Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built this table a couple of months ago because I knew I would be working on a new project. I wanted to have the bike at a nice working height, while able to still roll it around the shop and out of the way when I wasn't working on it.

It is mainly built out of 2x2, 3/16" wall square tubing. It is one stout mother.

Here's what I started with:

Here are a couple shots of the lift arms. They are sleeved for the 5/8" grade 8 hardware that was used to bolt them to the platform and lift table.

Couple of shots of the initial mock up:

The Torin Air Over Hydraulic 8 Ton Ram. This is what gets the bike from the ground to the working height in 10-15 secongs:

This is the lockout mechanism that holds the lift up at 2.5' & 3.0'. It works really well too. No danger of this thing coming down and someone losing a limb. The beauty of it is that it collapses out of the way when the lift is at rest height:

Air Release Handle:

Rolling Framework. Front tie down hooks added:

3/16" Plate steel top welded in place:

Painted Up and Ready for Work:

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Man I wish I knew how to weld...very well done!!!

·
114 Posts
That is a very cool set up.
I've been playing with the idea of a similar set up in my head for a while now.

I would be interested in how your pivot points hold up and it there will be any issues with bolt holes going oval.

What lifting capacity does that ram have?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a very cool set up.
I've been playing with the idea of a similar set up in my head for a while now.

I would be interested in how your pivot points hold up and it there will be any issues with bolt holes going oval.

What lifting capacity does that ram have?
I doubt there will be any oval hole issues. I sleeved all 16 of the pivot points with 1" schedule 80 pipe (5/8 I.D. to match the bolt size) to help disperse the weight load.

The ram has an 8 ton lifting capacity. I don't really need that much (obviously), but it was the most cost effective ram that was air over hydraulic. I think it was around $100.

I looked all over the internet for home built lift ideas, and found a bunch of junk that I wouldn't put a clapped out 10-speed on.

·
114 Posts
I think that I didnt see all the pics the first time I looked at it sorry.

I didn't see that you sleeved the main frame too, thought it was only your lift arms.

How big is the main platform? How do you find the 3' working height?

You're right about the lack of decent builds on the net. They are normally those wooden fixed ones aren't they.
I originally planned to make a scissor like layout but there will be a lot of extra work with that I think. This looks much simpler and effective.

Have you considered adding a ramp or triangle on the safety stops? so that when you raise the lift the safety arm just slides on over?

So like a triangle to the right side of the stops in this pic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that I didnt see all the pics the first time I looked at it sorry.

I didn't see that you sleeved the main frame too, thought it was only your lift arms.

How big is the main platform? How do you find the 3' working height?

You're right about the lack of decent builds on the net. They are normally those wooden fixed ones aren't they.
I originally planned to make a scissor like layout but there will be a lot of extra work with that I think. This looks much simpler and effective.

Have you considered adding a ramp or triangle on the safety stops? so that when you raise the lift the safety arm just slides on over?

So like a triangle to the right side of the stops in this pic.
The main platform is 2'x8'. The two safety stops are set at 2.5' & 3.0'. I actually had to do a little geometery to figure out the length of the lift arms, stop positions and safety catch length. Not to mention that you have to factor in the height of the lift off the ground in the calcs to get the overall height. I really probably over analyzed it - but I am pretty anal that way. Let's just say I measured 40 times and cut once.

I thought about doing a scissor lift as well, but decided there were too many moving parts.

No need for a ramp on the safety stops. The saftey bar glides right over them during lift. There is only resistance and the safety bar when it is under load. To lower the lift, I simply raise it up, lift the safety bar up to clear the safety stops, then release the air pressure and down she goes.

I have considered adding an attached loading ramp for the bikes. Right now I just use the same one I do when loading them into my truck. It works ok.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Cool man!

I thought about building one, but I guess I don't like having the bike up that high - I mean I never have so I guess I don't really know if I would like working on it at chest/waist level. I've always used axle/swinger lifts for as high as I needed. Very nice work though man!

Nate

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool man!

I thought about building one, but I guess I don't like having the bike up that high - I mean I never have so I guess I don't really know if I would like working on it at chest/waist level. I've always used axle/swinger lifts for as high as I needed. Very nice work though man!

Nate
Thanks man. Working on a bike, without having to bend over or get on your knees is the only way to go. Bending over, and getting on your knees is women's work!

·
2bonnes
39 Posts
Would you by any chance share your plans? Looks like you already did the brain work very well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This looks eerily familiar. :rolleyes:
I saw a version of that one online when I was building mine. I didn't like the angle iron construction, safety mechanism, or use of an automobile floor jack of the one I saw. I also saw a video of it in action and you could see the angle iron flexing under load. Not for me. I wanted one that was stout, and I could roll around the shop.

It's not like anyone is really going to reinvent the wheel here. There are only so many ways to build a motorcycle lift. More than likely you're going to build this style or the scissor lift style. In my opinion, this design is easier to build, and is very functional. Of course, my opinion is biased :D

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
I totally understand. I just found it funny that it was a couple weeks after I started the thread I linked to that you posted this. The steel I used in my testing wasn't as thick as what you've used but it's still good to see my setup isn't a total failure. :D

Any idea how much yours weighs? I used angle in my setup to try and save weight. I think I mentioned somewhere in the other thread that what I did will only weigh ~150# max when it's all done. One thing I would look into is a way to keep the lift from rolling. Maybe make some feet that lower to get it off the wheels once it's positioned? I planned on using a large bolt in each corner with a rubber/plastic pad on the end. The large bolt would also allow you to level the surface if you wanted to put something like a frame jig on it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts