Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few friends and I have been working on an idea to help prevent motorcycle rear collision accidents. We are building a device to help warn riders when a vehicle is approaching too quickly from behind, as well as help catch the approaching vehicle's attention when triggered and encourage them to slow down.

In a nutshell, it works like this. On the one hand, a mounted sensor on the back of the bike will detect when a vehicle is approaching to quickly, then notifying the rider via a warning light from the dash/gauge cluster powerful enough to be noticed without taking your eyes off the road. On the other hand, once the device is triggered, the emergency lights (or additional warning lights attached on the bike rear) will activate, helping to catch the approaching vehicle's attention and encourage them to slow down.

If you have an opinion on this, I'd be happy to hear it. Also, we're mostly concerned with getting your opinion on the idea in general - don't worry about the technical aspects as of yet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Personally a flashing light on my dash would just confuse me what about an auditory alert?
Sign me up a guy in my town was just killed via an accident like this. Wasn't wearing a Helmet

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Along the same lines as devices like this, there is a few things I drill into the heads of new riders, and one of them is, "Watch your mirrors at a stop, it could save your life!".

I managed to get out of the way of a van that smashed into a car in front of me at a light back in 2007 when I was scoping out apartments in the city, it was a huge wake up call to watch as if in slow motion the full size chevy van plowed into, and completely destroyed the buick in front of it, had I not been off to the side slightly and left enough gap I would have been dead for sure, even with all my gear on.

A few weeks back as well, I was coming back into the city with my YZ400F on a trailer behind my Rav4, following a bike but giving him plenty of space and keeping myself between him and traffic as he seemed like a newer rider. He got stuck behind a city bus and couldn't get out into traffic, and instead of jetting around him and the bus I stayed where I was, no sooner I looked in my mirror than I realized a car was barrelling down on the both of us, driver staring into her lap. I leaned into the brake as hard as I could and her car came to a DEAD STOP when she hit my trailer, showering my YZ in broken plastic from her car and rocking the Rav4 slightly forward. Had I not been there it may have been game over for the bike. Not sure if he even realized what happened behind him too. Further leading me to believe situational awareness needs to be a far larger part of MSF basic rider course curriculum.

Not sure how something of a warning system would even work. But I imagine if it works even by proximity/speed like BMW was testing on the autobahn years ago, or like the back up warnings most modern SUV's have, it could be greatly beneficial to people who ride in the city like I do.

Always thought this was a really cool idea for riding in heavy traffic. Plus, I don't like mirrors on my naked bikes all that much. :D

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
helmet mirror...now thats fucking cool Ben

hope to see that tech pop up in a few years

and to op If you plan to how are you going to? proximity sensors? infrared? or magnetic?

Most dont have that much of an incredible range for distance and with the situations described above where you are clearly going slower or slowed down it has much less time to react and send out the message

maybe a continuous wave radar would provide much safer and longer distance monitoring (its usually those long waits at lights i see riders start conversating and not paying any attention) although not sure of the size of those systems relative to a regular sensor.

Sorry to pick your brain about it, its an idea ive had in the past as well

A while ago there was a post here with a brake light modulator that worked via a accelerometer

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
helmet mirror...now thats fucking cool Ben

hope to see that tech pop up in a few years

and to op If you plan to how are you going to? proximity sensors? infrared? or magnetic?

Most dont have that much of an incredible range for distance and with the situations described above where you are clearly going slower or slowed down it has much less time to react and send out the message

maybe a continuous wave radar would provide much safer and longer distance monitoring (its usually those long waits at lights i see riders start conversating and not paying any attention) although not sure of the size of those systems relative to a regular sensor

Sorry to pick your brain about it, its an idea ive had in the past as well

A while ago there was a post here with a brake light modulator that worked via a accelerometer
Revzilla is selling the reevu helmets right now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey, I like the idea, anything that helps us is worth trying.

My first thought was that the "warning" can be wired into alarms?? My alarm has a finding/warning button once presses it chirps a few times and the lights flash, maybe that or something alone that line would be an idea?

I'm also up of testing, I ride into London everyday. 1000+ Miles a month.

Ta
Grant

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's an interesting idea. Getting the calibration dialed in would be the tricky part. I've known of several people getting tagged waiting at red lights....I think a big factor in this is that a motorcycle brake light is about the same height/position as the trunk lid brake light on passenger cars. So someone who just takes a quick glance away from their phone doesn't recognize there's a bike there and then plan to stop about 10ft later than they should.

In the meantime, when you pull up to lights....leave a gap between you and the car in front big enough so you can quickly and easily pull forward to the side of the car. If you pull right up to their bumper you won't have room for this. Keep the bike in gear, hold your brake on, and watch your mirrors until the first car pulls up and stops behind you. I also usually pulse the brake light a few times as I see a car approaching. They sell little boxes that do this for you as well.

I'd think a loud beeper would probably be the best alert. Lights can easily be missed in bright daylight, of if the rider is looking around.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The biggest problem with this system is the sensor is going to cost a lot. I mean hundreds of dollars. But I would say it's a good idea!

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
I think the sensor could be something fairly cheap, like a kinect (not sure on the range on those, but something using same principle) or even just a cheap camera feeding info to a program that tracks the shapes it sees and alerts you when one is suddenly getting larger at an alarming rate.

However, in terms of visibility and safety, I think you could get 90% of the same benefits with a mod that pulses the brake light when you are not moving but the engine is running. Or by making a habit of bouncing your right foot up and down on the rear brake lever at stops.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
So a backup sensor wired to a light in addition to a speaker would work then

but we would just need to make it much longer range... still Itd take some distance to truly make an effective warning especially when you consider you being stopped at a ligwht and the velocity an unattentive driver could be coming at you

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
I like the idea. I'm waiting for kickass hud setups on helmets so we don't have to have any gauges and it transfers bike to bike.

I'd just worry about cost. You're already in a limited market with bikers that care about safety. Any sort of grants to be had from insurance companies or something?

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
I like the idea. I'm waiting for kickass hud setups on helmets so we don't have to have any gauges and it transfers bike to bike.

I'd just worry about cost. You're already in a limited market with bikers that care about safety. Any sort of grants to be had from insurance companies or something?
I agree with the cost comment. A lot of the riders I know either don't wear a helmet or grumble about paying even $200 for a helmet. I thought my Shoei RF1200 helmet was expensive but a helmet with proximity sensors on it I'm sure would blow away the price tag of my Shoei.

·
BLACK BELT
7,131 Posts
Don't worry about the cost.

If it works - over time the cost will come down.

Just get it done.

The problem I see is not enough warning time. And what are you going to do? If there's a car in front of you, you're fucked.

If you're at the front - what are you going to do - ride into cross-traffic?

If you're stopped on the white line (splitting traffic/filtering)... you might survive. Without any warning equipment.

:knucks:

·
Is my bike ok?
15,037 Posts
Anything to help is worth paying for.

I can't see how this could work seamlessly. Like was said before, it's gonna have to be able to to triggered so far back that you will have time to react. Seems it would would most likely be going off all day then.

You have the best sensors/computer that were ever designed already inside your own head: your eyes and your brain. Use them! Constantly!

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
Along the same lines as devices like this, there is a few things I drill into the heads of new riders, and one of them is, "Watch your mirrors at a stop, it could save your life!".
THIS issa golden rule mates ! Please do not get slaughterd from behind by some twapt who wil claim they never seen ya!

REP fer that one Benno'

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,504 Posts
I'm going to play Devils advocate, please don't take it personal.

How many people can see their dash in their peripheral vision when looking ahead? I can't and I rarely look at the dash. This is moot when I am stopped because I stare in my mirror until I have one large vehicle stopped behind me or 2+ cars.

A sensor that automatically flashes lights on the back of your bike will not pass DOT regs and may get you a ticket if it operates separate from your brake lights. What if it gets a mind of its own and goes nuts? "Hi officer, my flashing lights are malfunctioning. "

With that in mind, go for it, I'd love to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So we are following up on the idea with a slight change in how the person/rider is alerted.

I'll just report the entire explanation (with changes) here so you don't have to check the OP.

"
A few friends and I have been working on an idea to help prevent motorcycle rear collision accidents. We are building a device to help warn riders when a vehicle is approaching too quickly from behind, as well as help catch the approaching vehicle's attention when triggered and encourage them to slow down.

In a nutshell, it works like this. On the one hand, a mounted sensor on the back of the bike will detect when a vehicle is approaching to quickly, then notifying the rider via a loud warning sound (like a honk) powerful enough to catch the riders attention, and ideally that of the oncoming driver behind him. Rather than using lights like we previously tried, we believe sound is the best way to alert everyone - and this way you don't have to worry about light/mod laws.

This is meant as a last resort - there are instances where a second can make a huge difference, weather you can get in to a better position or the car speeding behind you hits the brakes or slows down. If you have an opinion on this, I'd be happy to hear it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts