Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I know I ave a thread about my 900 'Stripfighter but I thought I should post up some pics of the Kz that started it all for me and lead to my user name.

A small amount of back story...

I bought it when I was 15 (circa 1997) for $600 with the help of my parents.

I spent quite a bit of $$ fixing it up into it's first incarnation. It was pretty much stock with the exception of a 1/4 cafe style fairing. (Sorry no pics.)

Then the cafe bug hit me and I ditched the handlebars for some clip-ons, tossed the front and rear fenders and threw on some rearsets. This second version was 2001-2002 or somewhere in there.

Soon after I discovered the streetfighter style and started version #3, sorta a cafe-fighter.
I kept the rearsets and clip-ons but ditched the 19"F/18"R skinny tire combo for some 17" hoops. I swapped to a modified Kz1000C police front end with a ZX11C front rim and brakes and mounted up a first gen Gsxr1100 swingarm and a ZX6D 4.5" rear rim with a beefy (at the time) 160 wide tire. I also had dual 4" dominators and a trimmed Buell fly screen.

The low clip-ons only lasted a couple of years, until I decided to go back with normal handlebars and a 8" Gs1100 headlight with the stock cluster. In this version, I fabbed up my own hydraulic clutch actuator using ZX7 parts and a Honda clutch line.

This brings us up to current times where I'm working on version #4.2. The back half of the bike remains the same as version #3 but I replaced the police front end with a '89-90 ZX7 RWU frontend that I got from chg380. The stem lengths were almost identical so only a bearing swap was needed. The stock ZX steering stops even worked without modding allowing 1/8-3/16" gap between the fork tubes and tank at full lock.

I just finished swapping in the front end and rebuilding the carbs so I thought a video was in order since I haven't heard the bike run in over two years. (life happens)...

It still needs a small list of things taken care of like final carb tuning, gauge mounts welded on the ZX upper triple clamp for the Kz cluster, rear brake bled, custom speedo cable, and getting the front fender back from my buddy after he paints it.

Overall I'm well pleased and can wait to take it out and raise some cane!!!

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot to add....I'm running a Historic license plate on it!! :rock:

Later, Doug

Reactions: scottyp

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking good Doug.

Thanks. I'm hoping my buddy will get the front fender back to me soon. I think that will help complete the look...well, that and a headlight and gauges.

Later, Doug

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i want one of these so bad. kick start liter bike. definitely in my future. cant wait to see what you do with it

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
The old KZ's are so freekin cool.

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gonna necro-bump my own thread.

So it's been almost 3 years since I last did anything more than push the Kz around.

Got it started a few days ago and now I'm wanting to get it back on the road.

So far I cleaned the rear M/C, flushed and bled the rear brakes. Up next is getting the fronts working. I was going to use the stock 4 pistons but they're hanging up and I bought a set of Gsxr1000 6-pots a while ago for just such an occasion. I'll need to turn up some tophat spacers but not a biggie.

I also need to paint the Zr7 front fender. Nice thing is that it uses the exact same mounting holes as the Zx7 forks.

I found out my leftover Gpz750 speedo cable fits the Zx7 speedo drive and the Kz speedometer.

On their way via eBay is a set of BS34 carbs from a later Kz and a single outlet Pingel fuel valve.

Hopefully I'll have it roadworthy soon.

Later, Doug

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: F'dup and RedLiner

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received the newer carbs and apart from most of the screw heads being mangled they appear to be in really good shape. Bad news on the Pingel fuel tap is that I wasn't thinking and got my thread requirements mixed up so the one I bought won't work. I did sell it and find another used one that has the right threads.

I dug out the necessary bigger intake boots I had stashed and mounted the carbs up. I had to make a new throttle cable bracket.

Also got two of the four brake caliper top hat spacers turned up.

I also scored a set of K&N air filters to replace the falling apart Chinese filters that came with the carbs. Just waiting for them and the fuel tap and hopefully I can take a short test ride.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Parts delivery today.

You can see the crap Chinese filter (or what's still mounted to the bike) in the last pic.

Anyone know the best way to soften the K&N filter boots. They're a bit hard. I know boiling intake boots in water works. Will that be ok for the filters?

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gonna play catch up here. Back in December, the storage unit where I was storing the Kz and Gsxr experienced a bit of flooding. The bikes were moved to higher ground but it wasn't high enough for the record flooding. After 4 days underwater, the flood receded and I found the bikes knocked over but with minimal amount of damage considering the situation.

During the time in storage I was slowly collecting pieces to update the Kz. I found a Zrx1100 swingarm and an installed but never used Z1 carved seat. I also bought a pair of RFY shocks that were rebuilt by CL MotoTech. I also picked up a set of Carrozzeria wheels but their fate is still undetermined.

After the recovering the Kz from the flood, I was able to get the bike running with a carb clean and a couple oil flushes. With the biggest hurdle conquered, I set about getting the swingarm to fit. I had to shave about 1/4" or so from the pivot and turn up some spacers to adapt the 20mm pivot of the arm to the Kz pivot bolt. Luckily, the arm missed the stock muffler brackets.

I ended up with a spare Brembo rear caliper so might as well put it to use. I pulled out some 5/8" 6061 plate and made a simple mount. I'll get some pics of the finished part later.

Then I found a Erion Racing muffler for cheap. It was way too long so I cut it down by 6" from 20" to 14".

Took quite a bit to decide on the final angle and position but I think I finalized the location.

I'll try to be a little more diligent in keeping the thread updated.

Later, Doug

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was able to get out to the garage for a few hours this evening.

Finished up the task of the rear brake mounting setup. Made a brake stay from 3/4" 6061 round stock.

Found out the brake line hoop on the Zrx arm was in the way so removed it

I also thinned mounting point for the brake stay on the caliper bracket by 1/8".

The rod misses the arm by less than 1/16".

Overall I'm happy with the setup.

Later, Doug

1 - 20 of 50 Posts