Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soooo..... yeh i decided to DW today since my boss gave me two off in a row due to the possible lay off... MY NOOB QWESTION IS CAN YOU DISABLE TPS ALL TOGETHER?

well i decided that i didnt like how my Bandit1200 was runnin so i pulls off the schnarberators and commence to tearin em apart... that was the easy part actually gettin the biatches out took like 15 mins and then takin the bowls off and drillin out the pilots and pulling the jets and soaking app parts took all of two hours 1,5 of that to soaking....then i drive my ass home in the cage to commence to re assembling johhny 5 and getting a ride in before it got too cold... wellllll i got everthing back together and then i noticed i had knicked the TPS and it broke one of the tabs so it spins around real bad if i loosen the screw...soo i decided not to loosen it and tightened her back up it still moves slightly not too terrible... but by then its to cold to test ride and i gotta adjust the cables anyways due to a sticking throttle.... BUT WHAT MY NOOB QWESTION IS CAN YOU DISABLE TPS ALL TOGETHER?

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
If I understand correctly, this TPS is used to modify the ignition timing based on throttle input. The TPS is a potentiometer (voltage splitter) that is connected to the butterfly valve in the carb, as the carb is opened/closed the resistance of this device changes and modifies the signal to the ignition system. The ignition system interprets this and changes the spark timing. So I don't think your bike would run very well without it. And welcome to the forum.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you wrote all that just to ask if the bike can run without a tps?
yeh why not. i also asked the question first so people could answer that and choose whether or not they wanted to read the rest

i was looking to bypass it or trick it into working so i dont have to replace the damn thing cuz i think its gonna be a costly mistake... sorry for the long write ups ill stick to just asking questions with zero context

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so yeh i buttoned the b12 up and i changed the plugs so it starts right up idles for awhile so i decide to test ride it
i get down the street and the MF shuts down....i roll it down the hill
get it in the drive and the mf is pouring a gas and oil mix all over
but it wasnt coming from the carb drains or the fuel line
it was coming from the air box...the air box was completely full i pull the vent line and its everywhere
so at this point and i am PISSSSSSSEed i dont know what i did wrong i didnt do anything out of the norm
so maybe it was a full crank case that i overlooked that pressurized and filled it up...i dont know at this point
soo ill start fresh and drain the oil and see if it continues to do it
im so pissed i dont want to deal with this i almost want to put the bike on curb alert on CL and say Come and get it... the bike didnt sit that long so i have no idea at this point...ill load it up and head to my old work and see what i can do with a proper lift and a proper set of lights... if theyll let me in with it...any one wanna help me out...i dont have much but a couple of pieces of guitar and bass equipment and a liter of Jager...noooooooooooo clue im an idiot for not checking the crankcase for gas contamination :doh: :doh:

·
Registered Bike Molester
1,039 Posts
check your floats. you may have fucked up the float height, or you may have them stuck somehow so the bowls just fill and fill till they overflow.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i checked em while i was in there they were fine the height was fine...but idk guess im gettn out a hammer and tappin on some bowls with a screwdriver

Reactions: cf88

·
Registered Bike Molester
1,039 Posts
sorry I couldnt be more helpful. stuck floats are usually the culprit for overflowing carbs. are they leaking out of the carb overflow tubes?

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
neh they were dry... no leakage...cept from the airbox vent

·
Registered Bike Molester
1,039 Posts
weird. hopefully one of the more senior members can give ya better advice. sorry to hear your having such a rough time bro.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its one shite storm after another
laid off from my moto industry job
and now my bike is mad at me for not ridin it every day like i did till it snowed

·
Kilted Rider
486 Posts
where are you? I might be able to take a look at it...

Reactions: ROBBO

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im in chester Off of 95 south of richmond behind the YMCA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts