Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

My Big Build

161K views 992 replies 71 participants last post by  CK 187 
#1 ·
Decided 30 years ago I was going to build my own frame.... unless immortality kicks in soon I better get my finger out

A friend was selling this for a good price

so after a long day of driving

So now that the Bandikat is put to bed I reckon the time is now

this will be a long term thang, to be honest the full frame thing is a little daunting,

in for a penny tho

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
the CB13 frame is sitting in the shed waiting for Nov 1st, game plan is to get rid of everyone else's jobs by then, tear into the fab of the 13, then as soon as it's out the door get the 1000 frame in the jig

Discussion starter · #11 ·
subbed for the BFT frame build :rock:

I know you've done a swingarm before. But Are you gunna go full on, balls deep & do one for this too ......

......go on, you know you want too ;)
frame, bodywork, swingarm the worx :thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #20 ·
I dug through the box of things that might come in useful today, found a thing to help make an adjustable support, just needed to turn an insert for it. Figured it better than a block of wood

unfortunately, even after chopping it down I couldn't get the frame at 23.5', the sump plug ended up touching

so I dismantled the swingarm jig and managed to get the spindle through the frame

the adjustable support can hold it while i make inserts to reduce the frame down to 20mm, centering the spindle properly

once that's done the front can be raised to the proper angle , something to pivot on

Discussion starter · #21 ·
not much done on this today, but I was quite pleased when packing all the stuff I removed from the engine / frame , to see how little by way of electrical gubbins there is , should be easy enough to hide away . I'll need a power commander, second hand ones for K4 1000's seem a little thin on the ground , K4 750's on the other hand are plentiful, so we're going to call dynojet and see if they are compatible

I did remove the butterfly from inside the link pipe, doing away with a bundle wires, two control cables and black box

Discussion starter · #30 ·
time to get the frame to the proper angle, much easier now I have the swingarm spindle to pivot on

meant to be 23.5, but this'll do, it's more for visual than anything as all the other points will be jigged in relation to it

my adjustable support comes in handy again

Decided to shorten the base of the jig, made it long enough for all eventualities, but to be honest I need it to be more movable, there's no way I could get to both sides of it to make the frame

that's it about 3ft shorter ( chopped a little off the other end too )

this plate will tie onto the base and have fittings welded to it to secure the engine

going to make a plate up to bolt onto the exhaust studs

a second plate sits on the other side

it'll have a post like so

that'll connect to these

one in the top shock mount

the other in the linkage mount

unfortunately the lower one is a few thou too wide , need to get me to a lathe , resisted the temptation to buff it down, frame will only be as good as the jig

Discussion starter · #33 ·
I wasn't happy that the cross piece of the jig was spot on, so I loosened everything off and took the swingarm pivot pin back out. While I was putting it all back together I remembered I had a steel tube with inserts in the ends with 20mm holes, used it while putting new pivot points in the Z650 frame, so that's in the frame now ready for attaching to the jig

It has a mashup of spacers along with it, but I'll make proper ones

the lower insert was trimmed to length

and the front mounting plates started

If all goes to plan the old frame will be off tomorrow

Discussion starter · #36 ·
the old frame is off the jig, today has been a battle between me trying to get things done and my inner chimp wanting to smash the whole fuckin place ...... I fed him beer and hoped for the best .

I've been checking the specs of the new GSR compared to the GSXR, the GSXR has a rake angle of 23.5' where as the high barred GSR is 25' , the last thing I want is to go to all this grief and end up with a bike that's super twitchy and tries to launch me into the scenery at every opportunity (i'm old enough to realise I'm no super hero)....

soo I'll change the neck angle a bit , make adjustable offset yokes (letting me set the trail ) , an adjustable swingarm pivot and ride height adjuster for the shock... hopefully that'll be enough to set it up

:ttiwwop:

I'm having a cup of tea..... pics soon

Discussion starter · #37 ·
looks like I'm done welding for the next week or so

but I was able to get to this point

I'll need to collect the throttle bodies and airbox, should have done that yesterday when I was at the shop

but since I'd got this far I had a mess about with flexi pipe

Discussion starter · #38 ·
31st Dec.. 23:00hr...what to do ?

design frame components

that's the inserts for the adjustable swingarm pivot point drawn up , they are of course subject to change, but the basics are there, I can get 5mm up or down with these

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.