Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been screwing with this thing for years now. It's time to at least make it rideable. My goal is to strip as much weight from it as possible, warm over the engine, and make it look decent.

I was going to make an aluminum subframe, but it turns out that is currently just outside my skillset. Hacked and booger welded the steel 2 seater (biposto) subframe. The stock aluminum sub was cracking due to the weight of the battery and mess of electronics the previous owner stuffed in the tail. I considered a Microsquirt conversion but decided against that added difficulty since then I'd really never ride this bike again!

Motogadget M-Unit v2, M-Button, Ricks MOSFET RR, LSL triple and bars...yada yada yada....

Date at the bottom of the page, came in today's mail
Product Textile Font Material property Publication

Likely not the final seat location

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Soldered all the cut wires last week and had today to confirm it would start and then get the engine out to start tearing it apart. Guess I was a little too optimistic I could mess with every wire, delete all the relays, install the M-Unit, swap the RR, switch to coil-on-plugs, and actually have it start right up.

Spent a few hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't fire up and realized I had a spare ECU in there with no chip in it. Put in the ECU with the chip and no improvement. Doesn't seem to be getting spark. Disappointed level 11.

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it! I thought one of the ECU pin outs was a power out to trigger a relay, but it turns out it was a power in from the kill switch (pin out 26 for future reference). Fired up and idled like crap. Smoked a bit though, but it did last time I rode it a few years ago. I need to be sure it is engine smoke, not wiring smoke. Anyway, she lives again, finally.

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fired up and idled like crap.
Some garage troll detached one of the coil-on-plug leads. Fixed that and added a few ground wires and she runs like Flo Jo!

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system Rim

I bought this 996 engine 11 years ago to stick in my 916. It's been sitting in the garage under a trash bag ever since. I dont recall it missing dozens of screws including the drain plug! No idea what condition it is in. If it runs great, otherwise I really only need it for mock up purposes while I refresh the current engine. Time to swap it in....

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4 lbs of wiring, fuses, and relays gone. Another 2 lbs switching to coil-on-plugs. Goal is 350 lbs. Started at 405 lbs with the factory tail and Monster headlight amd guages. I'll need to add back some wires for headlights and signals.

Art Wire Electric blue Electrical wiring Event

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had a 900ss crank ready to send out for lightening which would stroke the engine to 1026cc. Internet says it's drop in, but the crank lightening guy said no. Skeptical, since there are many who have done it. Oh well, he's going to work his magic on the stock crank. It's in the mail.

On to the exhaust....

Aftermarket Termi 50mm system is 17lbs..
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Twig Flooring

I'm thinking I can beat that. Purchased some expensive fence posts and watched a bunch of YouTube vids so now I'm an expert. Let's screw some stuff up...
Dishware Ingredient Mixing bowl Serveware Bowl

Audio equipment Gadget Peripheral Gas Output device

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to cut the header flange out by hand. Learned all about work hardening in less than 5 seconds. Wasted money on dremel grinder wheels to hog out the header holes. They ended up looking like shit. Decided to have them laser cut. I thought I could scan the header gasket and use an online tool to turn it into a .dxf file. Laser cutter didn't like that. Took a few days to learn real CAD instead of Cardboard Assisted Design.

Font Office supplies Circle Eyewear Pattern

Font Symmetry Circle Astronomical object Pattern

Sent the file off to SendCutSend, who have awesome customer service, and a week later these showed up..

Brown Rectangle Art Creative arts Font

Turned out perfect..

Automotive tire Household hardware Bumper Gas Rim

Rim Nickel Auto part Close-up Metal

And we're off to the races...

Camera lens Automotive tire Drinkware Lens Table

Titanium welding isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Tight fit up is the key!!!! It's really slow going.

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a big shield cup and the collet it uses is way shorter than what I had and the one that came with it was 3/32" and I'm using 1/32" tungsten. Friday night and the welding shop doesn't open till Tuesday. Whataya do?

Right needs to be as short as the left

Calipers Automotive tire Tool Bumper Musical instrument accessory

Cut and tack welded

Sleeve Font Measuring instrument Computer data storage Metal

Looks like crap but it works for now.

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My best section yet. Only burned 3 holes and dipped the tungsten 4 times. Took about 20 minutes so good on gas too.
Wood Musical instrument Jewellery Gas Body jewelry

1 lbs on the left 2 lbs 5 oz on the right.
Hand tool Nickel Tool Auto part Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The exhaust is on hold while I figure out the muffler.

I've been stuck in decision paralysis as usual. Trying to figure out my headlight option. I want functional, but light weight. The single HID projector housing from a Lexus GS/IS, with a side mounted bulb to keep a low profile, weighs more than the two Chinesium rear mounted bulb projectors I had laying around.

Scrap wood mockup time where the plywood represents the front of the fork tubes.

This sticks out way too much:

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood Bag

Recessed so the back of the projector fits between the fork tube and the neck. But, looks ugly:

Audio equipment Gas Wood Auto part Fashion accessory

Both on the same side:

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Floor

·
30,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That left a large area next to the projectors of nothingness. I could make it a number plate, but that's not my thing. I found some 1" LED things that are used for boat interior lighting that I'll fill up the blank area with.

I'd like to 3D print a mockup and use for a mold. I can barely use 2D CAD so 3D is not even worth trying. TinkerCAD uses basic shapes as a starter and you can manipulate them as needed.

The whole thing is too big to be printed in my machine so I need to do 2 parts, maybe even 4, we'll see.

Here is all the shapes I need to use to get close to what I am after:
Rectangle Toy block Lego Toy Tints and shades

Combined together:

Rectangle Wood Font Electric blue Brick

Still some work to do, but moving along slowly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts