Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who haven't seen the build thread in the regular forum, here's what we've got so far...

I ride with a pretty regular group and a few of them have Busa's. They've been giving me shit about my "small" bike (FZ-1), and I shove it in their face by keeping up with them on the road. I think they're the ugliest fuckin bikes to ever shit out of someone's head, and had mentioned that I would never get one of those gaudy, heavy, stupid things... but if I did I'd strip it down and show them what a real bike is.
Not long ago we were riding and one of them high-sided at low speed, damaging most of the plastics and not really anything else, and then instead of fixing it bought another one of the same year and color.

SOOOO.... fuck me, time to follow through on my shit talking. Gonna lose some serious weight and get some Hollywood-level plastic surgery. It would have cost me a few hundred to just fix what was broke, but where's the fun in that?

Plans/ideas, subject to change at any moment without any forethought...
- Remove fairings and do associated bullshit (i.e. clean up wiring and coolant overflow).
- Build subframe for tail.
- Find or make a tail. Going for the RC8 look there.
- Make a CF+Kevlar tank, cause this one's dented and I'm too cheap and don't care about it enough to buy a new one.
- Do something about a headlight... either modify the factory stuff or build my own from scratch with Fglass/CF. Had an interesting thought on this involving the stupid rear hump cowl thing.
- CF windscreen as I ride a lot, everywhere, all year and want a little wind/fly protection.
- Maybe a SSSA. Maybe, probably not.
- Straighter bars. Superbike type maybe?
- Mirrors...
- Set the suspension properly.
- Dash/gauges, depending on how the factory unit flows with whatever I come up with for the front end.
- UV Underglow. Yeah I know what you think and you can fuck right off. I need to find UV LED strips, so if anybody knows of any please let me know. Has to be UV... everything else is flashy and dumb. And it has to be actual UV light, preferably around 395nm or lower (none of that white-light-through-a-coating bullshit).
- Header wrap maybe, if I don't turbo.
- Turbo... maybe...
- James Bond license plate mount.

The breakdown:
- 2008 Suzuki GSXR-1300 Hayabusa with 11,500 miles, new tires, new brakes, and fresh oil - from friend: $5000
- MotoGP style machined aluminum pegs (left side broke off in crash) - Performance Cycle: $34
- Klean Kanteen bottle for coolant overflow (including paint) - from my kitchen cabinet: FREE
- Clear hose for coolant overflow line - from Barley Haven Homebrew Supply: $4
- Brass fittings and hose clamps for coolant bottle - Lowe's: $15
- Fancy clamps for coolant bottle - O'Reilly Auto Parts: $7
- Windscreen - sold: -$30
- Right side fairing - sold: -$150
- TurboXs blowoff valve - coworker - Traded for e-cigarette
- Forge manual boost controller - coworker - Traded for e-cigarette
- B-King triple clamps - eBay: $400
- Freshly rebuilt T3/T4 turbo with ceramic bearings, Garrett exhaust housing, ITS compressor housing, Turbonetics center section, partially completed header, partially completed plenum, and TiAL F46 wastegate with rebuild kit - internet forum: $750
- Hoses/lines/fittings/couplers for oil, fuel, boost, vacuum: - On Track Performance: $600
- High-flow oil pump gear, manual cam chain tensioner, Aeromotive 1:1 fuel regulator, 3BAR MAP sensor so tuner can use ECU as a standalone unit - QuickCycles: $200
- APE 60lb clutch springs - CF member mvrk10256: $20
- 2015 Nissan Murano headlights (LED projectors and drivers) - The Retrofit Source: $130
- Billet fuel rail - eBay: $120
- Koso RX-1N - eBay: $200
BUILD COST: $2280
TOTAL COST: $7280
For perspective...
KBB value of stock Busa in my area: $8250
RCC Stage 1 Turbo Kit: $4450
:fu:

I had to drive today to bring a trailer back to my shop, but I'll take a proof of life photo as soon as I get home.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what I'm starting with. I couldn't find a newspaper or anything else, so I printed off a Google search page which has today's date in the search content and a date stamp from the printer at the top... hope that's good enough.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My coolant bottle-to-be. Klean Kanteen painted with semi-gloss black engine enamel, and a small hole at the bottom of the bottle. It just so happens that these bottles are threaded with standard pipe thread pitch and have a 3/4" opening, so off to the hardware store after work for some plumbing.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a little done after work. Stripped the fairings and did some tail section stuff.

Took some rough measurements.

Drew up some general shapes and cut them out. I'm a very hands on, visual person, and it'll be much easier for me to create this tail this way. I'll remove the subframe and attach these strips at the mounting points, then tack them together. Once that's on there, I can bend/cut/add/whatever and once I've got the overall shape down, I'll fabricate the actual subframe and wrap it with CF.

As it sits when I left it today. I would still be working on it, but I had to catch a ride home since I rode the bike to my shop. Tomorrow I'll make some real progress.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled some more stuff off and discovered a slight seeping leak from the little oil window at the bottom of the engine. That'll have to be addressed at some point.
Then I tried to mock up the tail skeleton pieces. My eyeball measurements were off a hair, and the holes were about 5 thou too small for the bolts. I also didn't realize how much of a rise there is between the rear seat mount and the upper subframe mount, so things were a little skewed. So I reattached the subframe and stared at it for a good while running through different options and getting sketched out at all the noises my shop makes when nobody else is here.
Took a little break to get some food in me, after which I think I'm just gonna put my gloves on and fuck around with the factory subframe until I like what I see.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a very rough mock up of the tail down (minus all of the structural parts of it... just the general shape really... of just the top...). I'm happy enough with that for tonight.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to make two seats/tails/subframes for it. I really like how it looks without anything back there, but but I still like the RC8 tail profile as well. SO I'm gonna do both... hell, it's only 4 bolts to swap them out.

Little subframe work today, repurposing material from the factory subframe...

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last night I welded up the subframe pieces pictured above, got the coolant bottle ready to mount but haven't decided how yet, and I think I figured out the headlight and gauges. Can't upload pics right now but I'll work on it more later today and get some pics posted tonight.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well CF I've failed you today. I was gonna put a solid day of work in today and then a buddy called wanting to ride... not a whole lot of good riding weather left out here, so we put a couple hundred miles in. A bit chilly and there was a little snow in the canyons, but overall a great ride.
Tomorrow gents... tomorrow...

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics from friday...
Welding shit, my ridiculous stack of brass fittings, the bands I'll use to hold the bottle.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here's how I want to mount the bottle, either on the side of the radiator tank or on the forward slope of the triangular extrusion on the frame. I'd prefer the frame. I think I have a way to do it cleanly, but let's hear some ideas.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Calling it a night here, mostly tail section work today. I have a tendency to bounce around on things like this, but I'm trying to focus on one area at a time. It's not gonna work, but I'm trying.
I think I can make the OEM headlight work, and the bracket that held up the gauges and front fairing will work really well with a little modification. But to do that I have to know exactly how much clearance I'll have, which means I'll need to do the bar conversion first. So, that'll be my next major item (have to mill out some mounts that will use the holes for the upper plate thing that holds the factory bars).
As for the tail section, I still need to add some subframe pieces in, which I can do now that I have the top skin on (not permanent, just some .024" sheet till I get around to the CF work). and have an idea where things will sit. Then I need to add in the bottom skin and figure out a tail light. I trimmed up the factory undertail which holds the battery and ECU, and it'll work out nicely and be lighter than the other options I could go with, but mocking everything up has shown that I need to raise the t-shape skin brace I made about 1/4" to clear the ECU. I'll probably just cut another one, burn it on, then cut out the original.

Pics...

The t-shape skin bracing (.134" plate)...

Skinned the front of the tail, the brace in the last pic is behind the skin between the two vertical pieces of subframe.

Then I cut some bracing (.134") that will extend out from the vertical subframe pieces to hold up the tail...

Then I cut out the top skin for the tail (.024")...

But it was too short! I measured the width between the subframe points on the outside, and didn't account for the width of the box tube when I drew it up.

So I made another one with an extra inch at the wide end...

Beautiful!

But the bracing I made was just a little too steep of an angle and would have kicked the tail up too far for my taste. So I made other ones. The point of the short arm is .4687" closer along the long axis to the point of the long arm than the original ones.

And here's where the tail is at now...

Wife stopped by to bring me dinner, so to thank her I put her ass to work. Here's what I'm thinking with the headlight...

Trimmed up the subframe, mounted it all up with the harness and all. It all fits! Well, except for the ECU, but just barely.

And here's where I'm leaving off tonight...

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the coolant bottle on. Messy fuckin process. Not sure if I like it or not...

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't had much time this week to work on it, which has left me a lot of time to think things through and plan stuff.
I think, after all the hacking I did for the mockup tail that's pictured, that I have a better way to do the tail. That's ok, this is how I learn. Thinking about going a different direction with the headlight too, which eliminates some problems that I would have had to work through but also creates others.
My dad called today. He was at the junkyard looking for something for one of his projects and found a freshly rebuilt turbo off a SAAB that he thinks would work well. He didn't have enough cash on him to get it, so he took it and hid it in an obscure place for me. Now I get to go on a treasure hunt and hope I can find it off his directions.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been at a bit of a stopping point this last little bit. I'm at a point where I need things to do things. Can't do more on the tail or tank until I get the composite stuff. Can't do much with the headlight/front end until I do the bars, which I can't do until I decide if I want to mill out some risers or go ahead and do the entire triple and incorporate risers into it. Then there's the whole turbo thing, which I had just about decided wasn't worth it, and then...

One just kinda fell into my lap!

Oh, and a buddy gave me some Pitbull stands (along with some other parts I may or may not use).

So I suppose my next logical step would be to start fabricating the headers, piping, plenum, and all that crap...

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just ordered a Turbonetics Evolution off fleabay for $100 shipped. That means I'm no longer negative on my build cost... eh, that was cool while it lasted. I took a screenshot to prove it happened though! (also because I have no other pics for this update)

Now the listing didn't say what spring it has in it, but the lowest available from Turbonetics is 5lbs. In my research I've discovered that if I want to keep the stock internals I can't go over 4lbs of boost (which will still put me around a perfectly acceptable 220-230hp).
So I'll have to figure something out... maybe I can shim the spring with a washer to preload it? Or maybe I'm thinking about that wrong and that will increase the pressure needed to open it. I could shave it down a little, but in my experience springs really don't like to be cut down and it could turn out badly. We'll see.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Traded an old e-cigarette for this blowoff valve and manual boost controller...

And a guy on another forum was kind enough to send me a DXF of the header flange so I don't have to measure it all out.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually did things today!

Now I'm gonna go do more things.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did more things! Drained the coolant and pulled off the radiator, and the tip of my left index finger, so I could get to the header bolts and pull the exhaust. Mocked up the flange, fits beautifully (the white-marked holes are the ones I need to clean up a bit... plasma arcs cut a taper, and sometimes that means you need to do a little finish work).

But I'm not sure if I'm gonna use it on the bike. I'll either weld it to a heavy chunk and basically use it as a jig to keep everything squared up, bolting the OEM flanges to it and building off it that way and using the OEM flanges to bolt the new header to the engine... or I'll pass the tubes through the holes and do it that way.
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about with the first idea:

I've decided not to buy stainless OR titanium. Actually, I'm not buying anything. It occurred to me that the bike came with stainless exhaust tubing, and I doubt anybody wants my factory exhaust so no need to leave it intact.
I decided against titanium because I would have had to outsource the flange fabrication. I can weld it, but to cut it on my machines I'd need to buy a tank of Nitrogen and a different set of consumables for my plasma. Not worth it for the two or three pieces I'd be cutting. Sorry Mikey.

As it sits tonight...

My shop lighting makes for really horrible pictures.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got on a roll last night and was in the shop till 11:45pm or so, when I remembered I had a 30 min drive home and had to be back at 6am. I was really intent on getting the header fitted up and ready to weld... didn't turn out as I'd hoped, which is generally what happens when I try to push a specific goal instead of just letting things take their natural course of progression.

Held up the turbo to get some measurements and an idea of where it'll sit. I like how compact it is as this will keep the air filter from sticking out too far and becoming an obstacle in the twisties. Bear in mind I haven't clocked it yet.

Then I got to work on chopping up the OEM pipes...

Did lots of trial and error shit, grinding a little more of an angle here and taking a hair off the length there and whatnot. What a fuckin pain.

I tacked it all together once I was happy with it and then realized... fuckin hell, I can't get to the lower bolt holes to get a bolt in there. SO.... I said fuck it and welded it all together. Didn't take pics of it, because it looks like ass and I'm going to melt it down to destroy the evidence of anything this ugly ever coming off my workbench. BUT I did learn a good bit from the experience, as far as where things need to be positioned and what angles need to be cut and such. I'll go pick up some tubing after work and cut another flange, and do it right.

On another note, things are gonna get a little weird. I'll be taking a trip down to AZ in a few weeks for a potential job... and I plan on riding down. That means I have about 2 weeks to get the turbo on and the bike just together enough to be road-worthy, because I'll need to take it to my buddy's bike shop for dyno/tuning before I can ride it. When I get back I'll do the rest of it, all the carbon fiber and such.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts