Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I'm not only a warehouse supervisor but also a semi-pro freelance photographer (what a combo, no?). I shoot mostly fashion so getting models and a minimal (but talented) crew is easy for me. I am working on a secondary portfolio of nothing but bike stuff to submit to mags like 2-Wheel Tuner and Super Streetbike.

I don't want to shoot the typical babe/bike "Easy Rider" crap, but would love to hear what you guys think. Here's a pic of my Bandit (need to shoot some updated pics of it already, lol), and one of the models:

And here's a link to the rest (so far)

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
nice... very nice

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
I like it because it has artistic elements.. instead of just being a slutty chick next to a nice bike. You can tell a photographer chose the picture and not a magazine editor, hah hah!

·
Registered
19 Posts

I really like this one. Do you have any portable lights you could use? It looks a bit all over the place atm.

They're all crackin' tho. :rock:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
You've got some really nice photos in there. you def. have the eye. your subject placement is good. subject is clear in all pics. distractions removed. blah blah. you've been to class.

some times i would disagree with your framing. and maybe some lighting, but thats either out of our control OR too dam expensive for us to control.

i hope that you'll be coming to the buildoff ghettogether to take pics?!

:rock: :D

oh i like this one lots!

Attachments

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
:shifty eyes: uhhh..what?? :D

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the kind words, guys :D

Neasden said:

I really like this one. Do you have any portable lights you could use? It looks a bit all over the place atm.

They're all crackin' tho. :rock:
Can you explain a little better what you mean by all over the place? I shot it too late in the morning, but in the shade and with a reflector (some have a little fill flash as well). I'd like your input.

The Green Lantern said:
looks good man
i like the one where she sittin on your bike,those bar ends look mean as fuck
I loved the spikes, but they have been swapped in favor of barend mirrors. I bought the mirrors with the idea of reselling if I did not like them, but truth be told, they are better than the stem mounts once I got used to their field of view.

929_adam said:
You've got some really nice photos in there. you def. have the eye. your subject placement is good. subject is clear in all pics. distractions removed. blah blah. you've been to class.

some times i would disagree with your framing. and maybe some lighting, but thats either out of our control OR too dam expensive for us to control.

oh i like this one lots!
Thanks, man. The closest I've been to going to class is doing one of those goofy NY Institute of Photography courses, but I returned the kit before the first assignment because it was putting me to sleep, and put some of the money I would've spent into books and more film. But I know what ya mean ;) :D

My biggest problem with lighting is that I have to carry everything on the bike. Try as I might, taking a monolight and portable battery on the back of the Bandit is just not doable, along with all the camera gear. I usually make do with the 580EX (I'm a Canon shooter) and a reflector and umbrella/stand setup (with sync cord). I want to get an Alien Bee monolight but again, I would be limited to indoors as carrying the battery might prove impossible.

Can you give me examples of where you didn't like the composition so much? I usually shoot low and close, but with a wide angle for the distortion. Sometimes I mix it up a little with a telephoto, or go wide all the way.

The buildoff get-together would be awesome, but I don't get to go on vacation till the week after :( One of my crew at work already requested that week sometime back, and he's my backup when I'm not there so I have to fill in for him. But at least I'll be hitting Deals Gap again when I do go!

·
Hawk GT's are Cool
1,482 Posts
929_adam said:

oh i like this one lots!
I think there is too much light on the girl, just looks outta place

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sanitys said:
I think there is too much light on the girl, just looks outta place
The intention was to make her pop - this is actually one of my fashion photos, it's not about the bike at all (just a prop). Funnily enough, this is not one of my top faves in my portfolio, yet alot of fashion people (models, stylists, etc.) go ga-ga over it :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts