Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figured I'd start a thread to chronicle the work being done on my buddy's 748 he picked up last summer. It's been sitting in the garage for 4 months waiting for me to wire the up the acewell gauge...but it's cold and I'm lazy lol.

Anyway, I somehow got roped into doing most of the work and as such thought I might start a thread so we can all see how this train wreck turns out haha.

Here's where we start.....

He lowered the subframe and started messing with sheet metal. Not really sure what the hell's going on with that but I told him he needs to sort that shit before I make any attempts to wire up the rear and sort battery placement. Set the fork height and cleaned the front calipers and installed the speedo drive (was a track bike running just a spacer)

He had spent several hundred bucks trying to modify the oe top triple after he didn't want to buy the LSL kit. Well, after several months and two worthless machine shops he bought the LSL kit finally anyway. So, got the top triple installed. Mounted the brake/clutch masters and sorted routing on the throttle. No binds at all, happy about that. I did have to dismantle and rebuilt the left switch gear, that was annoying. Looking pretty awesome so far though, that LSL get up is sweet!

Was kind of bummed that speigler supplied the wrong banjo size though, they sent m10 x1.25's instead of the correct 1.0's so that sucked ass! My buddy called sat afternoon and got that sorted and snagged be a set of black banjo fittings for me too as compensation for doing the work on his bike haha.

Finally had to figure out a way to mount the gauge as we didn't want to drill into that beautiful top triple. Figured out this nifty idea which should work perfect.

So....we're waiting on new banjo bolts to get the new lines installed and bled. I have to wire up the gauge and build a jump lead for the vertical coil to get the tach working and swap connectors on the line for the speedo pickup.

Already know the bike runs as I had it fired up the day he brought it home.

Goal is to get it rideable by mid march. My buddy is in charge of sorting the body work and exhaust. I'm just handling the basic mechanical and electric stuff since he doesn't want to deal with it and is busy with his magna and sabre projects lol.

So...that's the scoop. Will update as we give a shit and find time to work on it. :D

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Updates....

My buddy finally got the clutch rod bushing in for the pressure plate so we've got the clutch back together and functional again (plates are toasted though, it's on borrowed time.)

Also, I got the Acewell 4553 all wired up finally. Just missing a neutral switch but it is functional.

Looks like a damn rats nest right now lol. He still hasn't sorted his headlight situation. Split between a single 5 inch unit or something projector wise with numberplate. I'm partial to the number plate as it would really help hide the wiring and I've been trying to convince him on a flat track tail too which would be fuckin' tits!

Quick vid, also got the remote switch hooked up on his bike as well. Almost ready to fire up. Just need to put the wiring back in the frame and organize it a bit.

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dude. Yeah we were poking around in sears a few weeks back trying to snag some stainless hardware for the brake and clutch masters and stumbled on them. Seems like the perfect solution since he wanted the gauge mounted to the bar and not the triple.

I've been thinking about picking up a few to build a quick removable mount for an ammo box on the left side of my thruxton too. Seems like an ultra convenient mount. Hardened steel to so they can be drilled and tapped. Will sort a thread for that at a later date.

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
Somehow missed this! Subbed now.

I'm having some probs with flickering idiot lights on my acewell, did you have any problems like that with yours?

Looking forward to another cracking build!

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only problem I've had is the neutral light sorta starts to light dimly after riding for a while but I think thats from heat in the switch causing it to make partial contact internally.

Which lights are giving you shit? Maybe a finicky ground? The ground lead is key on this thing since its a single ground for everything. Could be a failing sensor too maybe?

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
It's all the idiot lights, they pulse very weakly. ATM i've come to the theory with Shinyribs that it might be induced current from the front coil. More testing tonight.

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm, are the coils on your bike way up front by the harness? I could see that certainly being a thing if the coil or plug wire is routed right next to the gauge harness.

Coils on the ducs are mounted at the mid point on the frame so I haven't run into that issue.

If you fire the bike up with only the connector for the idiot lights disconnected do they still flicker? If nothing lights at the very least you've definitely ruled out the gauge itself as faulty I'd think. Let me know what ya find, curious in case I run into something similar down the road.

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
Hmmm, are the coils on your bike way up front by the harness?
Bingo:

Right behind that coil above the rad (that's an old pic that connector coming from under the tank has also moved behind the coil too!)

Anyways, i'll stop spamming up your thread now. DW!

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So this happened this weekend. Got the bitch running, hopped on it and blasted up and down the street like a mad man to make sure it was safe for my buddy. Then set him loose and took a vid. Still a long way to go but it's a hoot lol

Turn up the sound!:rock:

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Say what? I just watched the vid, it's definitely working.

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
It works, but I see no moto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Huh? 0.00-0.22 secs (then out of shot) 0.39-0.57secs = 70% moto in that video....:nuts:

Put yer glasses on man

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I was gonna say I'm pretty sure I definitely got my buddy on camera there. I mean, you can definitely hear the bike that's for sure lol.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Might as well post some pics to prove there was an "actual" "motorcycle" in that "video" you "posted" earlier. :D

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shenanigans!!!! Lol, I'll get some more pics and vid of it running up this week. Need to pull the tank to sort the wiring for the headlight and extend the brake switch wiring for the master so if will reach and build a small harness for the Monster tail llight I gave my buddy to run. Last thing after that is to drain the coolant so I can pull the sensor junction pipe and install the acewell sensor. Then just a matter of tidying up the wiring.

So glad I'm only in charge of the mechanical and don't have to mess with it cosmetically at all. Still trying to convince my buddy that a flat track tail would look bad ass. He's moving to Charlotte in a month though so he's gonna be on his own to make it look right. Least the fucker runs like a raped ape, that's all that really matters lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts