Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the winter I built a little CBR, I was putting finishing touches on it and test riding it.
Yesterday I installed a manual CCT to eliminate some horrible noise, and took it out riding.
Pulled over by State police and ticketed for the sideways plate, fair enough I guess, I see others running them on their stretched road dildos and open piped harleys.
I looked into the law and it seems to be,
Horizontal position
*minimum* 12 inches off the ground to the bottom of the plate.
I have 14 days to amend the plate issue and get inspected.

Now I like the way the bike turned out, the feedback from others has been all positive (except dumbass rocket riders with stretched arms on their 600s)
But, I don't want to get pulled over when I want to go riding.

Do I give up on the look of the bike and install a tail fairing and plate hanger, or do I do a Diavel type swingarm mounted behind the tire setup?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
One thing I just thought of. You might want to check to see if it's legal to curve the plate. That might be an issue if you put it behind the tire because it probably wouldn't look that great flat.

If it looks like you are good to go with curving the plate you're probably going to need a light too. One thing I don't think I've seen on most rear swing mounts but should be something easy to add.

Good luck!

·
Registered
705 Posts
If it was me I'd put the plate under the seat where those vertical LED bars are. You can move the light bars easy, or just get a brighter one to replace the one that's in the middle near the end of the seat. Way cleaner than having a big bracket off the swingarm, and your bike is clean. The law can't be that the plate has to be exactly 12" off the ground from the bottom of the plate, more likely that's the minimum or something. Stock sportbikes are way more than 12".

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like your Diavel idea. I think it'll look good, brother. Thanks for showing me this site BTW, I dig it.
Welcome in, about time you joined the madness.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it was me I'd put the plate under the seat where those vertical LED bars are. You can move the light bars easy, or just get a brighter one to replace the one that's in the middle near the end of the seat. Way cleaner than having a big bracket off the swingarm, and your bike is clean. The law can't be that the plate has to be exactly 12" off the ground from the bottom of the plate, more likely that's the minimum or something. Stock sportbikes are way more than 12".
I appreciate the input but I can almost guarantee that would get me in even more trouble, and you're right Minimum of 12 inches measured from the bottom of the plate, thanks for pointing that out, I will edit.

Reactions: n0regret5

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
I have mine mounted vertical but it is a lot closer to being almost straight up an down. However for inspection I always have it horizontal.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I've never gotten a bike inspected in my life. But current insurrection sticker or not, the cops can pull you over for funky tag mounting. As is already his problem. He needs a permanent solution, not just a sneak thru inspection solution.

Due to your lack of tail I think your behind the tire idea is the only option you're left with.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never gotten a bike inspected in my life. But current insurrection sticker or not, the cops can pull you over for funky tag mounting. As is already his problem. He needs a permanent solution, not just a sneak thru inspection solution.

Due to your lack of tail I think your behind the tire idea is the only option you're left with.
Exactly my situation, and keep in mind if I fight the ticket by changing the mount and getting inspected it is up to the cop inspecting it as to whether I've fixed it well enough.
Even well worded laws can be interpreted differently by 2 different people (me vs cop)

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
At least now if you have it inspected and they say it's good to go you can keep that with you to fight whatever dickhead cop has a problem with it. I don't have a problem with cops if I did something wrong but if they pull me over just to jerk me around, that's when they can fuck off.

You could flip it back but then the likely hood of you have problems again is pretty high as I'm sure you already knew that.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: n0regret5

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
+1 on the behind the wheel idea. And I must say that is one sweet looking cbr fighter. That an f2 or 3? I used to own a '91 f2, wouldn't be surprised if I some day ended up with another.

Reactions: CraZKenE13
1 - 20 of 29 Posts