Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a master cylinder that can replace the stock one on the F2? I'm wanting one that used an external reservoir.

·
Here to F stuff up
144 Posts
99 - 02 r6 master works pretty good on my bike. Just need to make a bracket for the reservoir.

Ninja edit - that master is on a bunch of other bikes, I just can't remember which other ones right now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
99 - 02 r6 master works pretty good on my bike. Just need to make a bracket for the reservoir.

Ninja edit - that master is on a bunch of other bikes, I just can't remember which other ones right now.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I actually have a buddy selling a 01 R6 for parts so maybe I can steal that from him for cheap lol

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Try picking up a radial master cylinder. I believe the one you want that's common is the 17mm Nisson(that's not right, what the fuck is he name?) Radical from tons of newer bikes. Gsxr, etc. There was a recall on a bunch of the gsxr ones but I have two and both are great, no problems. They can be had for much cheaper now because of the recall scare. They're from the mid 2000s models. They have the external reservoir. That along with braided lines are a huge upgrade. Much much more positive feel.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
The f3 wants a 1/2" front master cylinder. If you get an R6 master cylinder it is 14mm and your brakes will feel "wooden".

The only 1/2" remote reservoir master cylinder I can think of is on a CBR400, which you won't likely find in the USA.

There is a 13mm brembo master cylinder with remote reservoir used on a Aprilia RS125, maybe that will work? I used one once with Honda switchgear though and had to "massage" the switchgear to work with the master cylinder or the lever hit it. You'd find the same on any 90's bike with a single goldline caliper.

I would say leave well enough alone, integrated reservoirs look nicer IMHO anyway.

Have you considered changing the whole front end for something with better brakes and/orUSD forks? Or just making up some brackets for more modern 4 pot calipers?

If you want to splash out on a radial master cylinder, you need one intended for a single disc system.

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
The f3 wants a 1/2" front master cylinder. If you get an R6 master cylinder it is 14mm and your brakes will feel "wooden".

The only 1/2" remote reservoir master cylinder I can think of is on a CBR400, which you won't likely find in the USA.

There is a 13mm brembo master cylinder with remote reservoir used on a Aprilia RS125, maybe that will work? I used one once with Honda switchgear though and had to "massage" the switchgear to work with the master cylinder or the lever hit it. You'd find the same on any 90's bike with a single goldline caliper.

I would say leave well enough alone, integrated reservoirs look nicer IMHO anyway.

Have you considered changing the whole front end for something with better brakes and/orUSD forks? Or just making up some brackets for more modern 4 pot calipers?

If you want to splash out on a radial master cylinder, you need one intended for a single disc system.
It's not just the piston size that counts, but also the leverage ratio.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
QFT. Also, 14mm vs half inch only requires 15% more lever force to produce same brake force. That might even feel good, as improved modulation, and as noted could be offset by gaining 15% mechanical advantage on the lever.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
It's not just the piston size that counts, but also the leverage ratio.
That's true. 1/2" is correct with nissin traditional master cylinders. It won't be far off with tokico or others.

QFT. Also, 14mm vs half inch only requires 15% more lever force to produce same brake force. That might even feel good, as improved modulation, and as noted could be offset by gaining 15% mechanical advantage on the lever.
How'd you get 15%?
surface area of a 14mm piston: 153mm^2
surface area of a .5inch piston: 127mm^2

The percentage difference is 18.5%, it's nearly a fifth more fluid for the same lever travel, for those who like fractions. Or I guess a fifth more effort at the lever. That can be a lot!

If the OP finds the brakes spongy now, then yes it could be felt as an improvement. I don't ever remember f2 brakes being referred to as poor though.

To me the best way to figure it out is look at the two bikes: does the bike you want to take the master cylinder from have similar calipers to the bike it's going on? The R6 has 27/30mm piston pairs, while the f2 has 25.5/25.5 so it's fairly clear that the R6 master cylinder is too big to work well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts