Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Curious as to what the weight comparison is to the old 400 motor to the new gsxr mill.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Can't you just have two "top hat" spacers for the swingarm pivot instead of one really long spacer? If you make them a bit longer than the bearings, they'll enter the inner crush tube a bit and keep it from flopping around a little.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two tophat spacers could replace the originals.

What I'm wondering I guess is how important is that spacer/sleeve inside the swingarm between the bearings?

3mm of play could be a lot of it takes stress is what I'm worried about.

And Jed how much would ya want for that rotor?

·
10,743 Posts
is the spacer tube inside the swingarm not a crush tube, the same as in a wheel, if you have the new top hats have the same outer dimensions as the originals, just with a smaller bore it should be spot on , no?

i take it the 7mm is being removed from the frame?

·
10,743 Posts
seems easy enough, narrow the arm, press the bearings further in and make two top hat spacers, i'd make the spacers from a decent quality steel, the outside dia to suit the bearings, the inside reamed for the spindle and stepped at the end to locate in the crush tube. it'd be best to have it all done at once, have the modified arm sitting as the new top hats are made, that way it can be assembled and checked that the space between the top hats is enough to stop the arm itself being nipped up and stopping it rotating around the spindle

does that make sense ?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YES! good to hear crystal now theres what? 5 of us? lol

And Yan I think il be sticking to your plan and just getting having the crush washer sit over the tophats just a little bit

Thanks guys! final measurements need to be done
unfortunately couldnt buy the socket i needed these past two days. damn holidays

·
10,743 Posts
nice seat unit man , you could pop the cover off the R6 seat and plastic weld pieces of another seat base to fill the gap. Radiobloke had to do a fair bit of that on his big bird build , he might have an old build thread on here

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do quite like the r6 seat on there, but the more I look at it I feel like this is gonna have to be a full on custom job (im thinking steel rod base with mesh and fiberglass reinforcement), using the r6 seat I know I cant fill that hole (lol) perfectly...plus I do like the r6 seat shape. if it went with the seat contour slightly more id be golden though

This build is already consisting of all my FAVORITE components from different bikes... started as a what-parts-I-have-on-hand kinda build but the goodies list on this build is quickly becoming alll the components ive dreamed of having....I dont think im going to settle on any part of this bike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts