Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Procrastinator
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All bolted back together, sort of, it was clear that the rear wheel spindle is 10mm too short, and was pulling the arms of the swinging arm together when tightened up. And, consequently, the wheel spacers were wrong too.
So, a swift bit of jiggling and juggling with two hands, a spindle, a wheel, some spacers, a rule and a digital caliper, and measurements were taken and another spindle and some spacers blagged off t'interweb. One bonus is that the new spacers will be aluminium and not steel, so a teeny tiny weight saving there.
Also, the weird issue with the rear wheel rotation seems to have gone away with the new pads (or new bearings?)...
Oh, and the velocity stack that I bought off a pit bike specialist that was designed to fit the 26mm Mikuni carb doesn't. Fit that is.
 

·
Procrastinator
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, new spindle arrived, and with it and the wheel in place - and a piece of string drafted in for alignment purposes - it became blatantly clear that there would be fettling required to get wheel alignment...
More drastically, it also seems that the caliper plate torque lug thing (what is the proper name for that?) wasn't big enough to slot into the caliper mounting plate with the wheel centrally mounted. You may be able to see that in this pic...
 

Attachments

·
Procrastinator
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I was going to have to either extend the stub on the swinging arm, or the slot on the mounting plate. As my TIG is playing up (and my alloy welding is truly abysmal) and my MIG is working (and my mig welding is marginally less abysmal), I decided to extend the caliper plate to suit...
Two pieces of angle iron were cut and welded onto the plate...
 

Attachments

·
hooligan quads
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
There's talk of 18 months

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 

·
Procrastinator
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I mentioned earlier that I needed to check the wheel spacers with the spare wheels... well, the wets that I have are on identical wheels, so all is cool there.
However, the slicks are on a set of different 3 spokers (look a bit like Dymag hollowspokes, which is cool), and these have different hub sizes (of course!). With a bit of jiggery pokery I got some spacers sorted for the front okay, but the back was a little more involved, as the disc is offset from the centre of the hub by a different amount. So I'm still farting about with that and have a couple of spacers to cut down to suit. Really wish that I have a lathe right now...
 

·
Procrastinator
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
As Yan knows, I cut down some spacers with hacksaw and file nicely enough, and got the wheel mounted fine, but something wasn't quite right...
Chain on, and it was worrying close to the tyre, and standing back the whee wasn't central. Seat off and a bit of string along the frame showed that the wheel was too far left, so while the spacers got the wheel in okay, they needed some late night sums doing and tonight's job is recutting spacers to move the wheel over, and then recheck the chain to see if spacers are needed behind the sprocket...
 

·
Procrastinator
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Fired up on the second kick with the new Mickey Rooney, with was both surprising and pleasing. Not had chance to have a blast up the lane yet as it's been pissing down, but also fitted a baffle to hopefully take the edge off the bark...
 

Attachments

·
Procrastinator
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hmm, not everything went according to plan...

At the track, bike fired up, ticking over nicely, a couple of steady laps to get some heat into the slicks (not ridden on slicks before, so steady away) but a slight misfire at higher revs became more insistent when raising the pace. So pulled in to whip off the airfilter with the hope that I might get a clue as to the misfire...
Back out, and barely covered 20 yards before stumbling to a halt, with fuel pissing out of the carb. The drain plug on the bottom of the float bowl had spun itself out, dropped off and disappeared, never to be seen again.
A push back to the pits and I fitted the original carb that I had fortunately brought with me. It fired up after a couple of kicks, and a steady tickover again meant I could go back out.
Again, less than 20 yards and it spluttered to a halt... Another push back in, and investigation showed zero spark, and a coil bracket that was just about to shear off.. game over.
Although a couple of very generous offers meant that I did get some proper track time on a bike that was running properly, which also gave some insight into the fact that mine was A) slow, and B) vibrated even more than it should...
I'm guessing that it was misfiring from the very start due to dodgy ignition components and that shady coil bracket, but I'm going to test all the electrical components and replace the crap stuff with good stuff.
 
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Top