Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed there are a lot of lithium based mini jump start packs coming on the market at a roughly $60 price point. Some charge via USB, some via ~14v wall wart.

How viable would it be to wire something like that is as a battery? Maybe even make it an easily removable component, so that you don't need a key (it IS the key), can use it normally, and don't have to worry about damage from weather / theft.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Tis an idea. I don't know if it could take being charged by the bike.
also the key is now the size of a tablet.
otherwise if it worked that antigravity one looks like a good size for my bike.
rw

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idea was to put something like a 12v to USB power converter down-steam of your rectifier and use that to charge it. Most of em either charge off USB (5 volt) or a 15 volt wall wart (in which case yeah, your rectifier could charge it directly).

Looking at regular batteries, I see you can fairly easily get a larger (at leat 50%) capacity LiFe battery for about the same price, so it may well be a dumb idea even if workable. Still, the fact its easily removable is potentially appealing. Especially since I'm building a 'post apoc' bike where easily taking the battery with you as the 'key' (or to jump otehr vehicles) would just add to flavor. I suppose I could just put quick connects on a normal LiFe battery and pull it out when needed, things only weight like 1 lbs.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
The key to keeping the new style lithium batteries alive is to upgrade the charging system to a mosfet style r/r like the Shindengen FH020AA. If the r/r isn't upgraded it will most likely kill the battery prematurely.

I did a quick search and found a c/net article mentioning the batteries only have a certain number of charge cycles. I don't know if this would increase if they aren't completely discharged. Maybe something to look in to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts