Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked this up a couple of years ago and finally got around to stripping it down and putting it back together. It's been a lot of work as I'm trying to salvage everything I can off of the original bike. Obviously that meant tearing it down to the frame and starting from scratch.

I decided to go with a raw metal look so the frame required a lot of work. after soda blasting, grinding and hand sanding I coated it with Sharkhide.

Both calipers were a mess so they had to be rebuilt. Ended up have to make a piston for the front caliper since no one seems to have one for the 1976 cb750f model.

Replaced all the wheel and steering head bearings. Bead blasted the hubs and laced in new spokes. Mounted Bridgestone Spitfires on the wheels.

Cleaned up the motor and painted the case. Cam cover is bead blasted and Sharkhide.

Tank is bare metal, hand sanded and treated with Sharkhide. refurbished the emblems to black and raw metal for the letters.

Bought some 7/8's tube and made the handlebars. Refurbished the headlight and painted the trim ring black.

Modified the battery box to hold the 1.5 lb. lithium battery and tuck in my electrics so I could make a left side cover. Cleaned and painted the oil tank. still have to mount the regulator/rectifier combo unit.

Started rebuilding the carbs this week.

Still a ton of work to be done but it is starting to look like a motorcycle again.

Attachments

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
life got in the way of my project but I'm back at it. Finished work on my oil tank side cover, installed the carbs and k&n pods. have to pick up a chain tool to complete that installation. next up is new points and condensers then it's on to the wiring.

Attachments

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slowly progressing on the cb750. most of the wiring is done, headlight, front turn signals, handlebar switches, gauges, front fender mounted. rear brake is done, front still needs to be bled. need to shorten front brake line. throttle cables are on, used some from a cb919, they were the perfect length to go with the homemade handlebars.

Seat pan is mounted, just received the foam so will start on the seat this week.
Redoing the tank, it is a rusty mess inside.

Here's a few pics so I have evidence that I have been working on it.

Attachments

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Love the raw metal finish!
Subbed.
Going to have to look into that sharkhide stuff...

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Getting closer to the finish line.
Did the upholstery on my seat, I give myself and 8 out of 10 for the first attempt.
Seat is not mounted, just sitting on the frame.
Got my pipes from Carpy and have them installed. Will need to jet and sync the carbs.
Still need to install speedo and clutch cables.
Haven't quite decided on the tail light and turns signals.
Hope to be riding by Labor Day.

Attachments

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what is this sharkhide you speak of ?
It is a clear protective coating used in the marine industry to prevent corrosion.
It is a little pricey but really easy to apply. Just wipe it on with a cotton cloth.
No runs or streaks, dries to the touch in less than two minutes.

Just clean the surface with lacquer thinner before applying.
I've used it on all the metal surfaces on the bike.
I spoke with the manufacturer before I tried it. They told me it would prevent
corrosion for 8 years. I bought a quart can and still have half of it left.

The cool thing is if you decide to paint something you've coated all that you have to do
is clean it with more lacquer thinner.

$80 a quart but lots cheaper than a paint job or powder coating.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I forgot I wanted to remember to look that stuff up :D

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I got this seat pan really cheap. Wasnt' exactly what I wanted but it is metal.
Didn't want fiberglass because I don't want to have to paint it. Problem is, as seen in the first pic, it curves inward. Seriously hampered my attempts to find a taillight assembly that would work. So I got this little led taillight, brake light, turn signal combo and decided to recess it into the tail.
It isn't finished yet but here are a few pics of the work so far. Using 321 stainless for the housing. Most of the housing will be cut away once I have the hole cut in the tail.

Electrical wiring Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wire

Leg Technology Hand

Automotive exterior Fender Bumper Tire Automotive tire

Technology Electronics Bumper Auto part Electronic device

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got the taillight housing welded into the seat pan. Ground the welds down, now a little final finishing and it will be done.
I will cut the extension off of the housing. All in all I'd say it came out pretty good. I was a little worried since I only had one
shot at getting it right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Sweet and simple. Very clean looking build. Gotta love these SOHC CB's always in style. Keep up the nice work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts