Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First build 2007 yamaha FZ6
Iv started two threads with about zero success in getting discussion stared so I'm trying this as I'm a noob and probably should stick to the noob part of the forum

My bike has a single muffler set up with a heat sheild that makes it look like duals. Because the tail section is designed around this dual heat sheild the only kind of exhaust i can buy slip on wise involves buying two cans at 4-500 bucks a can plus the y pipe and fendor eliminator. With a wife and baby neither of who have paying jobs i cant really afford this.
Been toying with the idea of trying a glass pack cheap as hell and the fewvids i saw on youtube sounded nice too.
I really am looking for something thatll give it a deeper lope the way thetwo brothers cans do. I know it wont get tha deep and beggers cant be choosers lol
Also looking for any advice pictures of tail mods id like to shorten mine up about 10 inches Id post pics but for whatever reason when i try the quick uploader it tells me I have exceeded my file usage or some shit
So cut to the chase I'm looking for cheap inovative ideas on exhaust and tail mods be it links pictures whatever I just..want..help!

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,353 Posts
What about getting cans from a different bike and modding them to fit? Not sure how handy you are and what tools you have at your disposal. An exhaust shop would be able to help though. Cans from a Ducati, R1, etc. You could get stock cans and core them or modify them to give you some sound. I cored a stock Ducati 748 can for a buddy. Removed the rivets and only kept the aluminum skin. Found some perforated stainless tube and welded it to the end cap and wrapped it in muffler packing.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
dont put a glasspack on it. cheapest route would be to look on ebay for something cheap that you can make fit. you may need to do some cutting and welding but thats to be expected

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cored a stock Ducati 748 can for a buddy. Removed the rivets and only kept the aluminum skin. Found some perforated stainless tube and welded it to the end cap and wrapped it in muffler packing.
You got any pictures of the cans you modded I would really like to see them.
I would probably be able to do just about anything I want for the exhaust so long as its cheap i work at a tire shop that does just about anything and thursdays we get to stay after hours late as we want nd work on stuff I'll check out some of those stock cans and see what they look like and what i could do. Thanks for the advice bud its nice to get some positive feed back and not see my thread get hits with 0 replies haha

TO PIESTER
Why not the glass packs is that a total noob move on mypart to do the glass packs or too gaudy or hard on the motor. I kinda wanna avoid cutting nd welding too much til i start in on the tail Im not sure what I wanna do with it but I really like the buell xbs12 seat I was toying with that and Im kinda stuck on it. I wanna shorten it up a lot but i got a second rider a lot of time too so I gotta leave room for her ass.... quick side note I fucing LOVE your bike dude so sik voted for it for fighter of the month last month I seriously get wood every time i see it just sayin and thanks for the words of wisdom on your end as well

·
30,353 Posts
I don't have any pics handy. Pretty straight forward. The baffles pull out and you are left with 2 end caps and the aluminum skin. Weld some perforated stainless tubing to an end cap. 2" diameter would probably work. Weld a coupler on the other end cap for the perf tube to slide into. Wrap perf tube in muffler packing, assemble, and rivet. Adapt new cans to your bike and enjoy. I would bet you could find some stock cans for under $80.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So can you pull the end caps off the skin after you get the muffler and then youd weld that perf tube you were talking about to one of the end caps what do you mean by cuppler just another ring to slid the perf tube into on the other cap after you wrap it do you have to split the aluminum skin at all and what do you mean by rivet it im learning a lot of different things where i work but thats just it im still learning so you need to dumb it down for me im a hands on learner not very visual sorry if im annoying or ignorant man

·
30,353 Posts
Check out this video. It shows how to repack an exhaust can. With the steps I discussed above you would end up with the aluminum skin and two end caps. An piece of exhaust tubing should be welded to the inside of each end cap so that the perforated tubing will stay centered in the exhaust can. Then pack and rivet the end caps back on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A thousand thanks brother really appreciate it. You wouldnt have to necassarilly put that muffler packing you could just weld that perforated tubing and reassemble that wouldnt be hard on the motor and youd still get a nice sound right?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
You know what they call a can without packing? A tube. Run your bike without a muffler for a day and see what happens.

Fwiw with the skillset you have or are admitting to, you need to do bought instead of built.

If you want to try it anyway, get a used secondhand stock muffler and hack into it. They must go cheap as they'd be hard to damage In a minor spill. Do not hack into your daily ride without a backup plan!

If you wanted to try built I'd say get a stock 748/916 exhaust and gut it. You might be lucky. But nothing is going to be cheap, perfect and just bolt on. Modding isn't that easy or everyone would be doing it and two bros would be out of business.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts