Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, instead of a long winded first post I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

I have a nearly daily ridden 2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000, my more comfortable "old fart" bike to commute since my accident. Bike has been a blast! Decent power, pretty decent handling, ok-ish brakes. Put 8k on it this year since buying it in April, mostly commuting but a few in-state trips 2up with my fiancee.

A few weeks ago I went to the junkyard and found a recently brought in wrecked 2001 ZRX1200. All decent mechanically but fubar cosmetically. I know the junkyard owner so he threw me a killer price and it was SOLD! All mine. Initial plans were to part it out and make crazy profit from it but instead I came across some info about swapping the 1200 engine into my shaft drive concours. Not going to say bolt in, but will be a very easy fitment and the shaft drive parts from the 1000 fit right onto the 1200! Not to mention that the front end off the zrx fits right into the zg1000 so I can finally be rid of the 18/16 wheel combo!

SO its going to happen! 2000/2001 Kawasaki ZGRX1200. 1200cc, shaft drive, 6 speed and 17/17 wheels. A full fairing muscle bike hearted sleeper with better brakes, better wheels/tires, and better suspension while still being capable of cross country travel.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a more in depth inspection of the ZRX today and it is getting test fired and parted out tomorrow. I also had a second ZG1000 that I parted out a couple weeks ago. So I'll be using the parted out concours and zrx bits to mock up the engine swap parts and have a ready to go unit. IN THEORY, once the unit is ready, I can go from stock bike to engine swapped bike in a weekend.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Limited garage space ruins my chance of working today... as it doesn't fit into the garage...

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was messing with it for a while today and I could not get the wiring situated on the ZRX. It has no spark and will not fire. I was also jumping the solenoid since the button wouldn't make it turn over. Guess I have a LOT more wiring to trace, bypass the kickstand switch, etc.

I just need it to run otherwise its getting parted out and thrown on ebay. The whole project is determined on if the zrx engine is good or not.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 blown fuses, messed up wiring, and a busted kickstand switch.

Runs SOLID! I had a gravity bottle on it but I took it off to let it run dry. I'll be tearing it apart tomorrow and moving on to the next stages!

Here is the video! My buddy was at the controls, he likes to rev it a bit it seems but it was warm with no airbox and still sounded pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4I7WVrC5I

Reactions: F'dup

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally made some progress! Also got a guy lined up to start machining the front motor mounts.

Going to be a slow progress winter build, also probably going to cost a lot more than planned. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
probably going to cost a lot more than planned.
This seems to happen to me all the time :p

One piece at a time and it'll get done. Keep plugging away.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a ton of junk to sell and in theory, if it all sells, the parts should pay for the whole build. I am looking into a wall/ceiling mount heater for my garage so I might be able to finish this without freezing my nuts off.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Just get a little kerosene heater and take it to whatever part of the shop you need to work in. If it's not a tiny shop and you aren't planning to be in it for hours and hours on end, burn offroad diesil rather than kero. Costs about half as much ( no highway tax). It will be a lil fumey, but it'll clear out overnight. It won't heat the entire area, but you'll be able to heat what you need for a few dollars a day. Probably spend more on sodas. :D

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
I agree with shiny cost of a radiant or unit heater ng or lp doesn't add up if you only visit the garage so often. Natural gas is probably the cheapest heat right now per btu (if we are talking gas) but cost of the heater, running gas line, bvent and roof jack adds up quick

My old salamander runs on #1 fuel oil and with a clean burn additive it had my uninsulated shop up to 69*f in subzero temps. The 5 gallon fuel oil cost like $45 ish and heats 4/5 visits to the garage at 1-3 hour periods

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may even have a better place now to wrench this winter, my buddy rents a shop that he runs his home improvement business out of. We were just talking today about me renting a corner of the shop to house my small engine repair business. I'm getting so busy that my garage is packed and just about all my free time is chewed up. His shop is kept around 55 degrees in winter so it sounds like a score to me! This week alone I have an ATV, 9 snowblowers and 2 chainsaws to fix. Guess what I'll be doing all weekend...

BUT at least I took the concours on what MAY be its last stock ride today. Only about 50 miles but got to enjoy one more slow ride on it.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been a bit busy with small engine repair and tractor work the last few weeks. The start of winter is always my busiest time but at least it helps pay bills and buy bike parts. Then house work as well, new front and back door, 2 new windows, trim work, furnace died, water heater replacement. Busy busy busy...

I did at least get something after 10+ years of working in a cold garage...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts