Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still working on it but the goal is to make a more "cafe racer" style tank. I had improved the look of the standard tank with my glued on rubber checker plate.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

I wanted to give the tank a longer more old school look while showing the rear cylinder head, have an incorporated air box, hinge up like standard, fit my single throttle plate conversion and custom manifold, and add a fuel sender for the new dash

So I when to the bike wrecker and bought a Honda tank that I cut up to give a starting point
Sports equipment Electric blue Gas Plastic Personal protective equipment
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system Fender

Then I made a hoop of 6mm rod the shape I wanted the bottom of the tank to be.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive design

And did a duct tap mock up
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

More to come stay tuned

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next step, extent the shape to what I need.
Hood Automotive lighting Input device Automotive design Office equipment

Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motorcycle

Forgot to say, I needed to spit the tank at the rear to get the width correct to blend with the seat.
Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Next massage the handle bar and knee dents to rough shape while stile on the bottom 6mm hoop.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Waste container

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next step was put in the dividing wall between the fuel compartment and the forward air box which I hope to make a cold air intake but still not sore how yet.
This is the made with a bent lip around it which serves a purpose.
It provides a way to get a good fit buy bending in and out, and buy doing than gives a better way to weld it (because I am a shitty welder)

Wood Natural material Flooring Gas Metal

Plant Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

The shrinkage from the weld is obvious but it will just have to be filled before paint.

Next step a bottom on the tank section. I had cut the divider panel just enough for trial fitting and cut some of the hoop away to allow me to get the tank body panel in.
Plant Wood Automotive exterior Grass Composite material

Its far from a tank yet but it's 1 step at a time

Plant Shade Tent Grass Automotive exterior

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bottom welded in and cut for temp fit while working out the centre recess. and splash of semi gloss to get an idea how it's looking.
Automotive tire Helmet Automotive lighting Hood Plant

Fuel tank Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

And that where it's up to today.
I did to a cardboard model of the recess shape but I have decided not to use it and just work it out as I go.
Wood Automotive exterior Flooring Scale model Carton

After the underside is done comes the fuel sender, petcock, hinge for tanks mounting rear, strengthening around the front air box part and front mounting plate and nearly forgot to list the fuel cap.
I have the sender to suit the new dash, original petcock, factory tank hinge and a old school gas cap.

Helmet Automotive lighting Headlamp Wood Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still going, ran the welds all the way, some need attention but I will get there.
Made up a hinge bracket for the back of the tank out of 2mm plate strong enough to check it works but thin enough to bend to get it sitting correctly and check the opening.
Now that the tank hinge is holding the tank in the correct place, opens and closes, and gaps to the seat and frame are good, I can go ahead and add bracing to strengthen the hinge.
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I am thinking.
Enclosing the top 2 3/4" of the tank, this will go 1/2 way down the intake flange and seal on a rubber ring.
I can then mount the air filter drawing air from the underside of the tank, most likely I will block hot air with a heat shield and maybe put some holes low down the tank handle bar dents.
There is room to use my current air cleaner or I could use a modern style flat filter of a matching size.
I am not sure which would work better.
This is a rough drawing any thoughts are welcome.
Handwriting Art Rectangle Automotive design Font
Helmet Hood Bumper Fender Gas
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I silver soldered the new filler bung into the tank I am making.
The bung is stainless steel and the tank is mild steel.
I am using 2% silver rod from the plumbing supplies.
I used a propane torch to tin around the tank opening and I planned to sweat the stainless part on after adding flux.
But my propane torch was not heating the stainless quick enough.
So after some experimenting I used the Tig torch set to AC 35amps with flux and gas, and it worked.
Tin Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Household hardware
Hood Motor vehicle Fish Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Hood Automotive lighting Fluid Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,619 Posts
I silver soldered the new filler bung into the tank I am making.
The bung is stainless steel and the tank is mild steel.
I am using 2% silver rod from the plumbing supplies.
I used a propane torch to tin around the tank opening and I planned to sweat the stainless part on after adding flux.
But my propane torch was not heating the stainless quick enough.
So after some experimenting I used the Tig torch set to AC 35amps with flux and gas, and it worked.
View attachment 153838 View attachment 153839 View attachment 153840
Very cool. Never seen it done that way before

·
BLACK BELT
7,382 Posts
I appreciate the work you're putting into the tank.👍

Have to ask, though. I don't know if it makes any difference, but the flip-up/Monza type caps I've seen, flip up the opposite way (hinge on the front).

Just curious why you did it that way. Is it because the tank flips up from the front? If it's just a design choice, I think you should do what you want.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate the work you're putting into the tank.👍

Have to ask, though. I don't know if it makes any difference, but the flip-up/Monza type caps I've seen, flip up the opposite way (hinge on the front).

Just curious why you did it that way. Is it because the tank flips up from the front? If it's just a design choice, I think you should do what you want.
I know Its a less than good picture, but the hinge is toward the front. and nearly spot on 1/2 way down the length of the tank. The obvious dents in the pic are bar dents at the front.
Thanks for the input, I googled pictures of flip up caps just prior to installation, to me it seems to easiest way round for filling.
Raining today so I don't think I will get much done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts