Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized that I've got at least one spare set of tires for the Seca... was gonna do some burnouts when I finished the build, but figured I might save for ice tires, because, well... Minnesotta.

So, is it possible to turn a conventional road tire into an ice tire? Only seen guides showing it done with drill-in studs on a knobbie, but I'm pretty sure I've seen studded up slicks & road tires, just don't know how its done / what was used.

Be interesting on my bike, probably want to only turn left. The wheel clearance next to that left shock is microscopic already, no room for side studs! To bad ice racing is (afaik) nothing BUT left turns.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
bolt in spikes or cleats with sealant or a tube.

Big ol spikes/cleats too. Sometimes the screw ins can fly out. You will have about 600-900 screws for a good setup per tire.

Tire should have alot of meat to begin with

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean like snow mobile track studs? Seems pretty extreme, but yeah, I guess with a thinner tire you want that plate on each side for support / security.

What I'm really looking for is a stud that will let me do something like this:

Or this:

I guess those are just snowmobile track studs? My expereince with a bicycle leads me to think more and shorter studs is better (probably also more durable) - is that correct?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was figuring some experts would turn up. :)

Or a bunch of 6mm bolts. Drill holes, push 'em thru, washers/nuts and pointy tips ground by yourself.
That had occurred to me, but makes the whole process even more laborious. Also had poor experience with plain screws on bicycle - the metal is soft. I suppose I could throw the bolts in a forge till red hot, then case harden though. Would need to be grade 8 bolts or some such - which looks much like what that first photo might show.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are many different ways of building ice racing tires. Or, for that matter, instead of building you can buy a set of Pro Rally winter tires with studs. To the right is a tire that you can buy online.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The photo looked like bolts to me as well. I remember reading an article in Car Craft once where guys were drag racing autos on frozen lakes. Full sized cars using plain drywall screws. Drywall screws are way more brittle than ant bolts, but they seemed to work for them.

Quick google search. First result: http://bangshift.com/blog/video-the-merrill-wisconsin-ice-drag-races-are-on.html
Race rules often prescribe the type and number of studs used. Could be the rules specify drywall screws to keep the cost / entry barrier down. Which does make that an appealing option for me. Shooting short square drive drywall screws through from the inside seems a cheap, low labor option for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts