Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued this MG that had as its last rider a thieving scumbag in Manchester. It had a bit of a mild revamp as a cafe racer which I completed around 2015. I haven't used it much which I want to change. I can no longer sit in a sports crouch on the bike so I am going to completely restart this project into something else. It's a bit of an unusual candidate for a special but we will see how this turns out. Currently, it is in a lot of boxes but I have made a start.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I would start with dismantling the bevel drive as this is shaft driven. Didn't purposely search for a MG for this reason...only bought this as a project to keep me and my old man busy when my mum passed away...and it was cheap! so it's definitely a keeper.

Anyway, it would seem that witchcraft is required with Guzzi bevel drive units and this fought me a lot. I only wanted to remove the cover to get it cerakoted originally. Speaking with guys on a MG forum these things can leak when dismantled o_O. So I have dismantled a working, non-leaking drive unit. Ah, well. Apparently, special spline grease is required and is mixed with 10% of some other formula that came from Italy and is used on BMW's...think it's made with the ground up bits of unicorn horn. When I took mine apart there was a lot of grease in the swingarm and not a great deal on the splines so probably would need doing sooner rather than later.

Now I have all the parts required such as gaskets and the need to use 3 metal shims to ensure no leaks. Apparently, they can all vary so take note of them as there are lots to choose from and if you don't know what size yours are it's just a lottery then. So my next job is to reassemble the unit ready to connect up with the engine which is on my bench having had a thorough clean...did consider cerakote but not risking ballsing up the reassembly of the engine when it works fine. Came across some great stuff for using on anything but I am aware the Triumph community have used it to spruce up engines...it's called Rub 'n' Buff and it's a kind of wax. Used it to great effect on a 1991 ZXR engine.

I have bought new bolts for it and various other bits. There was the thinnest strand of wire that got lodged behind the shaft meaning I could not remove the bearing race...but eventually got it off and have a replacement.

Gas Engineering Gear Machine Auto part

Gear Bicycle part Crankset Automotive tire Engineering

Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal Circle

Before and after photos of the engine to follow.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would seem that having a bike stood and doing nothing in a clean non-workshop environment means it will get filthy.

Crankset Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle fork

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part

Gas Machine tool Engineering Machine Wood

Copious amounts of Jizer degreaser and a few brushes got it back to a finish that I was happy with. Rub 'n' Buff did the rest. I still have half of one side of the engine to go. I took the clutch lever off and did the same to that and it turned out really nice. As far as I know this stuff is long lasting.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Engineering Vehicle

Motor vehicle Engineering Wood Gas Machine

Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Gas Hand tool

Hand tool Geologist's hammer Tool Wood Metalworking hand tool

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whilst waiting for the magic spline grease additive of molynbdnum, I took the brakes apart and took the powdercoat off the tank. Being as this was my first attempt at bike building I didn't know how utterly shit powdercoat looks on a tank. I know that Nitromors and its ilk have been castrated so I took a punt on another paint remover and it's bloody brilliant.

Drinkware Paint Drink Lid Solvent

Cap Hat Automotive tire Artifact Wool

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Font

I did use the bike for only a couple of runs out over the last two or three years and in that time the brakes have turned to shit. Looking at Cerakote for these too. Anyone got any good or bad comments about Cerakote?

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Tool Gas

Automotive tire Camera accessory Cameras & optics Wood Audio equipment

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Wood Cameras & optics

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Auto part

Wood Metalworking hand tool Gas Paint Engineering

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the finest of building traditions I decided to do several jobs at first and in the wrong order. Determined to use the ZXR forks that I had earmarked for the Bandit special I binned off I made contact with one of our super community members who I shall not name unless he is fine with me doing so. Removal of the bandit stem from the ZXR750 lower yoke and then a sleeve being turned up and the Moto Guzzi stem being pressed into it I think it might just work.

Musical instrument Gas Wood Metal Audio equipment

Wrench Bicycle part Wood Ratchet Gas

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Motor vehicle Wheel

Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bumper Bicycle fork

Also required would be a new axle and nuts that fit the larger diameter fork bottoms but will go through the MG hub. Full marks to our mysterious machine shop wizard and I had all the parts I needed and done beautifully.

Wood Automotive tire Material property Gas Automotive wheel system

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset

Line Handwriting Font Cylinder Gas

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Vehicle

I would have liked to use the ZXR front wheel with its nice brakes but it's 120 wide whereas the MG tyre is 90 and the rear 110, so the only option was to use the MG wheel. Which will need spacers to stop it wandering about on the axle!! Our friend is going to sort me out there too :).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts