Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Man, those wheels are badass :rock: Nice choice on those.

Thanks man! I don’t think I’ve ever seen an old Kz with HiPoints..especially a 6” rear. Probably a good reason for that. :doh:

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

Started to try and figure out spacers to center the front wheel. Thought the best way to measure is to install the rotors and use the calipers to roughly center the rotors in the calipers. Then remove the calipers and measure from a caliper mounting lug to the rotor.

Anyone have a better idea?

Later, Doug

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
That sounds like the best way to me. That’s how I centered the wheel on my state line when I upgraded to a 21” front wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Is my bike ok?
15,243 Posts
Are you talking about working the master cylinder to cause the calipers to pinch the rotors? Because the pistons may not extend at equal rates if you try that. I always put the wheel in place pushed all the way against one axle spacer. Then measure from the lip of the rim to the fork legs and see how far off center I am. If I'm 10mm off center than I know I need to add or remove 5mm to that spacer to correct it. It's very hard to reach down around the axle area to measure accurately, so I take my dimensions up high and just transfer them.

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Are you talking about working the master cylinder to cause the calipers to pinch the rotors?

No. I’m just using the split in the caliper halves to roughly line up the rotors.

I think my biggest disadvantage is the 25mm bearing ID and the 20mm axle. The wheel wants to move around too much. I think I’ll make up mock-up bearings from some Delrin I have. That way everything is snug.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Later, Doug

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
calipers aren't always perfectly centered in my experience (the one on my supermoto certainly isn't)

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yet another necro-bump to my own thread. :doh
I couldn’t resist and bought yet another set of wheels for this bike. This time they are Ducati GT1000 laced wheels. I didn’t realize until after I bought them that the rim itself is steel. Which means they are HEAVY! But hey, they’ll look way cool.

Here’s a pic dump…

Later, Doug

·
Registered
600er Bandit mit 1052 ccm GSXR Motor
315 Posts
Yet another necro-bump to my own thread. :doh
I couldn’t resist and bought yet another set of wheels for this bike. This time they are Ducati GT1000 laced wheels. I didn’t realize until after I bought them that the rim itself is steel. Which means they are HEAVY! But hey, they’ll look way cool.

Here’s a pic dump…

Later, Doug

Fuck the weight!!!!! Just looks cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings Andy

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I fitted the front wheel tonight. It was EASY! A couple mock-up bearings and spacers, offset the rotors 5mm, shorten a new crush tube to the OEM Duc length and BOOM!

Seems like there should be more to it. I did have to order another set of caliper brackets for the Brembo calipers. The new ones are made for use with 10mm bigger rotors. The fork are set up for stock 310mm rotors and the Ducati rotors are 320mm. Still need to purchase the correct bearings, better fitting seals and inner tube, machine the final versions of the axle spacers, and a tire. That will finalize the front wheel swap.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Christmas came several months early this year.

If anyone has suggestions on nice looking rotor mount hardware,let me know. Titanium looks great but is expensive and unnecessary. Stock Ducati rotor bolts look like they belong on industrial equipment. I was thinking of some A4 button head screws but not sure. Thoughts?

Later, Doug

Reactions: Auser6guy
41 - 50 of 50 Posts