Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi,

Liking your progress, nice wheel combo and a subtle exhaust too.:rock:

Question about your M-unit and neat switches, do you use the original wiring loom? or make a new one? what about the bikes ECU etc, does it connect to any of those signals?

Best of luck with your project.
Cheers, @yantosh is right, it is just a fancy set of relays and fuses with an alarm system built in and doesn't mess with the ECU. But because it can be configured to replace the starter and ignition relays it allows you more control over how you start the bike (RFiD, Bluetooth, switch, etc.) and allows the simple alarm system to immobilise the starting circuit.

It can also make your switch and lighting circuits easier and cleaner (fewer wires) but this only really works if you are replacing all of your switch gear and the lighting part of the loom.

In my case I will be modifying my loom to make best use of the m.unit but only because I'm changing all of the lights, handle bar switches and ignition lock and reducing the length of the original loom to fit the restricted space I will have under the seat.

My new switches are all push button momentary switches i.e they don't make a permanent connection like a light switch, they just make the connection while they are pressed (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here) the m.unit takes the single pulse as a signal to complete an action, the the m.unit reads the pulse as a signal so if you send multiple pulses i.e press the button twice it can be set up to perform different functions, for example:

I press the Left Turn signal button once - the m.unit receives a single pulse and activates the turn signal

If I double tap the Left Turn signal button - the m.unit receives a double pulse and activates the hazard lights

Means you can get away with fewer buttons, I think the minimum you can use is 4 buttons but for some reason that stops you from using the keyless go function.

It also takes a speed readings and interfaces with your phone via bluetooth (m.unit blue only) so it can give you additional telemetry if you need it.

And of course it works with your standard switch gear as well.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm runnng a 520 chain on my gsxr1000 for clearance issues,

That’s good to know, was a bit worried never having done anything like that before and your gixxer is amazing
Builds like yours are the inspiration behind me getting out there and doing my own bike :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
are u fitting an M-button??

No, I’m planning on using shielded CAT 6 cable. If I was going to get rid of the clutch switch and relocate the brake light pressure switch then I would have got the m-button, but as I have to run wires that can’t be hidden I couldn’t see the point.

·
Fucking Retard
258 Posts
Cheers, @yantosh is right, it is just a fancy set of relays and fuses with an alarm system built in and doesn't mess with the ECU. But because it can be configured to replace the starter and ignition relays it allows you more control over how you start the bike (RFiD, Bluetooth, switch, etc.) and allows the simple alarm system to immobilise the starting circuit.

It can also make your switch and lighting circuits easier and cleaner (fewer wires) but this only really works if you are replacing all of your switch gear and the lighting part of the loom.

In my case I will be modifying my loom to make best use of the m.unit but only because I'm changing all of the lights, handle bar switches and ignition lock and reducing the length of the original loom to fit the restricted space I will have under the seat.

My new switches are all push button momentary switches i.e they don't make a permanent connection like a light switch, they just make the connection while they are pressed (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here) the m.unit takes the single pulse as a signal to complete an action, the the m.unit reads the pulse as a signal so if you send multiple pulses i.e press the button twice it can be set up to perform different functions, for example:

I press the Left Turn signal button once - the m.unit receives a single pulse and activates the turn signal

If I double tap the Left Turn signal button - the m.unit receives a double pulse and activates the hazard lights

Means you can get away with fewer buttons, I think the minimum you can use is 4 buttons but for some reason that stops you from using the keyless go function.

It also takes a speed readings and interfaces with your phone via bluetooth (m.unit blue only) so it can give you additional telemetry if you need it.

And of course it works with your standard switch gear as well.
Thanks for all the info Monkey rum, does more functions than I thought in combination with an m-unit, current project bike not worthy of such investment, then again can always drag them over to another bike.

Will you be having to relocate ECU?

Have you ever seen a ECU located atop a airbox??

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I do have to relocate the ECU but am lucky that there is an area at the back of the engine that should be big enough to fit the electrics.

The only downside is its a fairly hot and harsh environment for electronics so I will be building an enclosure to protect them. Might even go a bit McLaren F1 on it.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thinking about it you can fit an ECU anywhere as long as you keep in mind that heat, vibration and electro magnetic interference are ECU killers, keep it way from than and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
50,679 Posts
Goodonya for getting the SSSA in there so nice,great to see all the wheel showing.I am a fan of them stubby can muffs for sure.Keep up the good work Monkey ;)

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I’m currently sitting in my shed stripping the wiring out of the bike and I’ve come to realise that the thing I hate most about wiring is the stickiness urgh!!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah it’s slow going but I’ll get there eventually, I’m still hoping I can get it up and running before the comp finishes but I definitely wont have time for it to be all painted and finished

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.