Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So not sure what section to put this into really...this seemed most appropriate. im looking for a welder that can do thin sheet metal tank work on my bandit tank and fitting part of the ninja 650 tank bottom onto my tank

Im located in westland mi

let me know if anyone round here knows anyone local that can help

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm tempted to try and tackle it but I don't have the confidence in my patience to do it slowly lol

I suppose I could tack it in place and lay spots of weld on top of each other in little bursts with cooling time between sections

My biggest fear is my inexperience with sheet metal work and sheet metal welding

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
il see how my welder does on low low voltages, I almost want to cut and weld the whole bottom from the ninja tank so there is airbox clearance as well, still need to strip it down to see how it fits.

My last option is weldfree.. TRX fuel pump, built in swirl pot, filter, and 50psi regulator but then id need to create a new plate with a fuel inlet and outlet

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Do you have the option to backup your weld with a copper paddle? Virtually eliminates burn-through problems.

I bump weld thin sheet metal like this on the same heat setting I weld 1/8''-3/16'' plate with. You don't need low heat, just low heat exposure. Gotta be hot enough to melt good, just move around enough to prevent warping/burn-through.

Got any scrap to play with? I'm positive you can do this. FWIW, I have a tig and a mig. I always use my mig for this. So much faster and easier.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After tearing down the ninja some and checking out the tank in person, If i want to to run the bandit tank i will lose fuel capacity and need to cut out a LARGE section as opposed to just the section i want a fuel pump in

so I think im gonna run an external pump for this, however i will take your advice and play with the ninja tanks sheetmetal after im done!

the reason being is that the bandit tank is just too different. I would have to replace the whole bottom skin of the tank

and shiny, never heard of one of those, but definitely interesting, im sure a lot of it could be used with the copper paddle then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts