Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
181 - 200 of 217 Posts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
how does it taste??? inquiring minds want to know! does it taste like victory yet??

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Wow, long time, no update! I have been around lurking from time to time, but life and other obsessions have gotten in the way. The bike is still sitting in the garage, and I have reached that time of year that I get itchy to start turning wrenches and cutting and grinding again. Over the last week I have gotten reacquainted with my little streetfighter in the garage and now I can't wait to ride her this spring.

I realized that I majorly screwed up my top triple when I drilled it and the bars end up a little crooked. No problem, I have 2 options there. I have another stock triple that I can drill (straight this time), or I can get some custom triples made :) I am hoping to get a good estimate on a set of triples and be able to buy them with some money the govt owes me (tax return). I also am strongly considering a motogadget mini for my instruments, but it is hard to swallow the price right now. Anyway, I am hoping that I will be posting some decent progress here in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

to do:
-triples
-custom seat (in progress)
-instruments
-finish tail light
-powdercoat last few bits
-tune
-ride :)

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
The motorcycle show over the weekend got me back in the mood, so I started and her for bit tonight. I was really surprised with how easy it started and ran once I warmed it a little. To be fair, it was pretty warm here today, in the 50s, so that isnt too bad. She does blow a good bit of smoke, which has me concerned, mostly about getting through inspection. I think it is just too rich though, so hopefully tweaking the carbs a little will sort that out.

Also, I had forgotten how loud the bike is! I may have made a mistake in cutting down the can as much as I did. Oh well, we'll see how it is riding it. BTW, if anyone wants to help with my inspection worries, drop me a pm.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been doing work...

I put up a thread about my engine teardown in another part of the site. Here are the pics from it to keep the whole build together:

I had a couple oil leaks on my motor so I decided to take off the head and replace a few gaskets. I knew there were some upgraded internals in the motor, but I was surprised what I found.

The first surprise was that the cylinders are o-ringed and the bike had a copper had gasket on it.

Next, I found some mystery pistons, they are marked H37H0 on the top. They ended up being 85mm wisecos that had the tops milled down a little.

I allready knew that there was a set of carrillo rods in it, and from what I can tell, the crank doesnt look like anything special.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Here are the bores, I had a friend of mine who does marine engine rebuilds hone them. There were some watermarks on the sleeves. He said it isn't optimal, but shouldn't be an issue.

There were big beefy studs, except for 2 stock ones! I got new APE studs to replace those 2.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
So, having said all of that, I spent until 2am in the garage last night putting the motor back together. I got some nice, new parts for it:

-new gaskets, copper head, spring steel base
-new APE studs to replace the 2 stock ones
-APE head nuts
-APE cam chain tensioner
-new wiseco rings
-a bunch of stock gaskets and seals

I got her all back together last night. Sorry, no pics of the assembly, but it was a comedy of errors. When I put the cylinders on the case, I got all 4 pistons started into the bores before I realized that I didn't have the cam chain guide inside the cylinders. I had to take them back off and start over. Then I got the cams timed and tightened down before I realized I forgot to put in the other cam chain guide. Had to take the cams off again...

In the end, it all went together pretty smoothly, had to helicoil a couple holes, but no big deal. I hope it sealed up well! Tonight I am planning on getting the motor back in the bike and get the rest of the freshly powdercoated parts on. I will get some pics tonight. So, standby.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
WOOHOO! glad to see the progress! Was happy to hear you were getting back on it at the NYC show!

so did you ever find out what those pistons were?? Sven? he knows!

:sven: knows all!

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
they are in fact carillos. The pistons are wiseco's, but they were modified. The dome was milled down some (I assume to lower CR, hopefully making it more streetable).

It took me forever to get a positive ID on the pistons. Wiseco told me twice that they were not wisecos. The guys on dragbike.com told me they were, so I pushed for the Wiseco guy to send the pics to someone who had been there a while. He confirmed what they were, and that they are still available!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
:doh:

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Today was a rough day of working on the fighter. It seemed like nothing wanted to go my way.

Just to give you an idea, here are a couple pics:

That is a broken banjo bolt and a stripped out starter gear.

So, the starter gear did me in for now. I will try to get as much done as I can. But that is really holding me up now.

Here is a couple of pics of how she site right now.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
which fucked up first? the starter gear or the banjo?

:doh:

keep at it!

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
the banjo was first. The starter gear ended my night for me. I put the bike back in the garage and went to get some general tso chicken for dinner.

Tomorrow I will work on filling in all of the details around the motor.

Oh yeah, I realized I ordered the wrong speed sender with my acewell guage too. The starter makes all of the rest of these issues seem small in comparison.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
I fixed my stripped out brake caliper and blead the front brakes again tonight. I also put on the grips, bar ends, and mirrors. It is really coming together now, its hard to believe.

I am just waiting for a starter now. I think I am over 90% complete, just have to get her to run now.

Hopefully I'll have my starter tomorrow and can get a maiden voyage in this weekend! I am really excited right now.

·
Not So Newbish :)
122 Posts
sweet build. I've got a '93 GSXR 1100W I'm working on once I get my tax return. Do you have a vid of the bike running?

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
Nice looking bike right there man :rock:

To bad with the alternator. Did you check the internals?
I would guess the carbon brush inside the alternator is worn out, there is a service limit for that. (new for $30 at your local Suzuki dealer)
Or the stator/rotor assembly needs some cleaning with sand paper.
Before you go and buy another alternator I would check on that first.

181 - 200 of 217 Posts