Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike when I first bought it. Too much plastic junk. Excluding the crap body work, the bike was sweet. Frame good, no rust, motor felt brand new, I couldn't ask for a better start.

Took it for a full fairing ride in between commutes back and forth to work.

Then today, I had time to get into it. I'm building my bike in phases. Decided it's what will work best for me. I ride my bike daily for transportation. My first phase is a rat / trial phase for a fighter.

What I accomplished today:
-Stripped
-Bobbed the seat
-Bobbed the subframe as much as possible without welding
-Routed wires, shortened what I could, just tucked the rest since I'm sure of what the final length will be and I only want to build the harness once.
-Flipped clips on...then decided my wrist hurt too much(Carpel Tunnel Syndrome), and flipped back to stock. Vortex clip ons in the future.
-Fixed a few things that needed fixing
-Found a fuel leak
-Relocated tag and tail light
-Caught a falling motorcycle that was in the process of crushing me sitting beside it, and got it back on the stand before it did so.

Bike as of 9am this morning

Nice little surprise when removing the airbox

Stripping the bike down

More progress

Some mock ups

First try at a tail light mount

As it sits now.

Got a little more cleaning up to do, but it feels good for the project to be underway. I got a free headlight coming tomorrow, supposedly. Then I'm going to temporarily mount some turn signals, and get a hold of some sheet metal for side "fairings". I also got finish the trimmed fairing belly pan. Should be back on the road by end of day tomorrow or early Sunday.

·
156 Posts
this has the look of an interesting build, I'll be watching this one. stuff i'd do:

1. get rid of the bloody drash bars (suspect you will anyway!)
2. paint your garage floor (OCD going mental looking at it in them pics)

looking good tho, looks like a healthy bike to work with :)

·
The Hooligan
352 Posts
Good start mate, Spitting image of the f2 I just bought!

Subscribed

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finished the weekend build. Got something more fun to ride around on for now while I collect parts for more fun stuff.

End of day results:

Sold the fairings last night, so had some money.

Started the day by wiring turn signals. The signals were used, but they were good LEDs. Tested them to be sure by connected them to the battery terminals real quick. Good lights. Soldered everything, made a good harness, soldered in a tag light, hit the switch, no signals. Tested the circuits. Both circuits were good, good positive and ground. Switch worked. Plugged LEDs, they wouldn't work. Couldn't get power past the connection, even with a different connection. Weirdest electrical problem ever. But the tag light works at least.

I painted the seat bottom yesterday to get rid of the white plastic that was disgusting me. So I decided to take care of the nasty upper clamp today. Made it pretty. Then decided to take the tank down to bare metal. Upon sanding with 80 grit, I noticed there was a mint OEM painted tank underneath the rattle can. I had already ruined it sanding through, but decided to salvage what was left, go for a distressed rat rod look, and respray the black on the knee sides. Got a few good layers of clear on top of the distressed paint and the new rattle can. Then topped it off with high quality Advance Auto Parts pinstripe tape. Through the Cycle Gear clearance tank protector on, and modified some clearance knock off bar end mirrors to fit on the bars since I had some issues.

Sawzalled the belly pan until I can borrow or buy a dremel.

Then did some more harness work. Ran my headlight harness up for when I get the headlight I'll be using. Shortened some wires, got really good at soldering today, heatshrinked, gathered, routed, and all good stuff. Threw the fairing stay back on since it was supposed to sell, but the guy flaked, and zip tied the OEM headlight back on. Now I'm about to take it on it's first naked ride.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Coming along nicely! You've definitely got the right idea! Now, get that fairing stay gone (since you dont have fairiings) and mount the headlight to the forks cuz it looks weird as hell out there!

Let us know how the maiden voyage goes! I'm sure you'll love it.

side note, if you dont like flipped clips, mbe try dirtbars? sits you upright and you can't really be on ur wrists. :twocents:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fairings stay as just so I could ride tonight. was supposed to have a 6" round light but it never got it. I'm thinking of dirt bars, but waiting til I get the front end so I can see how the new clip ons feel before drilling for risers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up a can of VHT super high temp paint for the exhaust. Got rid of the years of paint, abuse, weather, and road grime. (see previous posts above for condition of headers) I smoothed the header pipes out to an almost polished level, then painted them. Piss poor prep produces piss poor paint, right? I think I got tennis elbow after doing all the sanding, but it was worth it in the end. Also smoothed out some previous fiberglass repairs from the previous owner and quickly painted the belly pan. Sanded down some rash sections on the muffler too, prepped and painted it, along with the worn out red end cap. Pictures from the cell phone, will get better ones when I go for another ride.

·
Powder Guy
919 Posts
Jesus man next time you do a project like that header have it sandblasted, save your elbow and something that small should be under 10$

·
can't ride for shit
195 Posts
I just checked out the photos... nice work! I really like the way the revealed logo looks on the tank. :thumbsup:

The headers and can look clean, but the midpipe stands out since it's not painted. Any plans for that?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just checked out the photos... nice work! I really like the way the revealed logo looks on the tank. :thumbsup:

The headers and can look clean, but the midpipe stands out since it's not painted. Any plans for that?
Sandblasted and painted black. I ran out of black before I could get to it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Went out in the garage to do laundry and started going OCD over the bike like normal. Midpipe was bugging me so I yanked it off and finished off the silver I had left.

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
I agree with hurley. I really like the look of the logo on the tank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I was super stoked when I found the logo. I was hitting it with 80 grit trying to get it to bare metal. Then the logo peaked through and I had to work with it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Got tired of looking at the taillight and the gap behind the seat. It wasn't angled right, looked out of place, and my mount was weak. Tucked it in, measured, cut some more seat pan out, made clearance, and bolted it up to a stronger mount. Routed wires again. And am a lot happier. Seat covering looks like poop. But I want different material soon anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sometimes I hate my friends. After spending time notching the seat and all to clean up this old tail light, and friends knowing the major drawback to my bike being the tail light, I get a message from one of my friends saying it looks good, but I can have a 600RR tail light to make it look better. So looks like more freebie lights in the near future, and another tail light set up. Probably wait til I build the subframe to mount the 600RR light so this one wasn't such a waste of time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts