Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
P/T Apartment Mechanic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, first post and everything. But I've been stalking the shit out of most of your builds for about a month straight. I figured I'd try to contribute to the whole "I don't want to put on pods, but I don't want to leave that ugly as shit STOCK box on" debate/dilemma.

I really like the atmosphere and creative engineering at Custom Fighters, so I decided this is the place where I would organize all of my thoughts and get opinions and hopefully more info. I've been researching resonance and the dynamics of air boxes for about 7 hours every night for the past week or so. I'm starting to grab at it. Maybe I should go back to school for engineering. :doh:

After buying a 1980 GS850 with pod setup, I realized this just did not feel right. (Not including the fact that half the cylinders weren't firing because of a fudged coil.)

But what could I do? Buy another 30-year-old piece of technology to strap on there? Buy "real" K&N pods and toss the Chinese ones? I finally decided to build my own, after a couple weeks of deliberation.

So this is going to be my journey of fuck ups and successes. I'm going to try to put up as much pictures as possible. But I can promise this is not going to be a very high budget project. So do not get many hopes up.

I understand that this forum is devoted to fighters but I don't truly have a fighter-bound bike. I love the image of a cafe racer and don't really have many means of machining or welding. So as it stands now, she's gonna stay a racer.

Considering many, many equations, I finally found an ideal size and shape of this air box. Using progeCAD (trial version of AutoCAD is being a dick right now), I designed something that would optimize the space available under my seat. I finally decided on having a box with one pipe coming to the back near where the battery box is and going straight to the side. Using a flat, wide filter.

Of course, I have many more plans for the bike, but I'll withhold from putting them here. I'd prefer not to make a build thread because my resources are limited and I'm working with a hunk here.

I'll try to give out good sources as much as possible and please feel very free to tell me I'm doing something wrong. I am a complete newbie compared to almost all members on here.

How I bought it.

Clubmans.

Space available for box.

Positioning.

I'll take screenshots of the CAD files soon.

:rock:

·
P/T Apartment Mechanic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
P/T Apartment Mechanic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CAD Files

First box design

First box with attachment

Second box design

Second box with attachment

Halfing the plug to make two sides

Definitely decided to go with the second design. Specs on that concept coming up.

·
P/T Apartment Mechanic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because I don't want pods. I want more control on the intake. I can customize it for me. To provide resonance. I want to have something unique. I want to practice design and production. I've seen much more aimless projects with more time spent on them.

If the general census is that this is stupid as shit, I'll delete it and all is done.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
it's alot of work with no significant pay offs

modern bikes

fuel injected

that's all i see in the articles you posted.

i just don't see this making it any easier to control your intake, that's the job of the carbs. If jetting is what you are avoiding. Just give up the ghost. It's simple

·
P/T Apartment Mechanic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, I know, I know. The POS I have isn't worth all of this trouble. I've heard it before.

But I guess this is just more of a personal comfort to build a safety net around the carbs.

When I went to go check it out the first time, it was running okay, no huge issues. Then I moved it to where I live (2,500 above the origin) and add harsh weather, and it barely wants to run. Some days, I know the decision of it starting up or not solely depended on the pod filters.

I would just like to knock them out of the equation. Plus, it's maybe slightly more justifiable because I truly think I won't need to spend more than $150. And I have much more time available to me than I do money.

And yes, I will eventually jet. The carbs are going to need it anyway. I just don't have that kind of money at one time.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
- build it to suit your needs and wants...

That's the general consensus here bud... It would be unique if anything else, and if it sucks ass in the end, you've somewhat mocked up an intak plenum for forced induction... Not a bad safety net to fall back on...

It's different, and you might end up married to it, the costs might surpass the initial intentions of saving, but hey, it's all in the name of customization and trying new things... I'm down to see it happen.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
- build it to suit your needs and wants...

That's the general consensus here bud... It would be unique if anything else, and if it sucks ass in the end, you've somewhat mocked up an intak plenum for forced induction... Not a bad safety net to fall back on...

It's different, and you might end up married to it, the costs might surpass the initial intentions of saving, but hey, it's all in the name of customization and trying new things... I'm down to see it happen.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Poops right: It can't hurt, and having a performance cone filter pointed forward in the wind:

Badass, I think.

Which is why I've bought a few lengths of tubing myself to come up with something.

·
P/T Apartment Mechanic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Poopie!

I was still planning on doing the build but just deleting the thread if it isn't liked.

This will truly be a learning experience for me.

·
P/T Apartment Mechanic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah. I definitely agree.

But I decided to go with the second design. A flat, wide, round filter. Sorry. I should've made it clearer. I just included it to show the evolution.

I just think it'd be less out of the way. I don't really need to think about any ram air. I think that's just not a margin that will be that important. Also, the second design brings the inlet tube to the center of the air box. Whereas, the first one branches off the right side.

·
P/T Apartment Mechanic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Foam Plug

I've made the foam block out of some Michael's flower foam bricks. I have no idea the chemical makeup of this stuff so I'm not sure what can and cannot be applied to it.

Evidently, it's very porous. So I'm probably just going to layer the top of the plug with tape once I'm done shaping it.

Since I've glued the bricks into one roughly-sized block, they're may be some cracks on the outside due to the seams. Oh well. That's what I expected from a spur-of-the-moment buy.

Finished gluing

I made a more stable hotwire table as I just want to take about 5.5 cm off of the block. As it turns out, the cut that makes the two halves is about 5.5 cm also. So this is not just a one fuck pony (expression?).

Hotwire setup

So all I have to do, is slide the block right across and it (should) cut off the exact amount.

Block against wire

Sadly, I don't have a power supply to use it. This low budget sucks. So I'm asking my friends if they have a ~12 volt ~4 amp supply I could dismantle. I'd rather not wait for a part from Hong Kong to arrive.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
I know, I know, I know. The POS I have isn't worth all of this trouble. I've heard it before.

But I guess this is just more of a personal comfort to build a safety net around the carbs.

When I went to go check it out the first time, it was running okay, no huge issues. Then I moved it to where I live (2,500 above the origin) and add harsh weather, and it barely wants to run. Some days, I know the decision of it starting up or not solely depended on the pod filters.

I would just like to knock them out of the equation. Plus, it's maybe slightly more justifiable because I truly think I won't need to spend more than $150. And I have much more time available to me than I do money.

And yes, I will eventually jet. The carbs are going to need it anyway. I just don't have that kind of money at one time.
like poop said. Suit your needs at the moment. Just wanted to know the reasoning behind it. You seem to enjoy a challenge and being told no makes you want to do it more :D

good luck bud

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You carbs will need rejetting for the change in altitude, the air is slightly thinner at the level you are now at, therefore the A/F will be running rich, you will need to get the bike jetted down to suit your enviroment. There's nothing to be gained from making your own airbox, you would be far better off spending your time adjusting the fueling. If you want an airbox, then just buy a stock OEM airbox for your particular model and fit a K&N panel filter in it, if you want better breathing then modify the airbox lid and enlarge the apeture.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts