Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
used some tape to kind of see how my rear fairing was going to shape up. it will continue up and be one piece with the trim piece from under the tank, just didnt feel like wasting all my tape

the holes from the subframe are there for a reason but Im not sharing that until I get to that point

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
like I said this is my first fighter build so any input is welcome
still have lots of fiberglass to do.... tail and radiator guards
mount headlights in helmet and mount helmet to forks
wiring for headlights and taillight
mounting all the stuff that was in my stock subframe
build a custom exhaust
maybe clip on risers
paint

·
Registered
269 Posts
IMO, the headlight is too big.... it should be the "face" of the helmet, not the whole head.
It leaves it too large and round for the shape of the bike, and adds a lot of visual weight to a bike you are cutting the tail down on.

But the SV light ona stubby tail... I like that a LOT!

Either way, keep up the work, and remember... it's YOUR opinion that matters. We all have a different style.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea I wanted to cut the helmet down more but than I wouldnt be able to fit the gauges on top. Also wanted to keep it looking more like a helmet than cutting it down so far it just looked like a mask. but yea it does look a little heavy on the front. I hope when I do the radiator shrouds it will make it look a little smaller. also stated with an xl helmet, should have used a small

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Is that all the tail you're going to have? I like the look, but the water, mud, dirt, etc. on your back will be miserable.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
For your subframe i would used a bolt support thru the regtangle tube so it doesn't squish the sides when you load it side to side. It could possibly snap the bolt off if it pulls away from the main frame with enough leverage. (i'm only speculating from experience)

But that's just an observation from a picture on the internet. I'm not judging the integrity 100% just curious about a possible safety issue.

here in the picture there is round stock drilled to the exact fit of the bolt giving the tube strength crosswise.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
In line with what "ultimatefighter" was talking about. When I made my top and bottom rails for my R6 subframe I put cut some round tube stock down and put it in the end of the square tube to prevent the bolts from squishing the rails down when torqued. The round was welded in after the pictures.

Subbed for action, I love me a yamaha build :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that all the tail you're going to have? I like the look, but the water, mud, dirt, etc. on your back will be miserable.
may be a little longer, an inch or two. I dont really ride in the rain or off road so Im not to concerned about it

lets link up, i'm in sac too. also check out my 05 r1 http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89929
for sure, as soon as my bike is done I plan on being on the road. itching to ride now. where do you typically ride? Im usually up on wentworth or at berryessa.

that 3d printer is sick, wish I had access to tools like that. Like the r1 too. are you on srf? scr?

For your subframe i would used a bolt support thru the regtangle tube so it doesn't squish the sides when you load it side to side. It could possibly snap the bolt off if it pulls away from the main frame with enough leverage. (i'm only speculating from experience)

But that's just an observation from a picture on the internet. I'm not judging the integrity 100% just curious about a possible safety issue.

In line with what "ultimatefighter" was talking about. When I made my top and bottom rails for my R6 subframe I put cut some round tube stock down and put it in the end of the square tube to prevent the bolts from squishing the rails down when torqued. The round was welded in after the pictures.

Subbed for action, I love me a yamaha build :D
yeah I was already thinking about that. the sub has to be finished, battery box, voltage reg mount, electronics mounts, etc. so it is something I will definitely do

·
Registered
269 Posts
To be honest.... making a stubby tail a little longer isn't going to do anything. My Buell xb12 still trashes my back in foul weather.... and the tail basically goes to the wheels axle. Unless you are going full on tail.... it doesn't matter how short it is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be honest.... making a stubby tail a little longer isn't going to do anything. My Buell xb12 still trashes my back in foul weather.... and the tail basically goes to the wheels axle. Unless you are going full on tail.... it doesn't matter how short it is.
then its staying as short as possible. what about a longer fender?

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Damn, I guess it's just one of those things you do for "beauty". I cut off the tail on my DD and it lasted a week before I was rigging something up. You don't realize it, but if there's a litte water on the road from someone washing out a parking lot, or whatever, your back is covered. Even with a riding jacket, it would get on my neck and anywhere it could.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts