Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, noobalicious here. I am currently in the middle of rebuilding my 2003 Sportster 1200 XLH into a streetfighter. At first I was thinking bobber, then cafe racer, then tracker, then scrambler, streetfighter, time machine, whatever, so who knows where I will end up. I started with just wanting to paint some of the ridiculous amounts of chrome and polished aluminum, but as I started removing parts, I just kept finding issue after issue, corroded and leaking fuel hoses, missing parts, rusted bolts, etc etc. Right now I the bike completely disassembled, minus the engine. My step-dad bought the sportster at auction for about $3k, decided he didn't like it and eventually gave it to me. It runs, and runs great, but definitely needs some love. The previous owners did not take care of her. It look like she was even left out in the elements, but do not fear, I will treat her right. I already have an R1 that I converted into a streetfighter. I wasn't sure what all wanted to do with this bike, this is my first cruiser. I've had two R1's and CBR 929 RR. A little backstory, I'm a computer technician, here lateley I've been working at a company doing security / access control programming. I've also been in to smart home automation for years with raspberry pis, arduinos, etc. I decided I wanted to make my own speedometer, but not stop there, i wanted to complete remote access to the motorcycle, so I can remote start, gps tracking, data logging, control the lights/LEDs. With the bike being torn down, I'm starting with the basic electronics, maybe the future I'll go a step further and get into the engine/air/fuel. For now I just want to control the lights, speedo/tacho/gear, fuel level, remote start are my top priorities, and of course painting and making the bike look [email protected]$E. I would like to keep track of my rebuild progress here on customfighters.com.

I have currently been working with a Nextion screen, which I connected a hall effect sensor through an Arduino Uno, which is connected to a Raspberry Pi 4. I bought a CQRobot liquid level sensor that I plan to use for the fuel level. I also found a website to print my speedo case design for the Nextion screen, which has 16 holes where I am currently working on charlieplexing the LEDs so that when I rev the throttle the LEDs will light up around the screen. So far I have created a few pages on the nextion screen, with a boot sequence. I have successfully tested the hall effect sensor with the arduino and nextion, although not on an actual motorcycle, I used a DVDROM motor with a disk and a magnet. It's not perfect yet, but I'll get there. I just got finished priming, painting, and clearcoating the upper forks with black rattle cans. I'm actually impressed with how well it turned out. I also decided to paint most of the engine with high heat 5,000 degrees spray paint. I painted all of it black, and then I'm going to paint the top of the engine a dark metallic. When I did a trial run to see how it would look, the paint scheme kind of reminded me of the T-800 robots from the terminator movies, NOT when they were all chrome and shiny, but when they were beat up, dull, and old. You'll see eventually. I've been working on designing some decals which I plan to cut on my wifes Cricut and maybe apply to the gas tank mainly. I was thinking either creating a template and painting the template, or using the actual decal, and painting clear coat over it, we will see. I will probably use rattle cans on the entire bike. I just purchased some 2k clearcoat which suppposedly will not melt if fuel gets on it. I want to get everything painted before I use the 2k. Back to the computers, the nextion will handle all the display/graphics related items, the Arduino is going to manage all the analog stuff like sensors and lights, so far I figure I will just use the Raspberry Pi 4 for remote access. I'm sure I'll come up with some more stuff. Oh yea there was one think. I was thinking of using Crankshaft on the pi, which I will have a physical button that allows me to switch between the nextion graphics and the Pi display. Crankshaft transforms the Pi into an Android Auto head unit. Thats all I can think of for now. I'll work on getting more pictures up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts