Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
That 1 guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother bet me that I couldn't build a Fighter from the ground up within 5 years and being the stubborn and egotistical person that i am i took the bet. I have 0 experience with motorcycle mechanics.... So any advice or help on this?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
well you did the first thing right......you came here.....

there are lots of smart dudes in here that can help.

I think the first thing you need to figure out is what motor you are going to use then start thinking about your suspension set up.

What kind of tools and know how are you bringing to the table.

·
That 1 guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been thinking about using a 2001 cbr 600R engine and i have many tools i can use but will probably end up buying more

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That 1 guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I didn't know the Cbr 600RR wasn't made until 2003 and apparently neither does the guy that was selling it.

The bet was just an argument turned bet. (My brother said he would have a full race setup on his 2010 cobalt before i built a motorcycle and we gave each other 5 years.)

I have a good amount of experience working with tools.

I don't have to make my own frame

Yes it does have to be street legal (not part of the bet but i would like to be able to ride it after I'm done)

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
How in depth does this street fighter have to be? Cause if its just gotta be simple you definitely have it, in like 6 months, thats including the search for the bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
That 1 guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it only has to be simple. He just specified it had to be rideable, a fighter and done in 5 years. We set the 5 year time limit because we are not employed (he is 17 and i am 16 in a few days)

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I remember seeing a build thread for an fz1 or fz6 with a fork swap and swingarm swap which he had to relocate the shock mount for and did a custom subframe. All in 5 days, not 5 years.

·
That 1 guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. The problem at the moment isnt the time factor as much as the lack of money i have, to spend to build a bike at this time

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Heck if money wasnt an issue we all would have our dream bikes. Good luck though man, i'm gonna be watching for your build

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

·
That 1 guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah thats true if i had enough money i would turn an Aprilla into a fighter :p but money is a pain.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Dude if youve no motorcycle experience an aren't really mechanically inclined and have 5 years to do this my best advice is save up for at least 1 year for a really solid platform at a good price after doing lots of research here and picking a good fighter platform. Then take you're time learning its ins and outs. And spend the last 2 years building it. If you've got 5 years theres no sense in rushing any of it cause you might end up shooting yourself in the foot because of it when you had lots of extra time to do your homework.

Also a Cobalt race car........why? Lol

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Ditto on JJ's advice, watch some builds on here, gather monies and ask questions.

Just a quick tip, almost all Hondas share the same diameter steering stem/bearings.....so swapping front ends is real easy. there's more gems of info like that floating around this place. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts