Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MVRK10256's "Friends in Low Places" - 2005 GSXR 600 Streetfighter Build Thread - DONE

Picked up a '05 GSXR for $700. Owe a friend some favors so I decided to build him a bike for cost.

Discussion goes here

Deets on the bike:
2005 GSXR 600
40k miles
Pulls hard
was highsided.
major oil leak due to crushed starter cover

Plans for the bike:
-Fix shit
-Get plated/tagged
-Blue w/ white stripe paint scheme
-clean streetfighter look with clip ons

Stuff done today:
-STVA fix - no more FI light
-Replaced ignition relay - starts without a screwdriver now
-Build paint booth in apartment
-strip down tank for bondo and paint
-gave my buddy title/F130U for him to handle that side

stuff ordered:
-Extra key
-new footpegs
-engine cover
-stock tail
-water bottle for overflow
-headlight materials

The real challenge is I am going to try to get it done in about 2-3 weeks while I am still unemployed and get it under $1k.

Total cost list:
GSXR - $700
Stater Relay - $15.00
Pegs - $8.00
Mirrors - $12.00
Engine cover - $13.00
Tail - $35.00
Bottle - $7.00
Headlight - $85.00

Total = $875

Pictures!

Paint booth:

Taking stuff apart and paint stripping (I hate this shit.)

So many layers

Thats all for today.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: MVRK10256's "Friends in Low Places" - 2005 GSXR 600 Streetfighter Build Thread

DAY 2.

Bought one of these from HF to help with stripping the tank. Awesome motor but its made of plastic, and the gears on the blade went out before I could even fully finish the tank. Ohh well guess its going back to HF tomorrow.

Same company different product. Much better.

shiny!

I hate bondo. Major dents marked

Finally got it all nice and smooth. took 3 bondo attempts. time for the filler primer to take care of the little stuff.

Hanging up for today. Just did not want the tank to rust. Thinking 2 solid layers of primer with a 500 grit wet sand in between. Buddy decided he wanted blue with a white thick stripe and two smaller white pin stripes. Once the tail gets here going to mock it up and then buy paint.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: MVRK10256's "Friends in Low Places" - 2005 GSXR 600 Streetfighter Build Thread

Day 3:

New engine cover came in so i fixed the oil leak. Here is the old one.

Idiot tried to JB weld it.

I was not happy with my previous bondo work. So here is round a billion. I am never doing paint and body work again.

Looks pretty good in normal light.

Took front hugger off and got it sanded.

White for the stripe.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Wet sanded and looking great.

Getting the stripe taped up.

Blue

And thats enough for today. Got an interview tomorrow, and hope to get oil and fluids done tomorrow so the bike will be ready for its bath. Then final paint and wetsanding/fixing issues. Then just gotta wait for the tail.,

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Got the stripe, final paint, and clear on today. Tail is due on 1/28 so that will be painted later. got the mirrors in as well. Double checked bike no longer leaks oil. gonna have to wash it before I put the body work back on. Headlight also got shipped.

Its going to rain/sleet/snow for the next couple of days supposedly so I am probably going to take a small break, then get to work on the mechanics.

BTW I hate body work. Never doing this shit again.

Shit

touching it up.

Mirrors

Clear going on. The tank came out well but that front tire cover stripe isnt perfect.

final wetsand and second layer gloss clear

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Day 5.

Hungover as fuck. Gah, realized i got the wrong footpegs, the wiring is a mess, and i hate my life. Just dont want to do anything today.

Here is the stuff that came in:

Here is how the bike sits:

so many breaks held together with tape. Going to have to go back, heat shrink, and solder all of these connnections.

Fuck is this? Under the seat

Had to lower the forks since I couldnt get the upper triple stem nut thing off. But finaly these bad boys are in place.

Here is where this will go.

Shit picture of what headlight will be like...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Day 6 or whatever.

Painting the tidbits.

Tail came in. Stock 750 tail. Sanded her down a bit.

Expensive ass rubber bits

Got the right pegs this time.

And some shorty levers for sexiness.

Parting together the HID setup from extra parts I have.

Done painting shit. Thank god.

Putting tank back in order.

Fresh brake fluid front and rear, plus a flush and bleed. Front was probably ok, but rear was junk.

Nice black old oil. Fresh golden stuff going in. New filter too. One day I want to meet someone who actually understands "finger tight"

Front harness stripped down to be hidden, and to tap into HIDs

Done

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Replaced junky pegs with new pegs.

Headlight mounted. Wires may end up being a tad short. Will sort it tomorrow when the tank goes back on.

And shorty's on.

Game plan is get the body all back together tomorrow, and be done with this shit.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Day 7

Mitch (friend who the bike is for) dropped by today and was pretty happy. Everything was great except it wouldnt actually turn over. Problem with the gear alignment or something in that side panel cause the starter spins without its idler gear. Sigh... He didnt have the paperwork anyway so I will figure it out this weekend and get it running. Hopefully next saturday we will get this done and the bike will be out of here. Still needs a bath and a photoshoot though.

Todays updates:

Just say no to painting stuff in your living room. so much particulate.

Extended the headlight lead.

Catch can water bottle is on.

OMG TAIL!

and front splitter. (what a pain)

Complete with tank and mirrros. But not running. Shoudl be done this week.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well the beast is done. Here is my submission post.

Judgement Pic:

More pics:

Video:

http://youtu.be/yWmJwFI2vik

Final Price list:

GSX-R600 - $700
Starter Relay - $15.00
Pegs - $8.99
Mirrors - $11.99
Engine Cover - $12.99
Tail - $35.00
bottle - $6.99
Paint/Body Stuff - $47.02
paint booth mats - $24.89
headlight - $85.00
Paint mats - $10.14
paint Stuff - $39.52
Rubber bits - $22.57
shorty levers - $25.99
Parts - $12.69
HID bulb - $9.91
HID ballast - $9.50
Oil - $17.99
Filter - $9.99
Bolts - $4.14
gas - $9.00

Total Cost: $1119.31

·
Registered
5 Posts

i think you should repaint the frame and other black parts cause it doesnt do enough justice compared to the new paint, and flip those headlights!

·
Registered
146 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts