Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I must have a case of Project ADD as I hit a couple snags with the turbo GPz that killed my motivation with it so it's back off the lift and the Kz's back on.

I was thinking of entering the Build-Off but nothing ground breaking in the plans, mostly needed cosmetic TLC and a few relocation of some things....and fitting a 5.5" rear rim vs the current 4.5". Plus I already started on it. Not really "build-off worthy" compared to some members' all out efforts.

Right now the front end is entirely disassembled to get cleaned up and coated with some paint.

More pics as I make more progress.

Later, Doug

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Yeah, fuck it. It has been decided, you are in... :D

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Moving back over to one of the slowest build threads EVER. The winter build-off attempt was a flop but progress was made never-the-less.

Finally got the front tire mounted on the rim. Totally shouldn't have but I lifted it up and slid the front axle through. At least now, I can roll the bike off the lift if need be. I'm really happy with the look. (Pics are sucky though.)

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Finished up my caliper bracket a while ago and didn't realize I didn't post pics due to the PB scam.

Also changed up my exhaust today. Bought either an old Kerker or MAC or maybe Jardine exhaust and modded an Aprilia midpipe and pipe from Danmoto.

Before with a V&H header, Erion muffler and a homemade welded midpipe...

Now...

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My Gsxr1000 rearsets showed up. The eBay seller partially disassembled them for shipping purposes and the box ended up with a hole in it. Received the box with a few bolts missing but all of the critical rearset pieces were there.

I've been thinking of making my own rearsets based on the placement of the Tarozzi rearsets I was using. So I conbined some of the Arashi bits with my mockup bracket.

Finally got my welder back up and running so I finished my taillight and license plate bracket.

Lastly, I picked up these cool exhaust stud nut things to trick up the exhaust attaching method.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for the compliments. Seems like this project is slow moving and I suppose it is. I'm hoping to get both my Kz1000's on the road for spring but we'll see. My to-do list is fairly short on each but so is my budget.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Apparently, I’ve done nothing of significance in 3 months. I blame the cold weather and the holidays. :doh:

Finally got my tire mounted on the nice Zx11 rear wheel. Also, finished modding the sprocket carrier by countersinking the studs by 5mm after I thinned it down a few months ago. Just need to clean, mask it off and paint it and it’ll be finished too.

Threw some pieces back on to see how it’s coming together.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Been a bit...

Finally figured out what I was doing with my custom rearsets. Combined some parts from Vortex, Honda, Ducati and my own to create them.

Started modifying an old tank I had to have a flush filler cap.

Added a STACK tach to an original gauge housing.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Picked up some old skool Hi Point wheels. The finish is crap so I’ll probable strip the anodizing and perhaps polish them. Their made for a Zx11D so they have provisions for a speedo drive. Only issue is the front is setup for a 25mm axle and the Zx7 forks I have use a 20mm. I’m going to have to get creative as a bearing with a 20mm ID is 2mm wider and I’ll lose my speedo drive as the receiver and snap ring won’t fit on the left side of the front wheel.

The rear uses the same 20mm axle as the Zrx swingarm. Also got a surprise as the rear wheel is 6” and not 5.5” that I was expecting. Downside of that is clearances are TIGHT and the wheel is offset to the right some. I’ll need to shave down the carrier to try and correct the location of the wheel and chain run.

Later, Doug

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Couldn’t you have some bushings machined to adapt the 25mm forks to the 20mm axel so you could retain the Speedo drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Couldn’t you have some bushings machined to adapt the 25mm forks to the 20mm axel so you could retain the Speedo drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s probably what I’ll do. I might get the 25mm speedo drive, turn the “spacer” down then make up a double sided top hat bushing to reduce the diameter of the drive and the bearing at the same time. I didn’t put too much thought into it yet as it was late last night when I was mocking things up.

Later,Doug

21 - 40 of 50 Posts