Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Duc huntin season
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's coming together, so thought it was time for an offical build thread. Apologize for repeating some of these pics..I wanted to get these in the proper category and didn't know how to get a current link moved over here.
Anyway, here come the pics. All sorts of comments welcome.

It all started with these...added risers to get a more comfortable ride about April '09 and could only raise them an 1" without them banging the fairing. $300 for an inch didn't seem like money well spent, so made an executive decision to toss the fairing. Didn't realize the chain of events that would start!

Discovered this site in June and realized the potential. So many bikes and dudes on here giving me great ideas, so hopefully version II will be an improvement.

It all started with this...

Fighter Version 1

I'd like to do something different to the front now..ideas?

Started putting things back together after painting the frame/swingarm

Rusty Pipes

Cut down from 19.5" to 10"

Sanded off chrome

Found a thrashed solo tail on eBay - big crack on other side

In primer, fitting brake light (Aprilla Milli) purchased from Hybrid

Looks good I think!

Fabricated bracket on sub-frame

Ex lime-green wheels back from powder-coater (60% gloss)

Coming together

Added more minor tidbits - HEL rear brake line, new sprocket, brake pads.

Decided the front fender needed some kind of modification...whacked it with the Dremel.

OK, at this point Everybody's GAYDAR will be going off. If you can't see the label I'm spraying it Pastel Blue. I haven't seen that color yet on here, so I'm either a genius or the bike will be so flaming gay, it will self-ignite.
I really dig the White/Black themes I've seen on here so that was my thought process.

Cheap gun, but it works :thumbsup:

No paint booth...so use what ya got!

Not the finished product...these are going to the Airbrush artist tomorrow.
I think my idea will look cool...will post pics very soon.

Well, that's it for now. A couple of things left do do and I'll be back on the road.
1) Fabricate Rear Signal Light/Tag bracket
2) Relocate-replace coolant overflow bottle
3) Clean up headlight/instrument wiring

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Dude I'm lovin it. I always thought baby or light blue with black would look pretty damn trick. I'm excited to see this thing going back together.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Haha ZING!
Bike looks cool, I like that you've stuck with an OEM tail. Always liked those bikes..never had a chance to ride one though!

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Looks like good clean work man.... Looking forward to seeing what you get airbrushed on there!

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
good so far. looks like youll need some new gauges in the future

·
Duc huntin season
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good so far. looks like youll need some new gauges in the future
Yea, I agree...that will be a Winter project. I'm not happy with the front of the bike.
It was put together before I really had a look at other fighters...didn't know what I wanted, it was more about function. I'm thinking digital guages and new lights (stacked projectors).

·
Duc huntin season
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can i ask how you decided to not round the fender back out after cutting it? BTW, i like the light blue's too. I say go Gulf colors on it.
I kept it squared for a couple of reasons 1) thought it looked a little tougher, 2) Fits the paint scheme that the painter is airbrusing on this week.

I do like that Gulf livery!

·
Duc huntin season
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I'm waiting for the airbrush painter (~10 days), ugh. I managed a couple of minor additions.
The coolant overflow bottle had to be relocated as the solo tail just wouldn't fit. Strange, as I remember when I used to race this bike, I had a solo tail (which seems identical), and I never messed with the overflow...weird.

So, I found a good spot for it underneath the tail, clamped to the sub-frame.
A $3.00 investment!

1 NOS energy drink $1.99. Taste like shit, so I dumped it out. 2 threaded nylon hose barbs with a dab of silicon. Oh yea, and a sticker.

I also created a new label for my exhaust canister. Since the site was responsibe for the inspiration and knowledge of it's new length, seemed appropriate to honor it.

·
Duc huntin season
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally have my parts back from the painter. His work schedule was hectic, so took a little longer than expected.
I think he captured just what I wanted, so I wasn't bothered by the delay...stuff happens.

Here's the initial sketch I put on paper. I wanted something original, though I know the rust/rivots thing definitely isn't.

I haven't seen a "drum/barrel look" done to a tank yet so maybe I dreamed up something
unique??

That's a painted on seam...looks almost real.

I really like the black/military/distressed look of some fighters on the sight here, so that was some of my inspiration.

My idea was to make the tank look like a rusty, leaky, drum of toxic shit, and the tail and fender
patched, rusty metal. Was going to go with fluid coming out of holes on the rear tail, but then thought that really didn't make sense and instead decided to go with more rivot seams.

Knowing the parts would be painted
rust, I came up with pastel blue for the base - figuring that would be a good combo.

This is just a mock up, nothing fastened on yet. I'll be spraying the parts with a flat-clear to dull things down a bit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts