Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this bike up a few weeks ago off Craig's list for $250 with a clean title and an ugly vetter fairing along with a ton of stock replacement parts. Guy said it wasn't getting spark and he couldn't figure it out. He had replaced the coil, ignitor and even the pickup and still couldn't get it to run. With RacingGeek's help (by accident lol) we found it to be a temperamental kill switch causing the problem. So with no money into it, I had a running bike for $250. I was beyond excited because I had been searching for a small cc single to do a build for quite some time.

These are the pictures the guy used in his ad. The fairing was the first thing to go once I got it home.

I meant for this to be my winter build off project but with my job demanding a lot of time this winter I got a little too excited when I was given this past Monday off. It started with I'll just get some ideas for my build, to, well that takes care of that ugly subframe.

oh hey this is a good idea lol

Before surgery

After

buh-bye

My idea for this build is to keep the cost under $800 or so total including the price of the bike. With RacingGeek's help (he's practically a parts warehouse) that is entirely possible. I plan to reuse parts when ever possible, things like tabs and tubing just to keep costs and materials to a minimum. So with that in mind I began some more surgery on the luggage rack for a mock up of the new subframe. (keep in mind that I have a crappy Harbor Frieght welder and only two hands, when it comes to final welds, I will be taking it to my friends house to use a proper MIG) and yes I realize that it's pretty crooked.

Now my next decision was, what kind of wheels to use. I was debating on using spoked wheels but I've always want to use cbr f2 wheels and RacingGeek just happened to have some for test fitting as well as a f2 front end.

The masking tape shows what will be the support for the subframe just so I could get an idea before cutting up some metal. I must say, I was determined to ditch that tank and use a squarer Yamaha RD tank but after raising it up in back and having the lines of the tank match the frame, it looks much better. All of this progress in one day. I just hope there's work left this winter lol.

I ordered a lower bearing from AllBallz Racing for the f2 forks so they fit right. Top one was the same but the lower one is a little different. I'm debating on whether or not to swap the swing arm. I found a cheap rm250 swinger and linkage for sale locally and I'm trying to get dimensions from the guy to see if it will fit. So if any one has one that they could measure for me that would be great. Otherwise, I'll be sticking with the stock swingarm (boo).

I had a ballistic battery that I was gonna use but when it arrived, it only read 9v so I had to send it back for now and will hopefully get a new one shortly. Hopefully I will have more progress this weekend.

Even though I am starting a little early and probably won't officially be in the winter build off this year, I am keeping receipts and a running total for those who are interested.

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,010 Posts
I'm diggin' it, will be watching this build for sure!

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
The problem with little bikes like this (not that there's anything wrong with little, mind) is that bigger headlights can start to look too big. The standard 7in (which it looks like you have, actually) might look just a little large. An 8in from a BMW would start to look like an old train lamp. Sticking with a littler headlight might serve to keep the entire ensemble balanced.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Me and RacingGeek got some more work done today. I should say that HE got some work done. His patience and eye for detail is far beyond what mine is so he was able to help me notch the tubing for the subframe support. The supports are just taped for right now and the subframe is just tached in place. hopefully he can bring his MIG over tom and we can weld them for good. Next on the list after that is possibly swingarm brace and shock mount. Then I'll be working on some electrical. I love the fact that this bike is so simple. There's hardly any wires at all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some more work done today with RacingGeek's help. He brought his MIG over and we did some proper welding compared to my boogery welds with my flux core. As of now the Subframe is all welded except for one brace we still have to make, the tank mount is done although we may add two more supports just in case. I'm waiting on my battery to get sent back to me so I can start on the battery tray. With the tank raised up in back, there is a ridiculous amount of room between the tank and the frame. I'll have no problems fitting all the electronics underneath there. We were thinking about leaving part of the ballistic battery exposed through the "trellis" type tank mount that we made and having other red and black accents to set off the bike. Next on the list is getting the rear shock mount made(either using CBR600 hurricane or one of Mike's many shock he has laying around), headlight mount made, modifying the exhaust to fit the supertraap on and cutting and rewelding the rear hoop to match the lines of the rest of the subframe. I realized that with the new wheels there's no speedo drive. The front wheel is a vfr wheel and uses an electronic speedo. That means that I probably have to switch to an aftermarket gauge. Koso or maybe a Vapor like the one on my SV.
Picture Time!

We weighed it and added our guesstimate for everything else that needed to be put on and out total came to about 250lbs wet. We could probably get that lower with some lighter wheels. The F2 wheels are kinda heavy. Mike thought that maybe I should switch to CBR250 wheels if the budget allows but we'll see. Without the price of the front forks and wheels from Mike factored in yet, I'm a whopping $411 into this build as of now. I'm keeping a fairly detailed running total going and would like to keep it under $800 total

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm hoping to get some work done on the bike this weekend. My new battery came in the mail so I can start working on that. I have the tank stripped down to bare metal and will hopefully get some primer on tomorrow. I'll get some pictures up when I have some more progress.
I'm kinda stuck on what to do for gauges. I realized that I can't use my stock gauges due to the fact that the front wheel I'm using is off a vfr (same style wheel as the f2 cbr) and it used an electronic speed sensor instead of a gear driven one. So both stock gauges will be sold. I don't like those mini gauges and I don't want to spend $300 on a nice acewell or a fancy koso. I was thinking vapor trail tech but I kinda wanted to stick to a single round gauge, either Speedo(electronic) or tach(based off the coil) Any suggestion from you guys?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still no progress :( Been busy at work and the past few weekends have been doing other things. I have some more parts coming though. For the gauges, I've decided to go with a small bicycle speedo and for a tach, I'm using a older katana 600 unit and will mount them side by side similar to a koso rx2 but homemade lol.
I also bought some first gen sv650 clipons. Maybe I will be able to get something done this weekend.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Small update today. I have the tank some what prepped for bondo. I'm going to be filling in where the emblems were. The last owner put some sort of bed liner paint underneath the primer making for an uneven surface. Had to spend a lot of time taking that crap off. I also started on the battery tray which looks kind of ghetto at the moment but will be holding the battery and the R/R underneath. And yes those are zipties holding the R/R on. Just temporary but I have used it as a permanent solution on other bikes with out the ziptie melting.

I also programmed and was getting some ideas for mounting my speedo and tach. The tach in the picture isn't the one I'm using but is almost identical (but in better condition). The one i ordered is black face with white and red numbers. I want them sitting right next to each other like that(except more level, sorry only have 2 hands :p). I'm not sure if I'm going to make a small dash to hold them together along with some dummy lights.

Hopefully I can get at least get some primer on the tank soon. I would hate for it to sit as is all winter. I don't have the most ideal set up for winter painting. Next thing I'm looking into is the rear shock.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally some more progress. The girlfriend was working so I had the whole day to myself. Picked up some bondo early this morning and went to town. It's my first time using the stuff. Easier to work with than I thought. While I was doing the tank, I figured I might as well do something with the left over stuff so I fixed an older katana tach that had dents in it.

Then, using my professional spray booth, I got a few coats of primer on both. I used white primer because it was the only one they had left at autozone, Not sure if I like the white or if I want to paint it black like I originally planned. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Started working on another wiring diagram for my bike. I wanted to redo it with better quality connectors. I wanted to make it look really professional with that cool loom stuff. I hate to plug but I recently discovered vintage connections, so I'll be using a lot of their stuff for the re wire. I highly recommend them. This is what my wiring harness is looking like. Now to just get some wire and get started.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
I hate to plug but I recently discovered vintage connections
Smooth, I see what you did there. I appreciate when peeps give out their sources, helps the rest of us find what we need. It doesn't look like they sell weather proof connectors. Have you considered using those? Eastern Beaver is a good source. I've been using Wire Barn for my wire since it is good automotive grade stuff. It took me forever to figure out what wire is good to use.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Started working on another wiring diagram for my bike. I wanted to redo it with better quality connectors. I wanted to make it look really professional with that cool loom stuff. I hate to plug but I recently discovered vintage connections, so I'll be using a lot of their stuff for the re wire. I highly recommend them. This is what my wiring harness is looking like. Now to just get some wire and get started.
That's a really good, basic wiring diagram for any bike with no indicators. Nice work, I'll be saving this one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts