Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a welder so I can start the heavy mods on my bike. "I have some welding experience in the past and understand the basics and will be practicing a bunch before I turn myself loose on my bike." Anyways, I went to the local welding shop and asked about welding aluminum with a "Mig" and he said it would cost as much as a "Tig" welder by time I bought a spool gun and accessoires ect. Yet at Home Depot they have Lincoln "Mig" welders for around $300.00 that say you can weld aluminum with the stuff in the box plus a bottle of argon.. Can you guys shed some light on the subject for me. I don't have $2000.00 for a "Tig" welder. I just want to make my own exhaust and redo the sub frame, things like that. I'm not going to weld together a frame or something like that with my skills.
Thanks in advance
Killer Tiller

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
MIG is fine as long as you don't want really pretty welds, or unless you plan on welding frames or something stupid like that.

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
First you cant weld mig with a 300 home depot welder, Sorry, a spool gun isnt really acurate or small enough to weld aluminium, Aluminum pipe yeah, but nice small tite welds will look like ass,
Buy a tig welder, it takes some practice but you will pleased with the end result.
Something Like the Miller Maxter 140 and up its has the ability to 110 and 230volts, and is a real tool. small and it allso does stick.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Britjoe said:
First you cant weld mig with a 300 home depot welder, Sorry, a spool gun isnt really acurate or small enough to weld aluminium, Aluminum pipe yeah, but nice small tite welds will look like ass,
Buy a tig welder, it takes some practice but you will pleased with the end result.
Something Like the Miller Maxter 140 and up its has the ability to 110 and 230volts, and is a real tool. small and it allso does stick.

+1 Make sure and check Ebay. I have been looking for a Tig myself and I have seen some new go for around $600

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
The Harbor Freight in Florida had so much shit. I went in there for some obscure shit and they had 3 or 4 sitting around.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Yes, I used one for about 8 months and never had problems, except it kept blowing fuses where other welders wouldn't. The guy I sold it to said he got it fixed under warranty and it doesn't anymore.

·
TLS Fight Time
730 Posts
i have a 400 dollar mig from home depot and when set up for aluminum(pure argon and aluminum wire)it looked like i was throwing the wire at the weld from across the room, not good at all. No matter what i tried it worked for shit, welds steel all day long but aluminum i would go with a tig!!!

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Yeah, stick to a real TIG welder for doing what you want. Spool guns blow. They aren't even a real tool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure the guy at the welding shop was on the up and up with me. This place rocks!!!
Killer Tiller

1 - 15 of 15 Posts