5k your options are kinda limited. You can find a good solid bike that's been laid down lightly and get it for that price. Most of the factory naked bikes are newer and cost a bit more than that. It's easy to put dirt bike bars on a bike to make it more comfortable and you can find a good bike for your price range just keep searching CL in any cities in and around your area.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Just cause you have an OBSESSION with wrecked bikes doesn't mean he should get one...

Well... maybe. $1500... pretty damn low. Wrecked might be the way to go if the engine's good. You could sell off the fairings from a $2,000 bike and use the money for parts, so essentially you're at your $1500 limit.

I wouldn't get too nervous about diving in head first in respect to the fairings. It's just nuts and bolts and a few electrical connections here and there. Here's a little list for ya:

1. Remove fairings, including side panels and headlight fairings (SELL THAT SHIT TO FINANCE THE BUILD)
2. Mount aftermarket headlight and signals and connect to harness.
3. Mount aftermarket (cough, cough, HOMEMADE) coolant overflow tank
4. Mount stock gauges or buy an aftermarket gauge (1/8" aluminum sheet)
5. Drill and tap triple tree for renthals and risers
6. Buy and install longer clutch, choke, and throttle cables if necessary.
7. Hide all your wires.
8. Ride the piss out of it.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Food for thought, if you start with a faired bike, you can offset it's cost/ get some build money by selling the fairings.

·
1,562 Posts
Food for thought, if you start with a faired bike, you can offset it's cost/ get some build money by selling the fairings.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input. I am not so much worried about the fairings I just know that most of the "nakeds" already have a more upright seating position which is a big issue. I have found several Nighthawks in my price range so I may jump on one of those

·
1,562 Posts
Nighthawk is a pretty good bike. Got an 83 650 and it scoots along pretty good

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts