Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Angry Northerner
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of moving the ignition switch from the top yoke to the RHS of my bike (2005 CBR600-RR). The wires from the ignition switch join the loom on the left side of the bike and, to get the switch where I need it on the right, I need to add about 850mm to the three ignition wires. Is this extra distance likely to cause any problems, increased resistance perhaps? 馃

The ignition switch connects to the loom on a multi-pin connector so I was going to cut the 3 wires at the back of the switch, add in the extra wire and re-connect the multi-pin section at the end. That would mean 2 in-line joins on each wire. The bike has HISS and I'm retaining that cos I can't be arsed to fuck about trying to bypass it when I don't really see the point so hopefully this won't be affected. 馃

Any advice very welcome. Thanks. 馃檪

Registered
I really wouldn鈥檛 think the extra length would matter, with good connections 850mm of wire should add minimal resistance.
Other thing you could do, lots more stuffing about would be to trace out where the wires come from, possible one or more originate close to where you鈥檙e putting the switch (the ignition switch and tail lights are at the extremities of the loom usually) I鈥檇 only go for this option if you had to strip the loom right back though.

Add the 850mm

Angry Northerner
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really wouldn鈥檛 think the extra length would matter, with good connections 850mm of wire should add minimal resistance.
Other thing you could do, lots more stuffing about would be to trace out where the wires come from, possible one or more originate close to where you鈥檙e putting the switch (the ignition switch and tail lights are at the extremities of the loom usually) I鈥檇 only go for this option if you had to strip the loom right back though.

Add the 850mm
Thanks matey, that鈥檚 what I hoped. 馃檪馃憤馃徎 I don鈥檛 have any need to strip the loom back so I鈥檒l just add in the extra wire. I鈥檝e made the bracket for mounting the ignition, which isn鈥檛 too bad given my limited welding skills and resources. It鈥檚 pretty solid and keeps the HISS ring around the ignition in place so that should make things a bit simpler. 馃馃徎 I鈥檝e just ordered the extra wire and some spiral binding to bundle it into. Just gotta wait for it to arrive and practice my soldering skills on some spare wire in the meantime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts