Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
581 - 600 of 640 Posts

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
4,013 Posts
I dunno about the sanding thing. Not only would you have to be super careful not to dig too far and hit carbon, but if you sand into the peel ply at all rather than just taking the top layer of resin off, I'd imagine it'd make it even more difficult to remove as it'd tear wherever you've hit the ply itself when you pull.
Now hold on though... why does it have to come out in the first place? Are you planning on coating the inside of the tank with anything? Cause if so (I absolutely would... and will when I do mine), then couldn't you just leave the peel ply and cover it with whatever coating you use and be fine?

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
The peel ply has to at least come off where I intend to bond the pieces together. I suppose you could leave it in the other area, but then why vacuum bag in the first place if max weight savings isn't a big deal? The resin rich green flow media holds a lot of weight.

·
4,013 Posts
Yeah fair point. This doesn't help you now, but what if you coated the peel ply in mold release before you lay it up? Might that help the removal process?

·
30,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #585 ·
This doesn't help you now, but what if you coated the peel ply in mold release before you lay it up? Might that help the removal process?
I've thought about that, but I'm afraid it would dissolve into the resin and screw with the final part.

·
4,013 Posts
Hmm... maybe some other kind of wax? Snowboard wax? Something like that?

·
30,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #587 ·
Trimmed the edges flush to the mold.

Used 2 layers of carbon seam fabric and one layer general carbon.

It needs a bit of finish work, but nothing major

1 lb 12 oz so far

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Oosom work! rep denied, will get back to it later.

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
Registered
956 Posts
the most built iv seen the ducati so far...that carbon bodywork on theat bike totally make it worth all that effort making it all man!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
How much did the original tank weigh comparatively?

·
30,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 ·

·
30,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #595 ·
Well, you've nailed the tail and the tank now. What's next on the menu for carbon fiber? Are you still gonna do the fork thingys?
I'm going to put the messed up tank pieces together and finish that tank first. At this point I just want the bike together so I can ride it. I'll work on the tank in the above post later. Carbon fork shrouds are still on the agenda and now Sarge has me thinking about a carbon coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Those are going to be some massive weight savings

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
581 - 600 of 640 Posts