Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some of you may remember seeing a post from way back of a knucklehead who thought he was going to put an 04 gsxr 600 motor in a 92 gsxr 600 frame. Yeah, that was me...needless to say, I am going a different way with the project.

I just picked up a beat up 7/11 without a title and I am swapping it over to my titled 92 600 frame. I have attached a few pics of progress below. I do need a couple things if anyone can help out: front wheel, alternator and starter for 1052 motor. Oh yeah, I'm in Egg Harbor City, New Jersey if anyone wants to lend a hand or stop by and check it out.

Here's the new acquisition, all stripped down

Here's the motor, you guys know if the cylinders are stock? I don't know these engines real well, but the bike had a lot of aftermarket parts on it.

Here's the frame and swinger that I will be using, I am not sure if I am going to go all black or half black, half polished.

I have 2 different bent front wheels :( The one that has the concave hats on the brake rotors is off the 92 (I prefer one of these so I can use the speedo drive), anyone know what the other wheel is off of?

Can anyone help me identify the forks that are on the bike? The one leaning up against it is from the 92 gsxr 600

I also have an 04-05 gsxr COMPLETE motor kit available. EVERYTHING you need, fuel pump, wire harness, exhaust, intake, radiator, etc. PM me if interested, will let it go cheap.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I am gonna take a closer look at the motor tonight. Is there a resident 1052 expert? I have read rumors that the starter clutch is unreliable, I have read it is easy to swap to an 1127 clutch and starter, maybe this would be worth doing since I have to get a starter anyways.

Yeah, I am excited, I think I am going to go black on black with a little bit of silver accents. I will be able to get all of the powdercoating done at work, btu the paint will most likely be from a can...for now.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man, I am chewing my fingernails right now. If I had my frame here, I would be stuffing the motor in it right now...but I left the motor at the machine shop at work. The suspense is going to make for a LONG day in the office tomorrow. They are so close, I really think it will work.

Hooligan, where do you live? There are a couple decent roads through bass river and chatsworth and the like, well, decent roads by NJ standards, that is.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I looked over the cylinders pretty good and there are NO identifying marks on them. Usually there would be a flat spot cast into the fins or something that the name or something would be stamped/cast/machined into. There is nothing though. Oh well, guess it is kind of a non-issue.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
From what I can tell, the front, and lower mounts will just need custom mount plates, the lower rear mount will work but may need a custom spacer, just the upper rear mount is an issue. I can't wait till thursday. I will get my frame back and will be posting pics of what the issues are

Stay tuned

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Well, I spent an enjoyable evening in the garage :rock:

It's a tight fit, but I made a lot of progress tonight. I got the rear lower mount worked out. Just had to bore out the bolt hole in the motor a little, cause the water cooled frame had a bigger engine mount bolt.

I have one of the top, front mount plates mocked up and the other one should be the same. I am going to make the lower mount plates tomorrow, they will be easy. Then it is time to deal with the upper rear mounts. That will be the hardest part, but I have a plan. I do have to clearance the lower frame rails a little to clear some protrusions on the oil pan.

It is not a direct swap, but definitely doable. There is not much wasted space around the motor though. Nothing a grinder can't fix :yeah:

Sorry, no pics tonight, but I'll get some tomorrow.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok, so here are a few pics I snapped, the clearances are TIGHT, but, it fits!

You can see that the lower rear mount is the same spacing on the oil cooled and water cooled models. That is the spacer that held the oil cooled motor in the 90 frame. Perfect fit. I did have to bore out the mount on the motor and the hole in the spacer slightly to fit the bigger engine mount bolt from the water cooled frame. Also, notice how tight the engine is going to be to the swingarm. Anyone know what the tab on the motor is that I circled? I can see that it is a threaded hole, but it has no corresponding bolt on the upper case :confused: I think I am going to grind that down some to help clear the swing arm.

You can see some of the extra clearance I had to make on the lower frame rail. Nothing a big ball peen hammer can't take care of!

You can see the temporary front engine brackets I made. These are just aluminum plate, because it is easy to work with with my very limited fabrication tools (a couple hand drills, sawzall, dremel, and grinder). I need to make some small adjustments, then I will have steel brackets made up. I still don't know what cylinders those are...there are NO markings anywhere on them, not even a 1052 stamp, which would appear on a stock set, right? I did noticed that the head has a nice little bit of porting done to it.

The next 2 pics show how close the front frame rail is to the valve cover. The engine seems pretty rigid, even without the 4th mount, but is that too close? I am going to make a little bit more room by smoothing out the frame welds a little, but it is still going to be tight.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The header was tight, I tried it before I had any of the mounts sorted. Then I moved the motor again and I meant to try the header again. But, I forgot too before I yanked the motor back out. Now I am doing valve lash before the motor goes back together and thus back into the frame. I think it will fit ok though.

Btw, the head on my 1052 has the shims for valve lash adjustment. So, it is a 90-91 head right? How do I tell if it is from a 750 or an 1100? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the shimmed head?

Some of the stock mounts are al and some are steel. I am going to go with steel. What do you think of using stainless for eng mount bolts?

Thanks again for all of the help and support, this forum is tops!

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
A stroker, eh? so you can;t use the shimmed head on a 1052 motor without using the long stroke cylinders? Would that be the cylinders from the 1127 or from a 750? What would that put the displacement at (without accounting for it maybe being bored out too).

These next two are pics of the thing on the back of the transmission housing that I think I can grind down some with no ill effects. Let me know if you think there would be a problem with this.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I don't really care right now which head it is, except that I need to get a valve cover gasket. Do you know what the width of each head is? Otherwise, I will just order one of each gasket and return the one that doesn't fit. I really don't want to spend the money on a head gasket right now.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts