Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Brandon. I have posted in the newbie section and I have lurked for a a month or two. I bought this 1995 900 RR last summer. It has been fully checked out and has a swapped identical 900 RR engine with roughly 11,000 miles. The bike It's self has about 58,000.

This is how it looked when i bought it.

Took her home shined her up and rode her for a while.

But I started to not like the way she looked and decided I was going to sell the bike and try to get something else but she didn't sell and I started looking at ways I could modify the bike to make it look more modern and not so bulky and outdated. That's when I came across some really nice 900 RR fighters and I fell in love and knew that's what I wanted to do. I began lurking this site and immediately registered and started checking out everyone's builds.

So I just jumped right in and removed the fairings, stock headlight, and mounted my stock gauges for now until I can afford a nice aftermarket one and ordered some bar end mirrors.

got some new grips..just starting small and working my way up

Ordered a 7 inch round headlight 55 w High and low beam DOT approved I found out the hard way first I ordered china headlight and I didn't read the fine print..It was a piece of junk I have flashlights that are brighter. So I made some simple brackets and fitted the headlight.

Haven't had the money to spend on parts so I have been working on polishing my frame.

Its getting there but still have alot of work to do on it this is only up to 400 grit. Going to a mirror finish. I plan on doing some sort of headlight fairing next and lots of mods to come. The only issue this bike has right now is my fan isn't kicking on when my temp gets up and if I'm riding i have to keep moving to keep it cool. Any suggestion as to what may be the issue?

Thanks for looking guys and there will be more updates to come!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Looking good so far. The biggest visual change you could possibly make is to do a tail swap. I'm partial to the 04'+ R1 tail, with under seat exhausts- myself. But anything you choose will be a huge improvement. Keep up the good work

·
old fart
3,752 Posts
check the fan fuse.
check the fan by taking the wire from the fan switch (should be on the left of the rad) and earth it out, the fan should work!
then check the fan switch by putting it in a pan of boiling water, there should be NO continuity until water gets to just before boiling point.
hope this helps

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking good so far. The biggest visual change you could possibly make is to do a tail swap. I'm partial to the 04'+ R1 tail, with under seat exhausts- myself. But anything you choose will be a huge improvement. Keep up the good work
Yeah I am for sure going to get rid of that ugly fat tail. Was looking at a 05 gsxr 600 tail and also thought about r1 tail aswell. Just looking for somthing that wont be too hard to fit seeing as this is my first fighter I was hoping someone might know of a step by step guide or at least a refrence..i checked out quite a few on here and I am a bit nervous on tackling a tail swap but I have all you wonderful, knowlegable people holding my hand along the way. Thank you for stoping by my page and for your input.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check the fan fuse.
check the fan by taking the wire from the fan switch (should be on the left of the rad) and earth it out, the fan should work!
then check the fan switch by putting it in a pan of boiling water, there should be NO continuity until water gets to just before boiling point.
hope this helps
Ok I will try that when I get off work. Thank you for your wisdom good sir!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mini Update: I ordered some Brackets from china for like 10 bucks and They look alot better. Got those mounted.

Also Started my 04-05 gsxr 600/ 750 tail conversion. Got The Fairing coming in the mail. Bought A brand new solid black one off eBay. Looks like this:

So I went ahead and stripped my sub frame down and its ready to be chopped. Just waiting for the fairing to arrive. Now I need to get a gsxr 04-05 seat, a rear seat cowl, under tail, and taillight. Money is a little tight right now so I have to buy things a little at a time. Here Is how my sub frame looks:

My ohlins shock:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Update: Okay! So I have been working alot on the bike and here is the progress so far.

plasti dipped tank

chopped sub frame and relocated everything under the tank made a few brackets and such to mount rectifier and battery.

tail piece came in

plasti dipped frame instead of polishing..I decided I like black way better.

under tail came.. had to paint it

04-05 gsxr 600/750 led tail light came in

After alot of work I finally got The tail finished and this is where I am and how the bike currently looks.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
If you're on a tight budget and looking for a decent gauge, I set up a Trail Tech Vapor for mine - less than $100 on Amazon and it's awesome. There's a couple pics of it on my build thread, just click the image in my signature!

Great looking bike, although I would say an MT03 headlight and a different rear cowl would look downright awesome on there. The cowl is just a little too high for my tastes.

Also, I would get the swinger and the rear section painted to match. It sounds like you're in a similar situation to me... I'm about to buy cheap automotive enamel in the colors I want and then use a 2k clear coat to seal it against the elements.

Good luck with the build!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're on a tight budget and looking for a decent gauge, I set up a Trail Tech Vapor for mine - less than $100 on Amazon and it's awesome. There's a couple pics of it on my build thread, just click the image in my signature!

Great looking bike, although I would say an MT03 headlight and a different rear cowl would look downright awesome on there. The cowl is just a little too high for my tastes.

Also, I would get the swinger and the rear section painted to match. It sounds like you're in a similar situation to me... I'm about to buy cheap automotive enamel in the colors I want and then use a 2k clear coat to seal it against the elements.

Good luck with the build!
I am on sort of a tight budget.. However, That gauge isn't bad but I'll probably save up for a koso because I want something pretty small and compact. I agree with you on the headlight I will be upgrading it later Mt03 is one of my favorites. I Just made my tail high like that on purpose I looked at several different angles and I just really like a high ass! Haha, but everyone likes different things but I like it. The stock tail was super low and bulky. Thanks for the tips man!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts