Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow riders/builders.

I'm trying to get modern rubber on an early 8o's bike build and want to stay with the Comstar wheels. With custom CNC wheel fabrication possible, I would think you can have new rims cut with the necessary widths (front and rear) that can reuse the oem flanges/spokes and hubs.

Can anyone recommend a place that might be able to do the rim CNC fabrication. I have reached out but got no returns. I figured I would have to assemble the wheels and am okay with doing so.

Jerry

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt,

I am aware of that mod going to spokes. I think if I'm going with spokes, I'll use GL1000 hubs to gain the rear disc and lace up wider rims.

I just don't know how strong the wheels are. The bike they are going on is lighter than the GL1000, so it should be strong enough I suppose.

I would just think if the rim swap could be made, there would be a market out there to get the modified Comstar wheels on other [Honda] bikes (GL1000/1100, CB900, CB750F, and the CX500/650 turbo bikes).

Jerry

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
If you are gonna CNC a whole rim, why not CNC the spokes so they bolt to the original hub... or CNC the hub so the bearings can be swapped over... seems a waste to machine a new rim and run an ancient hub.

I like the look of the spoke conversion. But aren't you supposed to mirror the leading / trailing spokes? IE, all leading spokes go to inside, all trailing to outside, or vice versa. Looks like these are set up with one side leading spokes inside, and the other leading spokes outside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are gonna CNC a whole rim, why not CNC the spokes so they bolt to the original hub... or CNC the hub so the bearings can be swapped over... seems a waste to machine a new rim and run an ancient hub.

Stuck with the original hubs because of the shaft drive. I like the look of the original spokes, but I did consider having the rim and spokes cut as one unit, but not sure you could fit the hub into this machined piece. If you could do this, they would sell like hot cakes.

Jerry

·
890 Posts
Honestly there's only about 6 people on this planet that prefer the look of Comstars to conventional spokes.

Not sure what design you are thinking of to CNC a rim with spokes to bolt on to a Comstar hub, but I would think it would have a lot of problems with structural integrity. Unless it's like a Fat Boy wheel.

·
Registered
740 Posts
In the Vmax community, getting the stock 15" rear wheel modified to accept modern 17" sportbike tires was fairly popular. Kosman Racing would do it for ~$550, or about half the price of a new machined 17" wheel, and I heard good reviews of their quality.

I'm not sure if they could pull the same trick with Comstars, but might be worth giving them a call.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
I like the look of the original spokes, but I did consider having the rim and spokes cut as one unit, but not sure you could fit the hub into this machined piece. If you could do this, they would sell like hot cakes.
I couldn't personally do it (no cnc and suck at 3d modeling), but looking at the hub on http://motosynthesis.blogspot.com/p/products.html I see no reason the parts couldn't fit. Depending on the the desired look, might be nice to modify the hub as well- the parts the 'spokes' bolt to could be notched to allow 'mag style' spokes to bolt inside, rather than outside.

I suspect that it would cost a lot more than converting to wire spokes as he did. Hotcakes only sell if people can afford them.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
check these guys out, about the only company out there doing what your looking for. They will cut the lip off your rim, space and reweld to widen your wheel. I think its about $375-400 or somthing last time i checked.

http://kosmanspecialties.com/services/wheel-widening-and-weldups/

I know this aint a comstar but gives you the general idea...

G

·
Guys thats all well & good going wide on the rim but he's sure to run into clearance problems if the rest of the bike is stock !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the Vmax community, getting the stock 15" rear wheel modified to accept modern 17" sportbike tires was fairly popular. Kosman Racing would do it for ~$550, or about half the price of a new machined 17" wheel, and I heard good reviews of their quality.

I'm not sure if they could pull the same trick with Comstars, but might be worth giving them a call.
Perfect, this what I was looking for! My five other comstar loving buddies are going to take a look at going this route.

I have checked the wheel/tire clearance using a ST1100 rear wheel. I'll have to modify the swingarm a bit to make lateral clearance on the driveline side - I need about 0.25". The radius will not be an issue either as it will be the same as stock.

I'm sure it will not be cheap, but what custom piece is?

Jerry

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
I like Comstars. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Usually diameter isn't much different. The original bias tire had a lot higher profile- 70 or 80, where radials are more like 50 or 55.

On the Vmax, going from the stock 150-90-15 to a 180/55-17 radial actually geared the bike down, so the tire had a smaller circumference. Going to an 18" rear would be a little larger than stock.

Radial sizes between 150 and 190 are most common, so finding one that fits width-wise shouldn't be much of an issue.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
I'm looking at getting Continental Classic Attack tires. They are radials specifically made in 'vintage' sizes. They tend to be on the spendy side (~$150 each) but cheaper than custom rims AND new radial tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Modifying the Honda Comstar wheel

I'm looking at getting Continental Classic Attack tires. They are radials specifically made in 'vintage' sizes. They tend to be on the spendy side (~$150 each) but cheaper than custom rims AND new radial tires.

I looked into this option and found they only make limited sizes. There is no 130/80-16 option. In fact, there is NO 15, 16, or 17" rear option. I think this tire was aimed at the the 60's and early 70's bikes (with wire wheels).

The 15" and 16" [rear] options may have to wait for another 10 years. I think the first manufacture to offer an option will corner the market as there are a lot of late 70's/80's bikes out there.

Jerry

·
V-4 for 4 life
1,707 Posts
it looks like if you can get some cnc work done you just need to keep the spline drive and some sort of wheel bearings inside it( to help support the gearbox , beyond that if your going to go all out and cnc something, make provisions for discs and setup a hub for a car rim maybe? ( positive offset for sure), or a motorcycle rim you can make the alignment work with and still have a space for the spline unit and cush drive bushings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts