Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Life's Short, Stunt it!
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
umm... how do you tighten it? lol ... and umm, where is it. my old man had it installed on my bike a while ago and i dont know what the damn thing is, and i dont have many tools down here yet so i dont wanna mess anything up... help?

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
what kinda bike? most modern bike's camchain tensioners are on the right side of the motor, on the far end of the cylinder block.

as far as tightening it, just loosen the locknut, start the bike, tighten the adjuster until any cam chain noise goes away (make sure it's cam chain noise though), shut the bike off, back the adjuster out 1/8 turn or so, and lock the locknut down. then start the bike and make sure it's quiet.

MAKE SURE the locknut is tight. if it backs out and the adjuster vibrates out, you can do all sorts of damage when the timing jumps and hard parts start hitting hard parts.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
MAKE SURE the locknut is tight. if it backs out and the adjuster vibrates out, you can do all sorts of damage when the timing jumps and hard parts start hitting hard parts.
LOL OHHHH YEAHHHHH

I had to replace 4 valves, a chain slider, and a tensioner on an '02 R6 cuz it jumped 1 tooth. He got lucky that it didnt blow a hole in each piston, but it was still $1000 to fix it.

Yeah, so be carefull:D

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
yup, i have a rod here with a 45 degree bend in it, and two pistons with half dollar sized holes in them, cracked all the way thru. the only thing holding the pistons together is what's left of the rings. then there's the head... the valves got broken off and shoved sideways back up into the ports. that thurr is what we call an expensive lesson.

good thing it wasn't my bike :D

·
Life's Short, Stunt it!
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i'm pretty sure it is... it starts kinda chattering at higher rpms and when i shift and it revs a little bit.
i'm not for sure but does that sound right? i'm no mech

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
it's definately a possibility. if you tighten it up a bit and the noise doesn't change, you may just be in need of a valva adjustment.

what kind of bike are we talking here?

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
yeah, if you haven't had a valve adjustment, you're pretty past due.

good thing you have that manual tensioner in there, the stock ones suck. same tensioner that's on busa's, sv's, etc. they had a recall on them on the busa's, but not on the rest, never made sense to me.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
It's around that time for valve adjustment. But try the tensioner. BTW, it should be the Blue oval shaped thing with a long bolt sticking out of it.

I prefere to have the motor off and turn the engine manually till cylinder #1 is at TDC. This usually requires pulling engine covers and lining up timing marks, but in a pinch you can do it Skrooz way too.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
It's around that time for valve adjustment. But try the tensioner. BTW, it should be the Blue oval shaped thing with a long bolt sticking out of it.

I prefere to have the motor off and turn the engine manually till cylinder #1 is at TDC. This usually requires pulling engine covers and lining up timing marks, but in a pinch you can do it Skrooz way too.

yes, actually, that is the correct way of doing it. but, if it's just a bit of rattle, i normally do it the quick way. that... and i get paid on a commission basis, so i tend to find faster ways of doing things, as long as the end result is the same, s'all good.

·
Life's Short, Stunt it!
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i know exactly where it is! lol! i was wondering what that pretty new blue piece on my bike was. its about the only piece on my bike that shines haha
as for the valve adjustment, what do i do about that? i.e. how much would it cost at a shop, as i dont really have the tools to do it myself down here? or what would it take for me to do it?

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
yes, actually, that is the correct way of doing it. but, if it's just a bit of rattle, i normally do it the quick way. that... and i get paid on a commission basis, so i tend to find faster ways of doing things, as long as the end result is the same, s'all good.
I'm in the same boat dude. I ain't work'n, I ain't eat'n. I'm just real scetchy about short cutting top end work. Things like to go CLANG, CLANG, CLANG, CRACK, SNAP, BANG when they fuck up, :LolLolLolLol:

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
I'm in the same boat dude. I ain't work'n, I ain't eat'n. I'm just real scetchy about short cutting top end work. Things like to go CLANG, CLANG, CLANG, CRACK, SNAP, BANG when they fuck up, :LolLolLolLol:
lol, i know what you mean mang. i was just taught a loooong time ago to do it that way, and i've just kinda done it ever since. as long as it's just a SLIGHT rattle to begin with, it's fine. if it was a major noise, trust me, i'd be pulling covers and doing it the other way. it's just one of those things you have to get a feel for i guess. too loose and it's noisy (at best), too tight and it'll stretch the cam chain, break it, and/or wear out the chain guides real fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.