Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 218 Posts

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
I don't really care right now which head it is, except that I need to get a valve cover gasket. Do you know what the width of each head is? Otherwise, I will just order one of each gasket and return the one that doesn't fit. I really don't want to spend the money on a head gasket right now.
Did you ask for a gasket kit or only the valve cover gasket it self?
You should have a look for a 1100 slingshot gasket, cause you have such a valve cover.

Could you check for the numbers from below the intake boots? such numbers I mean

btw: you intake boots are '91 1100, it is what the 40CO means

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Maybe I have my terms confused...isn't the slingshot the 88+ and the slabside the 86-88? Or do those terms both mean the same thing? According to the parts diagrams, the 86-88 had the type of valve cover that I have and the 89+ had a bolt on vent? cover on top of the valve cover.

I am going to order the gasket by part number from the micro fiche...you can tell that it is an 1100 just by looking at the valve cover? How so? Again, thanks for the help.

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
yea you're right, it is slabside, damn typos, I shouldn't do five things at a time while at work
it is a 1100 cause the slabside 750 had a bold on breather/vent cover too, just like the newer models

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
sweet...so it must be an 1100 head because the 1100 valve cover fits on it...the 75 would be too narrow and the 1100 vc would not fit on it.

I'll take pics of under the intake boots tonight.
the valve covers are interchangeable from 750 and 1100
the gaskets are different as the 750 vent sticks out in riding direction (toward steering stem) and the 1100 shows to the right side

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I found another difference in the parts diagram...the 91 750 uses part number 14181-18c00 for header gaskets, the 91-92 1100 heads use 14181-40c00 anyone know what the difference is, is it a difference of diameter? if so, I could measure the head to see which head it is! Or is this one where I should order both gaskets and figure out which one fits?

Update: I found this, I assume that these dimensions are IDxODxthickness. I guess that doesnt help me much...I will measure the ones that are on the motor now

14181-40C00: 35.20 X 41.85 X 3.05MM

14181-18C00: 32 X 42X 5.5MM

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
from what I know they are only a little different and after they are used one time, they might be out of specs anyways, the headers are interchangeable as well

new gaskets OD/ID/Th
750 41.5 x 33 x 5.3 MM
1100 43.5 x 35 x 5.3 MM

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I had a long "honey do" list last night, so I didn't get much done. I tried to take pics of the bottom of the runners, but couldn't get any that were legible. I will try to read the numbers tonight.

I'll let you know what I find out.

BTW, I need to get some shims and was wondering if anyone has a kit and would be willing to trade the ones that I have that are out of spec for the ones I need.

Tonight I am hoping to get the upper rear engine mounts done and I need to bolt up all of the parts I have to try to wrap my head around what I still need.

I also would like to pick up an 01-04 gsxr subframe (even a bent one) if someone has one laying around in NJ or Philly.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
I cannot for the life of me figure this out...why do the front mounts have rubber bushings on these motors when the other 3 mounting points are hard mounts?
so the frame flex doesnt destroy the engine:)

to answer an earlier question. Slab side were the first gen frames, 85(canada) or 86-87. 88 models saw a lot of revisions, one of which were "slingshot" carbs. I think this name just stuck with the chassis which was again revised in 92.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I spent a nice, long evening in the garage tonight :party-smiley:

I really got a lot done! I made up my temporary rear mounts and pretty much bolted up most of the bike to see how it all fits up. Not too bad over all!

I forget who called it, but there is a clearance problem for one of the header tubes. I think I can just dent the frame some to make room for it though, it is just barely touching the frame now.

I still need to come up with a starter for this 1052 motor (I think I found one on ebay.uk!) and a straight spoke front wheel (anyone...) without breaking the bank, but it is coming together nicely!

Here's some pics I just took:

Looking good, I think:

Here are some closer shots of the engine mounts and how it fits:

Now for the headers:

One closing shot. Nice 92-95 tail section, one broken clip, but it is in good shape. I should be able to get a few bucks for it.

·
JON E. ROTTEN
7,694 Posts
^^^^^^+1

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Yeah, I guess I can dent the header instead...Not a bad idea.

I also have to relocate the bracket so I can get 2 springs onto that tube. Would it be ok with just one spring?

I am gonna put the front end on tonight and will check cable lengths. Then I need to make an inventory of bolts needed while I dissasemble it and it will be time to place a couple of parts orders, and start sand blasting. I know it is optimistic, but I am hoping ot be able to ride this thing by the middle of may!!!

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Crap. I just got a call from pingel they said the petcock I sent them was cracked and cannot be rebuilt. Will a stock petcock be able to keep up with the FCR carbs? I can't afford to shoke up the money for a new pingel right now. If so, does anyone have one they want to sell? BTW, I now have a pingel adaptor plate available if anyone needs one.

41 - 60 of 218 Posts